Hit a plateu, calorie intake is already low enough..help?

Options
2»

Replies

• bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I do that too sometimes, I just wait it out! It can be 2-3 weeks. Sometimes if I go off my eating regime, it will kick me back into gear of losing weight again, sounds weird but it actually works. Good luck to you.

I do the same thing. I keep exercising, but don't track anything I eat for a week or two (and don't weigh if I can resist) and when I start reducing my calories again the weight just starts falling off from where I was stuck. I never gain when I take a week or two off, it just jumps my weightloss into overdrive.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I know it depends on the person, but if i start upping my calorie intake, (about 100-200 each week till i'm there), when should I start losing weight normally (about 2lbs p/w) again?

I didn't actually stop losing the first time because I caught it fast enough (from 1200 to 1600) But this time (from 1600 - 1800) I waited too long. I am hoping that I start again this week but it's anyone's guess. The longer you have been under eating the longer it will take to get you back to normal :(
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Raise your calories. :)
    Yup
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It's not scientific by any means, but in the past when I was doing a diet and hit a plateau, I'd think about digging a hole. The dirt always comes out of the top easier than it does at the bottom. Keep doing the right thing; your body has to dig deeper now.

Also think about archery. The arrow has to be pulled back before it can fly forward.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I know it depends on the person, but if i start upping my calorie intake, (about 100-200 each week till i'm there), when should I start losing weight normally (about 2lbs p/w) again?
    You cant expect to lose 2 pounds per week all the time. Just be patient. :smile: Well for me, the closer I get to my goal, the slower my weight comes off. Everybody is different though.
  • melissavaughan5
    Options
    Yeah i suppose, i'd just hoped to be down to my ultimate goal weight (120lbs) by the new year and with 30 lbs to go, I don't think that's gonna happen. Ah well, if i'm at least 10lbs away from my goal weight by the new year, i'll consider that an achievement :)
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I would say being down 30 lbs in 4 1/2 months is already a huge accomplishment so be happy with that and if you don't lose another 20 lbs in 2 months, that's ok. I've lost 34 lbs in 9 1/2 months and for me, that's perfectly ok. This is a life long journey, not something to be accomplished quickly and then you end up gaining it all back.

I agree with every single post that says to up your calorie intake. I am not your size by any means (much taller), but I eat close to 1900 calories every day and don't worry about having to eat back what I exercise.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You have to change your amount of expected weight loss per week the closer you get to your goal. When you are down to your last 10-20 pounds, half a pound a week is a more reasonable goal.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    This, plain and simple, if you don't eat more, you won't lose any more weight. Your body is hanging onto every calorie it can.
    149 lbs, 5"2. 21 years old, BMR is 1512.3 and my TDEE is 2331. I exercise about 5-6 days a week. 30-45 minutes if im doing high intesity exercises such as running and 90 minutes if im swimming. And no i do not eat back my calorie exercises.

Well, there is your problem. Eat 1800-1900 and do not eat back your exercise calories. Or, eat 1500-1600 plus exercise calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    so on the days I'm excercising, i should really be eating 1800 calories? :noway: ha, i havent eaten that much in forever, not even on my so called 'cheat days'! So I'm guessing i should prepare for the scale to go up at first?

If your TDEE includes exercise and its 2200, then you would eat 1800 calories every day. It's just as important to feed your body on workout days as it is on rest days. This way your body can fully recover.
  • melissavaughan5
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone. Everthing seems a lot clearer now, just need to put it into practise. One last thing though, on the days that i don't exercise, how many calories should I be aiming to eat? Would it be whatever my BMR is?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    No. BMR is the amount they would feed you if you were in a coma, just to keep your basic bodily functions working.

You need to eat between BMR and TDEE.

You can do this one of two ways: - eat 1500 PLUS exercise calories OR -eat 1800 total cals every day whether you exercise or not.

It will equal out. But you have to pick one way and do it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok, thanks everyone. Everthing seems a lot clearer now, just need to put it into practise. One last thing though, on the days that i don't exercise, how many calories should I be aiming to eat? Would it be whatever my BMR is?

1800 everyday if you follow the TDEE method.