Too much protein?

Options
Hello fello mfpers

Today I began to take a look at my diary for the last few days, and I noticed i usually go above what mfp advices on protein. I'm not doing it on purpose, I guess its just what comes naturally (to me) when I try to eat clean, balanced and tasty. Anyway, for the last 10 days I've been consistently above what mfp recommends for protein and below the calorie goal. On average i go 14grs above the protein recommendation, but it has been as high as 37, I usually stay very close to the recommended fat intake and below in carbs.

I'm 34yo/male/83kilos (183 pounds),
I exercise lightly (walk jog for 30 mins twice a week, light weights 3 times a week)

Should I be worried about going over the protein recommendation? Should I be making a bigger effort to eat more carbs?

Replies

• macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This question gets asked pretty much everyday here. There really should be a sticky that explains that MFP sets the protien level at the USRDA amount which is a MINIMUM amount of protien. Most people are betters served eating 1 gram per pound of body weight. Some people like myself target more. I target 1.5 grams per pound. There is no disadvantage of eating higher quantities of protien unless you have severe kidney disease. In that case, follow your doctors recommendations.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hello fello mfpers

Today I began to take a look at my diary for the last few days, and I noticed i usually go above what mfp advices on protein. I'm not doing it on purpose, I guess its just what comes naturally (to me) when I try to eat clean, balanced and tasty. Anyway, for the last 10 days I've been consistently above what mfp recommends for protein and below the calorie goal. On average i go 14grs above the protein recommendation, but it has been as high as 37, I usually stay very close to the recommended fat intake and below in carbs.

I'm 34yo/male/83kilos (183 pounds),
    I exercise lightly (walk jog for 30 mins twice a week, light weights 3 times a week)

Should I be worried about going over the protein recommendation? Should I be making a bigger effort to eat more carbs?

I just peeked at your diary. You are probably not getting enough protein. Try going for about 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass, more if you lift weights. I am at a higher calorie goal than you, but I take in a minimum of 72g of protein per day. My goal is 113g of protein per day. (But I usually hit closer to about 90ish grams.)
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply and looking at my diary!

I did some math and checked the cdc recommendations. (Probably the first thing i should have done, I know). It turns out MFP is suggesting my diet to be 55%carbs 30%fat and 15%protein. That falls nicely in what the cdc recommends for protein (between 10% and 35%), though probably a little on the lower end.

Ive heard the 1 gram per pound of body weight / pound of lean mass repeated quite often but since I'm not currently trying to bulk up and i'm just starting to get fit, this seems like way too much for me.

If i go with with the .8gr per pound of body weight that would mean 146grs of protein, about 40% of my calorie intake.

If i go with what the max amout the cdc recommends (35%), that would mean 124 grs, still well below the 146grs from above.

It just seems like if i go so high in protein i would have to cut back on a lot of other healthy stuff I really enjoy, like nuts, avocados, olive oil, and fresh fruits.

Anyway, it seems a good idea to me to cut a little on the fat, and increase a little protein. I'm thinking 20% - 25% protein (70-90grs). What could be the actual benefits of going higher than that, like 35% or over?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would recommend at least 30% for your proteins. There are at least two major benefits of a higher protein diet while working towards weight loss and fitness. One, the more protein you injest, the more lean body mass (LBM) you'll retain. One problem with low calorie diets is that if there is too much of a deficit and the body needs energy, it may go after muscle as much as fat so you'll lose muscle mass. The less muscle mass you have, the more flabby you are the the lower your metabolism is likely to be. Retaining muscle mass obviously gives you the opposite effect - better calorie burn at rest and more toned look.

The second benefit is that protein is known to keep you full/satisfied longer. Anyone cutting calories can tell you that quality beats out quantity at a certain point... Example: I'd rather have a nice big salad with some lean chicken and a little dressing (good blend of carbs, protein and fats) for 600 calories than a couple McD's cheeseburgers, because it'll be more satisfying and stick with me longer. Health fats also keep you full longer so don't believe the hype and go too low with your fats. Just stick with the healthier sources like olive oil, natural peanut butter, etc.
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I found this site and it explains how much protein, carbs and fat one should have.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I use protein as a minimum just like calcium, fiber, etc.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't suggest cutting healthy fats. They are necessary and promote satiety. I can't tell you how many times I see threads titled "Help, I can't stop eating!" and the person is avoiding fat but "filling up" on low calorie, processed foods. The one thing that most people eat in excess are simple carbs. MFP defaults are ridiculously low for fat and protein and ridiculously high for carbs imo. My macros are set at 65 fat, 25 protein, and 10 carb. Sometimes my protein level is 30-40% but no harm will befall me because of extra protein, that's for sure!

I eat nuts, seeds, avocados, lots of veggies, low sugar fruits and I easily stay within my macros. No need to give up your favourite foods in order to maintain healthy amounts of fat and protein!
  • PHATFOBIA
    Options
    CDC recommendations are nonsense except for the truly clueless. That amount of protein isn't enough to sustain anything. Just about all your bodily processes especially 'building' functions require protein so its not just muscle its your skin, hair, nails, your body's ability to heal and repair, your ability to regenerate during sleep and so on.
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    CDC recommendations are nonsense except for the truly clueless...

¿Could you elaborate on that? I mean, the EU Food Safety Agency, the UK National Health Council and practically all gvmnt health agencies in Latin America have similar guidelines. Gvmnt health agencies I actually trust to have policies that are supported by evidence.

Anyway, I skimmed through a World Health organization report*, and in the conclusion they say that "0.83 g/kg per day protein would be expected to meet the requirements of most (97.5%) of the healthy adult population" In my case that would be about 67 grs per protein per day, about 25% of my calories.

I have actually seen that high protein keeps me feeling full much longer than carbs, for example i had 2 cans of tua for breakfast today and I've been feeling full all morning. I also love healthy fats and fruits. I am definitely not thinking on going below 20% fats, and I'm not thinking on filling up on white bread and pasta, but if I want to add some protein I have to give up something, the question is.... carbs, fats or a little of both?.

*http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/nutrientrequirements/en/index.html