If I wanted to look like you.......

Options
PJ64
PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
I have NEVER given advice in the gym. Even when its solicited I usually preface it with "Well, I know this works for me and I'm no expert" I started lifting weights at 16 yrs old, I have been physically fit most my life, not a fitness model by any stretch but it got me thru 20 years of military life. I got hurt, got lazy, got fat and took 5 years to get back, but I have been back for almost a year. I have lost 50lbs and 4 inches from my waist, so I seem to be doing well.

A few of my coworkers were in the gym today. One who has worked out for years, the other a few weeks. The 2 week wonder came up to me and started telling me "You can't do shoulders and chest on the same day, you should work out with us until you know what you're doing" In the past I would ignore these folks or just tell them to F-off but a few years back I came up with a standard reply, that I would like to share with my MFP friends

"If I wanted to look like you, I'd work out like you"

Feel free to use it :happy:

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I like it. Do you use a snarky or nice tone of voice?
  • darla100
    darla100 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! Your awesome!!! :drinker:
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Seriously! Ok....you are AWESOME!!!!!!!!! *sharing on my wall*
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I like it. Do you use a snarky or nice tone of voice?

I find it works best if you smirk, look them up and down and then say it:tongue:
  • SusieGirlRN
    SusieGirlRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    HaHa!!! This is so awesome ~ I am totally swiping this phrase :laugh:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Beautiful advice. My kind of guy. I'd send you a friend request but for that whole New England Patriot thing in your ticker.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    ZINGGGGG!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Oh dear!
  • OBXbound4me
    OBXbound4me Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I usually do push days or pull days. Shoulders and chest are both pushing exercises and can potentially involve each other, especially with chest. Absolutely go with what works for you. I may use that as well.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Nicely stated!
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    nice!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • GerritTheBlacksmith
    Options
    perfect response.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    lol! yeah I have a co-worker who calls himself "Mr. Fitness." It is his email signature. He has a few extra inches around the middle. I have a flat tummy, 26" waist and I have had 2 children. He loves to tell me that I am doing abs wrong. Really?
  • jenn0113
    Options
    I don't typically respond to the forums but I couldn't pass on this one. Adding it to my "Favorite Quotes" every where possible. :) Thanks!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER given advice in the gym. Even when its solicited I usually preface it with "Well, I know this works for me and I'm no expert" I started lifting weights at 16 yrs old, I have been physically fit most my life, not a fitness model by any stretch but it got me thru 20 years of military life. I got hurt, got lazy, got fat and took 5 years to get back, but I have been back for almost a year. I have lost 50lbs and 4 inches from my waist, so I seem to be doing well.

A few of my coworkers were in the gym today. One who has worked out for years, the other a few weeks. The 2 week wonder came up to me and started telling me "You can't do shoulders and chest on the same day, you should work out with us until you know what you're doing" In the past I would ignore these folks or just tell them to F-off but a few years back I came up with a standard reply, that I would like to share with my MFP friends

Feel free to use it :happy:

Fantastic! And go Pats!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESS!!! SO WISH I HAD THAT BACK IN THE COAST GUARD AND THE (sorry) FAT cook came and told me in the gym I didn't know what I was doing while I was doing wrestling sit-ups I learned from my BROTHER a WRESTLER. Let's just say I was 100 lbs less (or maybe more) than HER and SHE HAD NERVE TO TELL ME I WAS DOING IT WRONG. Hmmmph! Love the comment; she would have had a major conniption after all, she was a KNOW IT ALL, thought she was the MOTHER of all on board the ship. Can you tell, I REALLY LIKED HER? :noway:
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    that's awesome :) thinks for the smile
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I love that!
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    **writes down for future use**