Options
2»

Replies

• balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Just keep running that healthy deficit
    (I would recommend a 50/30/20 diet)
    Lifting weights will increase protein synthesis in your body and cardio will further your daily calorie deficit in a way that isn't harmful like extended fasting
    Also, hormones (mainly cortisol) usually are responsible for the fat being stored on your stomach area
    Working the abs isn't a waste but it will not show unless there is a minimal amount of fat there
    So my opinion in a nutshell is to do a healthy diet and monitor sodium intake to prevent water weight being stored (bloating) to make it seem like there is more fat then there actually is
    Keep it up!

Thanks,..very helpful advice there. :)
    Interesting facts about the cortisol hormone, had never even heard of that, makes some sense considering I figured I put a lot of this abdominal weight on during my finals which was quite a stressful year.
    Gosh there is so many factors that I never would have considered.

Going to take this advice on board.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen! Calorie count and eat as "clean" as possible. Combine this with a mixture of both high intensity cardio exercises and weight training and you should start seeing some great results!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Overall weight loss is all that will shrink it. Like you said, you can't spot reduce areas.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. I am hoping once I lose my weight that I will have a flat stomach. And cortisol, how do you reduce that other then staying away from stress?
  • balancedbrunette
    Options
    Yea I was wondering the same^, that is a tricky one I guess exercise does help though, its true for people that say getting out for a run, walk or swim is the best thing not just for your body but for your mind :).
    Abs are made in the kitchen! Calorie count and eat as "clean" as possible. Combine this with a mixture of both high intensity cardio exercises and weight training and you should start seeing some great results!
    Thanks..makes sense just about being strict on myself. Judging by your profile pic you know what you're talking about.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I'm about the same age as you and exactly the same height. I'm down to 110 now but I can tell you that the belly fat is the last to go, especially if you're already in a healthy weight range and still have it. 3 months in and I didn't see any difference in the amount of belly fat I had but I sure lost weight, and then it started coming off like butter all of a sudden. It is definitely the last to go. Just keep at it and exercise!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. I have started tracking my measurements recently and my waist measurement goes down, but hardly at all compared to my hips. Part of my problem is my last pregnancy I had a very large baby, he was 11lbs 4oz, and I am sure it beat the hell out of my stomach muscles. I have been trying to focus on core strength, the assumption being if my stomach muscle is crap, then it won't hold anything in.
  • KeyaAW
    KeyaAW Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing once a week, It has done wonders to my body. You should try it. I see my "love handles" leaving slowly. It a process, be patient, after all you didn't gain all that weight over night.
  • balancedbrunette
    Options
    ^True and strangily enough one of my friends mentioned to me last week there is a kickboxing society in the college, was tempted to join...might be worth taking up or even doing a bit myself at home :)
    Hey there. I'm about the same age as you and exactly the same height. I'm down to 110 now but I can tell you that the belly fat is the last to go, especially if you're already in a healthy weight range and still have it. 3 months in and I didn't see any difference in the amount of belly fat I had but I sure lost weight, and then it started coming off like butter all of a sudden. It is definitely the last to go. Just keep at it and exercise!

Thank you motivating post, your down to 110 thats brillant, well done you! :)..definitely have to keep at it.

Is it true drinking lots of water helps....like overall with the weight loss process, sometimes feel like i'm carrying around a lot of water weight.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I great way to blast through those last few pounds is strength training/ lifting weights!! Stay in a sensible calorie goal, make sure you get enough protein and lift weights...your body will change!
  • balancedbrunette
    Options
    I great way to blast through those last few pounds is strength training/ lifting weights!! Stay in a sensible calorie goal, make sure you get enough protein and lift weights...your body will change!

looks like strength training is the way to go!
    thanks for advice. :)
  • lewshetland
    lewshetland Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been using a band to exercise my stomach area as my muffin top is the bit of my body I dislike the most. I am finding my trousers getting slacker but no change in weight.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Sugary biscuits and desserts will make you look and feel bloated in your stomach area, even if you haven't really gained body mass. Focus on getting adequate water, limiting sweet/salty snacks, and a diet that is mostly vegetables/meat. If I do this after a holiday with lots of cake and pie, I look and feel a lot better within a couple of days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

looks like strength training is the way to go!
    thanks for advice. :)

Almost, minimize your calorie deficit (20% below TDEE) and increase protein. Also, if you do cardio, try to do HIIT. For overall fat loss it's... weight training > HIIT > cardio. But diet is key too.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    So here's my advice- lift heavy. Get a tape measure and start taking measurements, and forget the scale, because you'll likely gain weight lifting heavy- but it will be lean muscle! Eat at a moderate deficit or at maintenance and throw some fat burning cardio in there. And no, you won't get bulky.

THIS^^
    My tummy has always been the worst, and after 2 kids, it sucked even more (you can see my befores in my profile pics -- everyone always asked me "When are you having a BABY?!?" even when I wasn't. UGH.)

It wasn't until I started adding in circuit training w/weights (heavier weights) that I saw a change. Strict cardio did not do it for me -- and trust me, I'd been running for years.

Cleaner diet is a big part as well, but definitely WEIGHTS and all over body work (circuits, core, plyo, planks, etc.)
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I will admit I haven't been as strict on myself as late
    Abs are made in the kitchen sweetheart. There's no magic or secret behind it. Find out your BMR, TDEE, stick to your macros and it will happen.
  • 724a
    724a Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cardio. Lifting and crunches won't do it.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Do a mix of strength training (heavy enough, so that you can barely get throuhg 3 sets of 5-8 reps) and HIIT circuit training. Eat a slight calorie deficit. Make sure you get enough proteins. I, personally, do believe that you need to eat super clean, as long as you have balanced meals and are getting your nutrition in.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Cardio. Lifting and crunches won't do it.

Where do you get this information from? It's already proven that weight training is better at fat loss. Cardio is better for weight loss but makes you lose muscle in the process.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump