Phentermine

Options
Has anyone out there ever used the drug Phentermine? If so....what happened and did u succeed in losing weight? I have a cousin who was 215 pounds and she lost quite a bit of weight on it. She is now 145. And she has maintained it for 2 years now. I was just wondering what everyone elses opinion is on it.

Replies

• SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!
    Diet drugs do not work, if it helped in any way it was as a positive placebo effect, there is no way diet tablets can help you lose weight if you continue to stuff your face and sit on ya butt all day! It may have helped with motivation but please dont think it was a magic bullet cos it wasnt!

Do your body a favour and stick to the healthy plan and nourish it with whats best for your body...google it and see the truth. There is so much evidence against these harmful chemicals and the long term damaging effects.

You can do it, dont waste your money, I have researched these things for years as well as trying them myself so please dont be conned and dont waste your money and fill your body with stuff it doesnt need! I feel very strongly about these things so sorry if i came across as aggresive there but I beg you, dont do it!
    Stay positive and let us help!

Phentermine is an appetitie suppressant so wont help if you are an emotional eater.
    x
  • carlamartin82
    Options
    I've used it. It worked but i was also taking B-12 shots as well. The only bad side is the 30mg worked well in the morning but i was starving by the afternoon. I switched to 60mg and took one half in the morning and the other in the afternoon which worked well. I am currently going through a divorce and my advice would be to not take these if you are under a lot of stress they will cause you to not eat at all. LITTERALLY!!!! i was going 3-4 days with out realizing i haven't ate anything. Other than that they really do help especially if you have a problem with overeating i tend to eat alot just because i'm board or because it's quiet or because it's saturday it didn't matter i just had to be eating something... If you have high blood pressure please be sure that, that is under control first or the pills will make it worse. I hope this helped. :)
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    They work, but once u stop the pills the weight comes back on
    Is your cousin still taking the drug...I don't think it is a long term solution.....

Kim
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    before thinking about it look up Dr. Oz show on diet pills it's scary what they do to you. One lady took them and they effected the chemicals in her brain and problems and now multi personalities because ot it.
  • annieray1999
    Options
    No...she isn't taking it anymore. She looks good though. She was under a dr. care when she was on it.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    I have taken them before and I am currently back on them. They give me enough energy to get through each day, working 2 jobs, going to school, and working out. I also get B12 shots. When I went off of them before I did gain weight and didn't have the energy I do when I'm on them. But I see fit people coming in the Dr and they get the lowest dose available to help maintain weight, not lose. So I'm guessing that it can be something you are on for life.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    All I can say is the FDA specifically says they only approve the use of Phen for "a few weeks".
  • maplesmama
    Options
    I took them for a few months and lost a lot of weight. HOWEVER- I developed a severe case of anemia and had bruising all over my body. I did lose weight...but only because I wasn't eating. But now I am heavier than when I started taking phen because once you start eating again...you gain the weight back. Worst thing I ever did to myself. DON"T DO IT!!!!!!
  • khart1993
    Options
    From Wikipedia: In 1959 phentermine first received approval from the FDA as an appetite suppressing drug. Phentermine hydrochloride then became available in the early 1970s. Since the drug was approved in 1959 there have been almost no clinical studies performed. The most recent study was in 1990 which combined phentermine with fenfluramine or dexfenfluramine and became known as Fen-Phen.[citation needed]

In 1997 after 24 cases of heart valve disease in Fen-Phen users, fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine were voluntarily taken off the market at the request of the FDA. Studies later proved that nearly 30% of people taking fenfluramine or dexfenfluramine had abnormal valve findings. The FDA did not ask manufacturers to remove phentermine from the market.

Short term only on phentermine, and make sure it's not combined.
  • futfurd
    futfurd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Lets look at this differently. Assuming you do take the drug, you know the weight you lose will only stay off if you change your lifestyle and eating habits. I promise if you do those things you will lose the weight anyway. So why not just start it now. The doctor I see says she has prescribed phentermine to about 60 people. My wife was one of them. I am one of 2 people she calls weight lose success stories and I never took the drug. That doesn't give the drug a great success rating around these parts. My wife took it hoping she would drop weight sitting on the couch. It didn't work. I don't think It will work for anyone who doesn't get their diet in check and work out. And common sense says If it does work the weight will come back as soon as you stop taking the drug. So just make the change and feel the elation that comes from knowing you did it all by yourself!
  • annieray1999
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I was seriously considering it. I have thought about it for a long time now. But I have already lost 6 pounds without it....so I know the next 17 can come off too. And I am learning how to eat right in the process. I know I have to move more and eat right. I Thank You all again. :smile:
  • sami201
    Options
    I just started taking phentermine on the 19th....only 2 days ago...and have dropped 6 pounds already! I know most of it is water..but 6 pounds is 6 pounds..lol! No...it is not a magic pill....you have to eat healthy and exercise to lose weight. It is ment to help you deal with your hunger and give you energy while your body ajusts to your new eating/exercise habits. Of course you will gain the weight back if you go back to your old habits, but this happens with any diet if you go back to not exercising and eating crap. I think it funny how people (myself included) go on a diet.. ..lose weight.....then go back to bad eating/exercise habits... gain it back ....and blame the diet. There is no quick fix to lose weight.
    Sorry to ramble on...lol....just my 2 cents on the topic =)
  • lizyoung19
    Options
    I am currently on Phentermine, I started Jan 28th, along with changed eating habits and daily excercise, I have lost 23lbs so far and am very Happy with the results.