Where do you put your keys and phone?

Options

Replies

• Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I hang my keys on the key holders at the gym, but my cell phone goes in my bra over my right breast...always. at work, at the gym at the park everywhere but at home and sometimes there too.

This ^^ except I wear my phone on the left side LOL
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    LOVE a SpiBelt when the weather doesn't call for a jacket. It's super stretchy and doesn't bounce much at all. And conveniently holds my phone and keys. But for the other 6 months of the year when I run in jackets/coats, I simply use the pockets.
  • bigandysrunning
    bigandysrunning Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have recently run into the same situations. I run outside a lot and do not hae the luxury of a locker, and I want my phone on me for a number of reasons. It's there for me in case I ever run into an emergency where I would need it, and I will also runs some apps in the background while I'm running (like nike plus, may my run, and more recently, Charity Miles). That being said, I hate armbands and don not ant to hold it in my hand while I run, so I looked at my local ****'s Sporting goods and found this "fanny pack". see link below. It's a fanny pack by definition, but it's not the same thing that people were rocking back in the 80's. I wear it under my shirt, and you literally can not tell it's there when my shirt is over it. As a matter of fact, take a look at the pictures on my blog: (http://bigandysrunning.wordpress.com/pictures-progress/) in every picture from June 9th going forward, I am wearing it. You can't see it at all. It's a stretchy, (and pretty much waterproof) neoprene foam belt/ pack thing that sits flat and tight against your body and is designed not to bounce, so there literally have been times where I forget I have it on. (which I assume is entirely the point) it's got a main zippered pocket that I put my phone in, and then there is still room leftover for a key and ID card plus an outside mesh pocket- what I use that for is to put an energy gel if I am on a really long run and I have more than can fit in my water bottle pocket. ....
    Which leads me to the other thing I carry that has "storage". I also picked up a running water bottle that has a hand strap and a zipper pocket of it's own. I can fit 2 gels in the water bottle pocket, or my license and car key. If I have the gels in there, I throw my license and key in with my phone in the fanny pack. Both are sporty looking, designed for runners to be useful and not get in the way, and have become a part of my regular running gear. I strongly recommend one or both.

Hope this helps.

Fanny Pack
    http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11620553&cp=4406646.4425420.13067356

Water Bottle
    http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13014742&ppp=19&cp=4406646.4425420.13067356
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a fanny pack!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have an Armpocket (http://www.armpocket.com/products/SPORT-20-LW.html)

I love that it fits my phone well, is water resistant, and has a little holder with enough room for my keys, an ID, and a GU gel if needed.

This, I love my armpocket, most comfortable one I have found and they have larger ones to fit today's smartphones with big screens. :)
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    when I started running, "way back when" I didn't have a cell phone - nobody did (I really am not that old, but apparently nobody remembers 1993?). We didn't all disappear into the stomachs of bears or trunks of psychopaths. We just planned a route, told loved ones where it was and when we'd be done, and ran. I still do this, as I find cell phones are merely an expensive and distracting substitute for decent planning and self reliance, not a game I'm willing to pay to play - so horror of horrors, I don't even own a cell phone.

I used to carry my health insurance card with me, but stopped after forgetting it in a pair of running shorts and actually needing it. Now I just leave it with my wallet at home or in the car. I do carry the car key in a tiny zip pocket in my shorts/running tights when I drive to a run, but I've been known to also stash it somewhere nearby instead too. All the tips and tricks people mention, save leaving it completely open, won't work for my car. Putting things in the bra, a sock, or a waist band is a recipe for chafing if you put in enough miles - which you'll find out at the end of your run if it's enough (my personal cutoff is 8 miles).

Basically, I carry as little as possible, and worry about it as little as possible. I'm lucky enough not to have any allergies to medications or other serious medical conditions that I can do that. RoadID sells some tags you can thread onto your shoe laces or wear as a necklace or bracelet.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds like a silly question, but I seriously need to know - I am a treadmill walker who is considering a 5k or perhaps even a half marathon at some point. So, for you outdoor runners/walkers, where do you put stuff that you cannot leave behind, like the keys to your car, or for safety reasons, your cell phone? Do people still wear fannie packs? Just looking for ideas. Thanks!

when i run outside remove my car key the key chain and tie it to my sneaker (i usually unlace the top part including the first hole, slip the key on the lace and retie) and phone is put in my sports bra. i have a flip phone (not a fancy phone) so it's small enough to fit there. :)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Third or fourth the recommendation for a spibelt. I fit my humongous iphone in it which I used to use to track runs, but now just use as an mp3 player. I almost exclusively use nike shorts now for running, and they all have a nice zip pocket in the back (perfect for keys, but too small for a smartphone). On longer runs I take a belt that holds a water bottle, but normally the spibelt and back pocket are perfect. Before I got it I tried an armband and didn't like it. So maybe you can find a local running store, put what you want in one, and sort of jog around the place to see how you'll like it. I never could get used to the armband, always felt like it was slipping down to me.
  • jritari
    Options
    Get a bike jersey. They have awesome pockets in the back, and are great for exercising in.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound so classy but I shove my phone down my pants or shorts so its sitting on my hip. I wear my ipod on an arm strap and I usually leave the keys somewhere like at work or I carry them in my hand if walking or running. Must find a fitness belt like another member mentioned in this thread.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Used to use my bra, but that was a little impractical. I just got one of thse at www.spibelt.com. Basically a fanny pack but smaller and no bounce. I was it was just a tiny bit bigger so I could fit my inhaler, but overall I'm happy with it. I got the reflective one and it reflects great- I would recommend if you walk at night.

They also make these little velcro pockets you can attach to your shoe, btu they are only big enough for a key and a few dollars. I've seen them at running stores.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Cell phone is kept in my arm band as it is also my MP3 player. Keys are attached to the pepper spray canister that I hold in my hand, with thumb close to trigger. Unleashed dogs are not going to wait for you to take it out of your fanny pack.
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate the links and manufacturer recommendations. With how much I sweat, I know slipping my phone in my bra or shorts would not work for very long.

Simple searches on google do not produce useful results. Glad I saw the link ...
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have my keys on a carabiner that I clip to the drawstring of the pants. And my phone, in a protective cover ...>.> goes in my bra.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    At the gym, I leave it all in the locker unless the kids are at home, then I bring my phone on the floor with me (on vibrate).

At an event, I have two running shirts with pockets in the back. My phone fits perfectly in one pocket. I take just the remote car starter off and put that in the other pocket. If it's a mud event, phone stays in the car and the key goes to bag drop (I've been told water can destroy it).
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My neighbor is kind enough to let me put them in his mailbox
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I get a carabiner and physically attach my keys to my person with it. If your phone is an iPhone you can get a nice sport arm band that holds it to you, or buy a zip pouch to attach to the carabiner and its on my body.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I look for pants with a pocket so I can have my phone in my pocket. And I just bought a running dress from SkirtSports which has what they call "cleavage alley" - a pocket just the right size for my phone or a key :smile:

If I need to carry anything else (key etc) I use an SPI belt which is handy for light stuff, I don't like to put my iPhone in it, as it drags it down.

For long training runs (1:30 or more) I have a Nathan belt with a water bottle and an extra pocket for keys, gel, tissues etc.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    For running, my phones goes in the car. My key goes in a 'holder' thingy that attaches to my shoes. At the gym, my phone is usually with me and my keys are in the cubbie!
  • bluepacific71
    Options
    iPhone is a must and goes in the small zip pocket on the back of my running pants. For all other necessities (chapstick, carb gel, etc) I got two shoe pockets at REI for about $5 each. Best thing ever! Attaches through the laces with velcro, small and stretchy, and I dont like to wear or carry a bunch of stuff so it's like theyre not even there until I need something. They also have wrist wallets, similar concept. Good luck!