too much protein?

Options
Is it really a big deal if I go over my protein limit? I'm doing a lot of exercise and I need it - also I find it's the thing that fills me up most.

Replies

• geoffers12
    geoffers12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to build muscle or slim down? It also depends on the type of protein you are obtaining. Are you protein loading in the form of protein shakes or are you building up protein through your meals.

Give me a hint on what your tyring to do and I can provide some guidance....

-G
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I also am always over my protein levels. Mine is from food no protein drinks. I am trying to slim down. Just starting weights tomorrow.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm trying to slim down (running walking) but am also toning up. (lifting on my circuits home gym) I try to eat the protein in my allowance because I was told that's what you need to build the muscle.
  • hajir7
    hajir7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I always go negative in protein in my diary while I have a lot of carb remaining, waiting for adviceses :)
  • geoffers12
    geoffers12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Since it seems like everone is in the same boat...here is my advice

I would not concern yourself with the protein intake; especially if you are lifting / running. Protein is going to help feed your muscles to shorten recovery time. Ultimately the idea is that muscles burn calories, and you need to feed the muscles, best thing to feed them is protein.

Generally if you are trying to slim down you need to be hitting under the carb requirements placed here. A full rounded diet is encouraged on MFP which allows you to slowly drop weight if that is your intention but the lesser the carbs the more you are in the "good". Also there is a lot of different types of carbs. Good carbs and bad carbs. Think of bad carbs as processed carbs; white bread, white pasta, stuff of that nature. You would really like to be pushing whole weat bread / pasta if these are staples in your daily diet.

Thoughts?

-G
  • hajir7
    hajir7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    geoffers12, thank you for the advice, I get use to eat more meat or bean, less carb and if there is carb it will be wheat or grian.
    Thanks again
    Hajir
  • blondeninja
    Options
    Hi thanks for the response. I'm trying to slim down.. but when I'm on my exercise I do a LOT of it, consisting of boxing, press ups, sit ups, running. So i'm thinking it's not too much of a problem if I overdo the protein, plus the sort of food I'm eating and intend to stick with, consists of lots of chicken, eggs, salad, leafy veg and some fruit.
  • blondeninja
    Options
    Hajir 'I have the same problem, I always go negative in protein in my diary while I have a lot of carb remaining, waiting for adviceses :)'

well that's absolutely fine by me as I see you have lost a whopping 26lbs!!! It obviously not hurting to be overdoing the protein... Well done :)
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    MFP is a mission to not have people eat enough protein. It is a conspiracy.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    MFP is a mission to not have people eat enough protein. It is a conspiracy.

True story.

I was shocked to discover they set your macros at more than 50% carbs. You can adjust your macros as you desire. Personally, I eat 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fats, for quick fat loss. There is pretty much no way that you can eat too much protein.

If you are trying to build muscle, up your protein AND carbs, and if you are trying to lose fat, increase your protein. Before I set my own macros, I was doubling the recommended protein intake and I was always in the red, but don't worry about it. Fat and carbs are the ones to watch; it's easy to go over on those.
  • blondeninja
    Options
    this is very helpful. Thanks very much, I will definitely reset my protein levels etc, as I know that carbs are the worst thing for me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What are your macros and how have your calculated your protein? The MFP setting are too low if you are very active or lift.