Weight Watchers

Options
To anyone who is currently on weight watchers or was recently on weight watchers: I havent been on weight watchers in years, I know it used to go by a point system. And it would tell you how many of those points should go to dairy, how many to carbs, protein, etc. Does it still work that way? Do you think it's working? I'm thinking of joining weight watchers along with doing MFP, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or if I should just use MFP?

Either way I'm thinking I should see a nutritionist because I don't agree with the carb/proten/fat percentages MFP gives me, yet I don't know enough for myself to determine them.

Any feedback about weight watchers or just MFP would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• Lady_C_the_1st
    Options
    Hi, this is not about WW but about a way to determine your carb/fat/protein ratio.

http://caloriecount.about.com/metabolic-types-eating-ft93247-1

Go to this link and take the test, it will give you an idea of how your body processes food and a suggestion for your carb/fat/protein ratio. I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • monica1515
    Options
    To anyone who is currently on weight watchers or was recently on weight watchers: I havent been on weight watchers in years, I know it used to go by a point system. And it would tell you how many of those points should go to dairy, how many to carbs, protein, etc. Does it still work that way? Do you think it's working? I'm thinking of joining weight watchers along with doing MFP, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or if I should just use MFP?

Either way I'm thinking I should see a nutritionist because I don't agree with the carb/proten/fat percentages MFP gives me, yet I don't know enough for myself to determine them.

I was doing weight watchers with my mom to help her stay motivated, etc. I think its great for some people, but not for me. I went through one day and calcuated exactly how many calories I was eatting worth of points, etc and it was not nearly enough for my lifestyle, etc (explains why I was so hungry). You can't do both MFP and WW b/c they go on different things.

I've only been on this site for two weeks and have lost 5 lbs, which is great! I'm not looking to drop a lot of weight, more to maintain but I think you should give MFP a try if your not happy with WW. You have nothing to lose! (and its cheaper, lol)
  • corin1533
    Options
    If you don't agree with the ratio of Carbs/Protein/Fat, that CAN be changed! Go to Goals, Custom and then you can make the changes there. I have been recommended 40/40/20 based on my activity level, but remember everyone is different!
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i agree with monica about the points equalling low calories, i recently joined at i was put at 18points a day which works out around 1000cals, and from wearing my HRM a couple of days i found i burn around 2000cals a day so this level was way too low for me
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    WW has 2 different programs - points are the ones I was using, and it used to come to between 40-55 cals for 1 pt (from what I could estimate at the time. the other way does not count points- you still get your weekly 35 free points, but you also eat differently on it - more like you would on the South Beath diet I think - where you're not getting some of the bread/carbs - you go by serving size and how hungry you are.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    Hi, this is not about WW but about a way to determine your carb/fat/protein ratio.

http://caloriecount.about.com/metabolic-types-eating-ft93247-1

Go to this link and take the test, it will give you an idea of how your body processes food and a suggestion for your carb/fat/protein ratio. I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:

Thanks so much! That link will definitely help me decide what types of foods I should be eatting. I'm going to take the test in a little bit to see if I've been doing the wrong ratio's all along! Thanks so much :)
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't want to eat too few calories so I'm still unsure about weight watchers. I am on a diet pill prescribed by a weight loss doctor. And he reccommends 1000-1100 calories a day with the pills because they help with appetite, yet as I increase my workouts I don't want to eat too few calories either. I think once I figure out my carb/protein/fat ratios I will be able to decide better what I need to do!
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Core - that's the other plan WW offers - the flex plan is with points, and core plan is not counting points, but eating from a list of approved foods. I couldn't remember what it was called, and it was starting to get to me!
  • Ellie113
    Options

• Ellie113
    Options
    I am on the weight watchers discover plan and this uses the points system but takes in to account how active a life style you have and your weight to determine your points allowance. It is working well for me ( 19.9lb in 5 weeks) ,I find that writing your food diary is a great help.
  • penny222
    Options
    I have been on ww for 5 1/2 months and have only lost 18.2 lbs of the 29.6 to get into my "healthy weight range." I think ww was having me eat too much because they had me at 20 points a day, plus the 35 available weekly points. I started mfp 5 days ago and the points conversion is closer to 17-18. I am also vegetarian and the staff seemed unable to offer me any suggestions as to why my weight loss is so slow, other than "maybe you should start eating meat again;" I get my 45gs of protein a day, I don't need meat to do it. My membership is good through March 1 at this point so I'm planning to continue weighing in with them, at another location, and see if wfp gives me better results. We'll see!
  • bethany_85
    Options
    I disagree with the person who said you can't do MFP and WW at the same time. I've been doing them together just fine. I actually put myself at 2lbs loss a week for MFP and at 1200 calories I don't think that was enough for me. WW has me more around 1500 which is more accurate with the BMR formula people have been posting. Additionally, even though WW would have people at 18-20pts/day that doesn't necessarily account to only 1000 calories. WW expects you to eat at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day, many of which are 0-1 points. When you are down in that lower range, that is also when they expect you to consume more of your "flex" points (those extra 35 points to do anything with) So, if you average 5 of those per day throughout the week and are at 20 points you could really be eating 25 points a day. That is about 1250 calories NOT counting the free veggies, so no, WW does not put you under 1200 calories a day.

I think the two programs work well hand in hand. MFP helps keep track of protein/carb/sodium not to mention providing fantastic support. And WW is great at reminding me to get my 5 fruits/veggies and 3 calcium servings in a day. It also is a good place to be able to be a little more flexible with the diet (within the 35 flex points) without feeling like a negative calorie intake for the day is bright red and staring you in the face.

Last thing, someone had mentioned the flex (counting points) and core (not counting points) programs. If you sign up now, they recently introduced momentum, which is a combination of the two programs. You count all your points but are shown how to utilize filling foods (what were considered core foods) to help you stay fuller longer. It may sound confusing but really it's very easy. I also think WW does a better job than MFP on showing people how to make life-long changes to their diet becuase it is based on more than strictly caloric intake.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    Thanks! I know a few people on Weight watchers who tell me it's so much easier because you learn to eat out at restaraunts and everything, but then again they are also some of my friends who don't make good choices and probably use all their points on bad foods. I love MFP for the support and knowing how much sodium/fat/proten/sugars/carbs I'm eatting a day, but I've been feeling unsure about how much of that I should really be having. I always feel like I'm eatting too many carbs or choosing the wrong foods. Another thing I've been driving myself crazy with on MFP is the SUGAR intake, I've gone over it every single day, mostly from eatting my fruits and the milk or yogurt I have everyday.

I'm looking for something flexible and easy, yet I still plan on using MFP everyday too. It's great for support.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    I disagree with the person who said you can't do MFP and WW at the same time. I've been doing them together just fine. I actually put myself at 2lbs loss a week for MFP and at 1200 calories I don't think that was enough for me. WW has me more around 1500 which is more accurate with the BMR formula people have been posting. Additionally, even though WW would have people at 18-20pts/day that doesn't necessarily account to only 1000 calories. WW expects you to eat at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day, many of which are 0-1 points. When you are down in that lower range, that is also when they expect you to consume more of your "flex" points (those extra 35 points to do anything with) So, if you average 5 of those per day throughout the week and are at 20 points you could really be eating 25 points a day. That is about 1250 calories NOT counting the free veggies, so no, WW does not put you under 1200 calories a day.

I think the two programs work well hand in hand. MFP helps keep track of protein/carb/sodium not to mention providing fantastic support. And WW is great at reminding me to get my 5 fruits/veggies and 3 calcium servings in a day. It also is a good place to be able to be a little more flexible with the diet (within the 35 flex points) without feeling like a negative calorie intake for the day is bright red and staring you in the face.

Last thing, someone had mentioned the flex (counting points) and core (not counting points) programs. If you sign up now, they recently introduced momentum, which is a combination of the two programs. You count all your points but are shown how to utilize filling foods (what were considered core foods) to help you stay fuller longer. It may sound confusing but really it's very easy. I also think WW does a better job than MFP on showing people how to make life-long changes to their diet becuase it is based on more than strictly caloric intake.

May I ask what program you are on? And how your weekly weight loss has been through using weight watchers?
  • bethany_85
    Options
    I was doing flex on my own since January 1st because I'm very familiar with it and have al the materials. (I lost 25lbs about 4 years ago doing that and was able to keep it off until 14 months ago when my husband came back from a military deployment--but that's another story-haha!) Anway, I was doing flex and lost 17 lbs in January. Then I stopped losing all together but my husband left again and I got sloppy. I realized I was eating about 800 calories a day and while I'm suppose to have 26 points/day I was eating 16 at the most. So I stopped losing. I joined MFP and recorded on that for about 3 weeks and still no loss (actually gained!) but like I said previously, I think the 1200 calories were not enough. So, week one back on WW officially eating my 26 points + my flex of 35. I'll let you know how it goes next week and see if I see any loss. :laugh:
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I've been doing WW off and on since 2000. I LOVE WW, my only complaint is I get bored with it at times. I still go to the meetings but I track my food on here, I just find it easier right now (with a 2 year old) to be able to look at a label and know how many calories I have rather then pulling out my slider, etc. I like the one on one weigh in and I LOVE my group I've been going to for a year. I lost 36 lbs in 11 months on WW, before switching to here. I also took a couple months off within those 11 months with just making good food choices, exercising and not counting points. I love WW because if you follow it as directed it really teaches you how many points you should put towards dairy, fruits, veggies, etc and you are actually learning while in the meetings. I think both MFP and WW both provide you with the tools to lose the weight, the main ingredient (hehe) that you need is the willingness to make a lifestyle change. I lost 50 lbs in 2000 before I got married just to gain it all back and then some because I wasn't ready to make a lifestyle change.
    I also feel the need to mention that pills are not the way to go. They may have a "Dr" who is monitoring you, but it doesn't mean they are good for you. I have a friend who has had a lifetime of issues because of taking pills to loss weight in her 20's. Dissipate taking these pills she's back here, on MFP trying to lose weight because they didn't teach her anything but how to be hooked up to something to make sure her heart is beating correctly. Take it slow, learn as you go and you will be healthy and thin! That's just my 2 cents for you :flowerforyou:
  • marjaskow
    Options
    After being on WW for 2 years I just quit & started on this site last week. WW is a points system. Every food has a point value depending on its calories, fat & fiber content. They give a list and a calculator thing to figure the points. They recommend 2 milks, 2 healthy oils and 5 fruit & veggies a day. I hit a plateau, know the program ,so decded to take a break and heard of this site. It's basically the same only counting calories instead of points. I still try to keep within the WW guidlines but track on here instead. A lot cheaper dn still get support & motivation from other members.
    I lost 25 on my own before WW then another 45 on the program. Being frustrated I went to a nutritionist in January. She looked at what I was eating and said I was doing everything right. She suggested spreading carbs out evenly through the day to keep metablolism working and not eating too many at one time that wouldn't get used up. Made sense, but didn't change my results. She also suggested the same number of calories that ths site suggested I eat in a day, which if I figure what I ate on WW was still the same. I'm starting to think that my age is slowing down my losses (50), but am not giving up. I lost almost 2 pounds my first week here & hope it keeps going in the right direction again.
    I think WW teaches making healthy choices and eating well balanced meals. It's guidelines help make this program work. Counting calories isn't really enough if your not getting the calories from the right foods.
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I joined WW tonight. I really enjoyed my first meeting. The leader discussed a lot of foods and choices that were low calorie that I thought was helpful. Plus, the motivation seemed good. I am going to try doing MFP and WW for a bit and see how it goes. It sure beats doing nothing . Good luck to everyone.
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I did WW years ago, lost 80 pounds, but slowly have gained 40 back. Me, personally, I would say "save your money". I think this site is great -- you get good support, the site has all the caloric information you need to track foods. I have yet to not find a food in the database.

Get some friends and be accountable. You can do this.

:flowerforyou:
    ~Tammy