Biggest food sacrifices?

Options

Replies

• dollflour
    Options
    I just started logging here today. My favorite thing is wine! I can cut back, maderate, alternate with a healthier alternative but there is no replacement for wine. I believe that my weight gain is related to the amount of wine that I drink, so I know that I have to cut back on it. No, not a problem, I just really love wine!
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Cheese, other dairy items.

However, it was easier to give up because as I've gotten older I've become lactose intolerant. So really, I can eat a little bit of cheese and only feel mildly uncomfortable, or I can eat none.

So no macaroni and cheese, no lasagna, no cheesecake, no pizza, no cream cheese (WAHHH), no whipped cream on anything, etc.

If I can make a healthy version of these things with soya loaf then I totally do. Because yum. Like I might spend 30 minutes making vegan mac and cheese, but getting to eat it is seriously worth it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    like i said i didnt give up anything i just found healthier options... if i have rice now it is brown rice, if i have pasta it is whole grain pasta, if i have a baked potato i eat it plain now loaded down with butter and sour cream.

stop letting your mind dictate your life telling you what you have to have and cant live without

No need to be so holier-than-thou, especially since you admit to giving things up yourself (white rice, pasta that's not whole grain and butter and sour cream on your baked potatoes).

They OP asked about things we have given up, so clearly these are things we can live without.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I just started logging here today. My favorite thing is wine! I can cut back, maderate, alternate with a healthier alternative but there is no replacement for wine. I believe that my weight gain is related to the amount of wine that I drink, so I know that I have to cut back on it. No, not a problem, I just really love wine!

if you dont want to give up your wine have a glass a night and make sure the calories in that glass are factored in with your daily allotment and you will be fine.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    like i said i didnt give up anything i just found healthier options... if i have rice now it is brown rice, if i have pasta it is whole grain pasta, if i have a baked potato i eat it plain now loaded down with butter and sour cream.

stop letting your mind dictate your life telling you what you have to have and cant live without

No need to be so holier-than-thou, especially since you admit to giving things up yourself (white rice, pasta that's not whole grain and butter and sour cream on your baked potatoes).

They OP asked about things we have given up, so clearly these are things we can live without.

i'm more like the devil... i eat what i want and still have good results. lol

i'm just trying to point out that living a healthier lifestyle does not have to be filled with a bunch of bland and boring foods that you dont enjoy.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    wine and cheese
    wine and cheese
    wine and cheese
    Oh i love my wine and cheese.................sigh................
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    i'm just trying to point out that living a healthier lifestyle does not have to be filled with a bunch of bland and boring foods that you dont enjoy.

No one implied that it does.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have to totally control my carbs, pasta in particular. Could eat it every day. I keep minimal amount in the house, and try to substitute shiratake noodles 90% of the time when cooking for just myself. I rarely keep bread either, I just know I can't have just one piece. So now if I want a bagel, it's one, and its a treat!

going out to eat is another thing I try to avoid as much as possible, reason is I don't make good choices, so the more I stay in and cook for myself, the better I do

I rarely have soda/pop in the house. If I do, it's probably selzter which is no cal anyway!
  • monicalord
    monicalord Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cheese and bread.

French fries.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I no longer drink soda and caffeine. Only caffeine free beverages for me. I pretty much eat what I choose but log it and know more about food & nutrition so I'm able to make better food choices. I limit the amount of chips, crackers, very processed foods I'll eat. And I never have enjoyed fast food type restaurants in the past so I still don't eat fast food now either.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything. I refuse! LOL. No, seriously. I do refuse to give up a food because for me that's a sure sign of failure. Too many times I restricted myself, saying I couldn't have this or that and as soon as I did eat it I would fall off the diet wagon (yes, back then I referred to it as a diet).

When I decided to lose weight this time around I swore to myself that I wasn't going to deprive myself from any food I really like. I eat it in moderation. And sometimes I don't eat it in moderation, but then I adjust my calories for the rest of the day or the rest of the week. I've learned that if I gorge, I pay the price so I've taught myself not to gorge or to walk away.

I know this doesn't work for everyone and I'm not condoning it or saying this is the only way, but this is what has worked for me.
  • joeamendiola
    Options
    I haven't sacrificed any kind of food. I kind of sacraficed dinner. I often run out of calories after lunch unless I get a good work out.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I stopped baking since only half of what I baked actually made it out of my house (and the other half on my hips and thighs)

Pasta/Rice. I had a really small amount of thin spaghetti the other night when my bf made it for himself and now I remember why I don't eat it. Tons of cals/carbs and I have to eat at least 3 servings of it to feel satisfied at all. No thanks!

Pizza - 1 slice max

Desserts (1 piece of cake, a brownie, a cookie, etc.) VERY rarely, maybe once a month

Candy/chocolate - sugar free choc pudding does the trick, although I'm dreading halloween

Casserole-style dinners. This probably makes my boyfriend sad.

Everything else is practiced in moderation and I stuff myself with veggies, fruit, and lean protein.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I haven't had cottage cheese in 7 months. Haven't found any that have a lowish sodium count to suit me.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    too much peanut butter and 2% milk!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

i'm more like the devil... i eat what i want and still have good results. lol

Agreed, though I don't think the OP was implying that it was necessary to eat anything that you don't enjoy or find boring. Perhaps I misunderstood, but she seemed to be asking what we have given up, not did we give up everything we like.
  • Ebethlonghorn
    Ebethlonghorn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cocktails...not going to lie, it is the hardest thing for me to give up. Maybe I have a problem :drinker:
  • Vogon42
    Vogon42 Posts: 10
    Options
    - Dill pickle chips
    - Cheesecake
  • CynGoold
    Options
    Definitely Chips .......if I open a bag of chips not matter the size I will eat the whole damn bag before I come up for air!

Chocoate Bars .........i occasionally allow myself but ONLY if someone is there to immediately share it with me and my calories have been on target.

Pop / Soda - used to drink 1 - 2 cans a DAY.......I switched to having diet and then read how asparatame turns into formaldihyde after I drink it so I have given that up too. Mostly water now with occasional coffee (prefer Stevia sweetener).

Pasta.......loved my pasta........I almost never have this. Maybe once every 4 + months now. And usually try to use the whole wheat version.
  • iWILLbeFit062012
    iWILLbeFit062012 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bread! Not your average sandwich bread, but any other type. I love bread! If there's a loaf of fresh baked bread near me I will demolish it in one sitting. I don't trust myself enough yet to be in close proximity to it, so I just don't eat it.