unwanted side effects of eating healthy

Options
ok, when I was able to eat what ever I wanted when ever I wanted I didn't have these problems, the first one makes sense but the second I don't understand.

ever since I have gone back to eating whole wheat and whole grain items and alot of veggies (I think even my protein drinks are causing it but I'm not sure) I have alot of gas, debilitating double over in pain gas and gas medicine and gas prevention pills don't seem to do anything for it, I usually just have to wait until it passes. The gas I can understand because your body has to work harder to break down the food and it produces gas from it. I just wish that something would work on it, I was in the pharmacy today and all the gas medicines there were based on the same ingredient.

The second problem has just started last week. I have been getting alot of what I think is heart burn, It isn't in the chest like you see on TV, it's closer to the stomach but it isn't a stomach ache. I have to do trial and error to find out which antacid works on me but those things are expensive, so far tums and another one (I can't remember what it's called but it's a combo pill) only semi work, It takes away most of the pain but I can still feel it. My thing is, I don't get it, isn't eating healthier supposed to get rid of heart burn, not cause it. I don't eat spicy foods, this heart burn actually started tonight before I ate dinner.

so is there any explanation as to why this is happening and anything I can do to prevent or treat either problem, I think preventing would be best

Replies

• noseovertail
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having these side effects! Are you eating a lot of meat? Sometimes it's more difficult for your body to break down nutrients from meat than from vegetables, maybe incorporate more fresh produce into your diet? It's hard to say without knowing your food diary. Personally if I were having those symptoms I'd give my doctor a call before spending $$ on antacids & other OTC pills. Are you drinking enough water during the day? :( I don't really have any other guesses, I'm sorry. I hope it stops for ya.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you let us see your food diary we could help you out more. Do you track fiber? Most people find that if they substantially increase their fiber in a short amount of time, they get digestion issues like you are describing. I'm not sure about the stomach pain...are you taking a multivitamin? They upset my stomach...hard to say without seeing what you are eating!
  • noseovertail
    Options
    Oh I just thought of something, maybe you're lactose intolerant? Before I realized I was lactose intolerant I would wonder why I got horrible gas/cramping all the time. I realized I can't drink any cow milk, I can't eat butter or cream & some cheeses give me horrible pains too. I switched to Earth Balance for my 'butter' and it's SOOOoOOooOo good (better than butter in my opinion) and I try to eat cheese seldomly. I will still indulge in ice cream though, it's worth the pain sometimes ;)
  • MrsMerk
    MrsMerk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This should really be addressed by a doctor. Is there some underlying problem that is being triggered by certain foods that you now eat, but has been there all along? In the future can cause other serious problems that could be prevented if you takecare of this now.
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I would urge you to see a doctor rather than rely on helpful posts (as well meaning as we all are).

The stomach pain does sound rather like the symptoms of an ulcer that a friend of mine was just diagnosed with but lots of things could cause those symptoms.

Please see a doctor and I hope you feel better soon.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    Hmm it could also be a gluten issue? Definitely should go and see the doctor.
  • haileyco
    Options
    As your body becomes more accustomed to eating these "healthy foods" the gas will begin to reduce!!

Also, you need to see a MD for the "heartburn" issue, but sounds more like GERD or acid-reflux to me, but don't take my word for it.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful to not only log your food but also record your symptoms - frequency, intensity, etc. Then print a copy of this log for your doctor to review - he/she may pick up on some patterns or triggers that you're not seeing.

Good luck!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    you could also have a hernia. They are very common and usually a RX for Prevacid or a long term ant-acid will be prescribed. Heartburn or even gas issues you will need to find a drug that works and KEEP taking it. It sometimes takes a long time for them to work and keep working.
    REmember vegetables and whole grains are harder to digest. Try to not eat that fast and actually dont drink alot while eating. Also dont drink alot at night before bed
  • kwill23
    kwill23 Posts: 122
    Options
    This is just a guess, but maybe your stomach is used to producing more acid in order to digest larger amounts of food and now you have an excess because your portions are smaller. I agree if it doesnt get better you should see you doctor.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, unfortunately I can't afford to see a dr, that would be the first thing I would do if I could. I know that I'm lactose intolerant so I don't eat/drink anything with milk in it. Though I have no idea if I'm gluten intolerant. I guess I will have to wait and see if It goes away after getting used to eating this way. I will have to look into if soy could be causing part of the problem.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, unfortunately I can't afford to see a dr, that would be the first thing I would do if I could. I know that I'm lactose intolerant so I don't eat/drink anything with milk in it. Though I have no idea if I'm gluten intolerant. I guess I will have to wait and see if It goes away after getting used to eating this way. I will have to look into if soy could be causing part of the problem.

You HAVE to afford to see a doctor. If you can pay for cable or a lunch out once a week, you can afford to see a doctor. They will make payment plans for you. You can't self-diagnose without getting inot trouble. It isn't that expensive for a diagnostic visit. Call around until you find a doctor that will either work on a sliding scale or take a payment plan. It will be worse if you get really sick and have to get intensive treatment, prevention is far better than treatment.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options

I have celiac. THe most affordable way to see if gluten is the issue (you could also just have a wheat allergy and not be gluten intolerant) is to just cut out all breads/grains and pasta for about a week. It sounds harder then it is.. Its better then buying the GF breads since they are very expensive and truely taste like **** :) I feel like crap even after eating GF pasta. (before I get burned from other GF'ers I know its not that easy going GF but its a big start for her) Do you "go" regularly? If not you may not only need some PRevacid but also a stool softner or laxative. Prevacid and tums and alot of others cause constipation resulting in painful gas. Even if your going daily it may not be enough...
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I had the same problem. I also wasn't losing any weight and was extremely constipated. I figured out that I was eating too much fiber. When I checked my fiber content it was at about 35-45. Try cutting back on the fiber just a little. I try to get right around 25 a day. It's a huge change and your body isn't used to it. You can probably slowly work up to those higher numbers but to shock your system like that causes some rather unpleasant side-effects. I still find if I go too high on fiber one day I have the symptoms again. Drink lots of water and cut back the fiber just a little bit for a few days and see how you feel. If that doesn't help, you should get your doctor's opinion.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Maybe one of your new, healthier food choices is causing the trouble? I've heard of people not being able to eat certain vegetables (onions, cauliflower, cucumber, etc.). Maybe if you try eliminating one vegetable each week, it would help you determine if one of them is the cause. Healthy eating isn't supposed to hurt! :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I think it's your body adjusting to the new and improved "fuel". It's not fun, but it's fixable. First of all, hop over to your local supermarket and pick up a bottle of Acidophilus. We have the strawberry flavored tablets. It's basically a concentrated form of the good bacteria in yogurt. Bulk up on that, and you should notice a difference in several days. I have acid reflux, and the acidophilus really helped curb it. I also went off milk, and cut out soda. Haven't had a flare up in a months!
  • noseovertail
    Options

You HAVE to afford to see a doctor. If you can pay for cable or a lunch out once a week, you can afford to see a doctor. They will make payment plans for you. You can't self-diagnose without getting inot trouble. It isn't that expensive for a diagnostic visit. Call around until you find a doctor that will either work on a sliding scale or take a payment plan. It will be worse if you get really sick and have to get intensive treatment, prevention is far better than treatment.

I agree, you have to find a way to see a doctor. Are there any Walgreens or CVS by you? They both have walk in clinics that are cheap and you can pay cash. They have nurse practitioners working but that's better than nothing. Save the $$ you were going to spend on antacids and go see a professional.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I agree with cmriverside! self-diagnosis is a recipe for disaster. There are free clinics if you can't afford it, or save up for a visit if you can, but you really shouldn't be self diagnosing these things. You could also go to the emergency room when you have a bout of this pain, they can't refuse to see you even if you can't pay for it, you might have to wait for a little while, but at least they should be able to give you some kind of a preliminary diagnosis.
  • dvincent
    Options
    Annastasia
    I'm just on day 3, and I know what you mean about the bloating problem. Last evening I had salad for dinner
    and had the biggest stomach ache all night. My hubby suggested I eat salads for lunch only, maybe
    after eating salads we need to be moving around to help the digestion & eating salads and then going to bed
    it just lays in there and churns. I don't know for sure, but I definitely didn't have salad or veggies this evening.
    I will see what my night is like. Hope you're doing better.!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I agree that going to the doctor is one of those things that you HAVE to find room for in your budget. Having said that - I know that it's a lot harder than it sounds. I've been at the place where I wondered if there was something wrong with me and couldn't go to the doctor.

How is your water intake? Are you drinking enough? Are you spreading your water intake out throughout the day? Make sure that you're not chugging your water at one time - that can be hard on the stomach, especially if you're not used to it. Drinking more water will help soften your stool and help you go more often, hopefully relieving some of the gas symptoms. Unfortunately it may take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to the better fuel that you're supplying it with.

You said that you're getting heartburn before you eat? Is it possible that you're allowing yourself to get too hungry before you eat? Your stomach acids are in there roiling around just waiting for you to give it something - and if you haven't eaten in a while, it might be ramping up for what it thinks is a big meal coming... try eating something small every 2-3 hours and see if it makes a difference. Perhaps once your system knows that food IS coming on a regular basis and that you are no longer going to overload it at any one point in time - your body will adjust.