Fish

Options
I saw on the tilapia post that some of you were looking for fish. If you live near the coast you probably don't have issues finding good fish. Living inland it is hard to find good fresh fish. In a pinch Trader Joe's packaged frozen fish is not bad and sometimes I am really surprised on how fresh it turns out. For those of you that are looking for something really fresh go to http://www.giovannisfishmarket.com/ they are a little pricey but the fish is awesome. I have only had great fish from them. The fish is delivered fresh to your door anywhere in the U.S. within 24 hours. Enjoy...

Replies

• Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian (pesca-tarian I think is the correct term, since I eat seafood and drink milk) but anyway I don't know too much about fish. I mainly stick with shrimp, tuna, salmon, and crab legs.

For anyone who knows a lot about fish, I'm hoping you can tell me what kind of fish I should try next. I like the thick texture/dryness (not sure how to explain it) but I like salmon & tuna way more then cod, tilapia, or flounder (the more thin flakey types). I've tried mahi mahi which wasn't too bad, but not really my favorite. What other types of fish are more like tuna and salmon? I think if I have more of a variety I will eat it more often.
  • Desertracer
    Desertracer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Finding the freshest fish possible will make huge difference in the fish you eat. Based on your likes try swordfish, mahi mahi, or ahi. The key is not to overcook your fish either. No longer than 4-5 minutes on a high heat grill. If the fish is a little more thin it will be less time.
  • ChinChinchilla
    Options
    http://test.mcsuk.org/downloads/fisheries/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf

This is a link to a pocket guide that you can print off. I says what fish to avoid that is not susstainable. Just remember to to over indulge in larger fish because they have higher mercury levels. Good question because now that i have looked it up i shouldn't be eating all the scottish haddock that i have been. It is often best to buy frozen fish anyhow. I work as an inspector for several large canadian grocery chains and often they are just thawing frozen fish in the display counters. For things like shrimp and scallops always go with the frozen they are better quality if they havn't been thawed for days in the store before you get them.