Sugar

Options
Is the recommended level for sugar daily intake all sugars (including naturally occurring sugars in fruit, milk, etc.) or only added sugars?

407982.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Yes, you want to limit sugars from highly processed foods to a minimum or none. Everyone's sugar intakes will vary daily and that is fine. Just remember that sugar - good or bad will turn to fat that your body burns. High carb foods also digest in the form of carb to sugar to fat. Well wishes to you on your journey to health!
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    This is my exact same problem! I go over on sugar every single day!! I love skim milk which has like 11 grams of sugar, I eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day, an orange, 1/2 a banana, a green apple.... they all have so much sugar. I like yogurt, but try to have it only a few times a week because of sugar. I keep all my other foods with sugar that is in the single digit as much as possible, but EVERYTHING seems to have sugar in it. I end up going over and I really think it's my problem with weight loss because I rarely ever go over on sodium.

I don't get it! If we are supposed to have 2-3 servings of fruit a day, how can we do that without going over on sugar? I need to find more information on it because I feel so dumb when it comes to the sugar issue
  • Chellsy302
    Chellsy302 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is my exact same problem! I go over on sugar every single day!! I love skim milk which has like 11 grams of sugar, I eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day, an orange, 1/2 a banana, a green apple.... they all have so much sugar. I like yogurt, but try to have it only a few times a week because of sugar. I keep all my other foods with sugar that is in the single digit as much as possible, but EVERYTHING seems to have sugar in it. I end up going over and I really think it's my problem with weight loss because I rarely ever go over on sodium.

I don't get it! If we are supposed to have 2-3 servings of fruit a day, how can we do that without going over on sugar? I need to find more information on it because I feel so dumb when it comes to the sugar issue

Exactly...I am only supposed to have 29 grams of sugar...an apple has 26 g...if I have some milk or other fruits or even veggie like a sweet potato, that's it...I mean, I am trying to be good about it but it is really hard. Sometimes, I avoid eating fruit because I don't want to use up all sugar in one piece of food and that can't be right. There is a little bit of sugar in almost everything and it all adds up...Argh!! So frustrating!

407982.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am also really confused about this... a few servings of fruit a day, and that is all it takes to reach the sugar limit!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    don't stay away from fruit, but you can make make choices to balance out the sugar in fruit. for example, don't eat all the 'fruits very high in sugar' in the same day. hth!

Fruits Lowest in Sugar

•Small Amounts of Lemon or Lime
    •Rhubarb
    •Raspberries
    •Blackberries
    •Cranberries

Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar

•Strawberries
    •Casaba Melon
    •Papaya
    •Watermelon
    •Peaches
    •Nectarines
    •Blueberries
    •Cantaloupes
    •Honeydew Melons
    •Apples
    •Guavas - Pineapple Guavas (Feijoa) and Strawberry Guavas are probably similar
    •Apricots
    •Grapefruit

Fruits Fairly High in Sugar

•Plums
    •Oranges
    •Kiwifruit
    •Pears
    •Pineapple

Fruits Very High in Sugar

•Tangerines
    •Cherries
    •Grapes
    •Pomegranates
    •Mangos
    •Figs
    •Bananas
    •Dried Fruit, such as

•Dates
    •Raisins
    •Dried Apricots
    •Prunes
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The more you can limit the sugar, the better, but I don't worry too much about sugars from whole fruits or milk sugars.
  • dogmeat
    Options
    If you're staring too much into raw numbers and worry about your sugar intake from fruits, you're just shooting yourself in the foot. Focus should be on avoiding things with added sugar, not staying away from fruits.