Biggest food sacrifices?

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Agreed, though I don't think the OP was implying that it was necessary to eat anything that you don't enjoy or find boring. Perhaps I misunderstood, but she seemed to be asking what we have given up, not did we give up everything we like.

Yes :) And I agree that weight loss doesn't mean it's necessary to eat nothing but kale chips and low-fat cottage cheese. I'm just asking what foods other people sacrificed because the taste wasn't worth the calories, or because it was too hard to moderate. I can't moderate myself when it comes to pasta - I just can't. That doesn't mean I'm miserable without it in my everyday life!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to answer my own question...

-Soda and flavored juice drinks - Completely replaced by water and sometimes seltzer
    -Fast food - Stopped entirely when I got serious about losing weight, and I never eat it anymore (thank GOD the cravings went away completely, I used to eat Wendy's several times a week)
    -Pasta - It's no longer a part of my regular diet and I won't make it at home. But on the rare occasion I'm out for Italian food with family (once every couple of months or so), I will eat it

The pasta is the hardest :)

There were no foods which I have had to totally give up in order to lose weight.

But I did give up two non-foods which were not helping-- added salt (also salt in most processed food except bread) and fake sugar.

The salt and fake sugar seemed to stimulate my appetite and after I stopped using them I ate normal amounts--also my skin looked better when I stopped drinking diet drinks and switched to water.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I haven't sacrificed any kind of food. I kind of sacraficed dinner. I often run out of calories after lunch unless I get a good work out.

4-6 smaller meals a day rather than 3 big ones. you want to keep your body working at a high metabolic rate for optimal fat loss
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I haven't sacrificed any kind of food. I kind of sacraficed dinner. I often run out of calories after lunch unless I get a good work out.

4-6 smaller meals a day rather than 3 big ones. you want to keep your body working at a high metabolic rate for optimal fat loss

prepare to be jumped on for this statement. i said this once and never heard the end of it...just warning you to not take it personally.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have not given up anything. I have noticed in general weeks that I don't drink wine or beer are much thinner looking and feeling weeks. I only eat fast food maybe once/month.

As long as I eat the food I take to work and only eat out maybe once every week or once every other I'm okay.

I've always been a healthy eater and active (and a healthy weight) so I figure as long as I keep on this path...and tracking of course. Without tracking on MFP it is very easy to re-gain.

As for giving up something like pasta (as you mentioned) I don't believe in that. Places on the planet where people live longer than other regions typically have something like pasta in their diets. Like the islands off Greece as an example. Or parts of Japan. I understand that pasta can be a weakness, but as long as you measure it out it really can be part of a healthy diet. I really like the pasta that Wegman's makes: http://www.wegmans.com/blog/2010/09/super-pasta/
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, cheese, peanut butter, and did I mention ice cream?:wink::laugh: I've found "substitutes" for these which I'm fine with. Frozen banana "ice cream", laughing cow cheese, and pb2 are my bff's...in moderation of course.:devil:
  • amann1976
    Options

prepare to be jumped on for this statement. i said this once and never heard the end of it...just warning you to not take it personally.

which statement
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ...and boy, I sure am jealous of all of you who don't have to ban food from your life, must be nice.
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    Alcohol.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I have not given up anything that I enjoy eating.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

which statement

The one that suggests eating 4-6 small meals makes your metabolism work at a higher rate than other meal frequencies.
  • yannuzzi
    Options
    I don't eat any type of red meat and haven't for 8-10 years.

No carbonated beverages of any sort except for the occasional beer.

Carbs are my downfall. Breads/pastas/sweets I try to get all my carbs from fruits and veggies but I do occasionally eat a real carb!! LOL I even eat only peas/corn/potatoes/etc. on occasion.

CHOCOLATE IS THE WORST OF ALL. I COULD EAT ANYTHING WITH CHOCOLATE OR ANY SORT OF CHOCOLATE (EXCEPT WHITE CHOCOLATE WHICH JUST SUCKS). CAKE/ICE CREAM/CHOCOLATE CANDY/BROWNIES....YOU NAME IT. IF IT'S CHOCLATE.......IT'S MINE AND I'LL BEAT YOU DOWN LIKE A RED-HEADED STEPCHILD TO GET IT IN MY BELLY. LOL
    THERE IS "NEVER" ANYTHING CHOCOLATE IN MY HOUSE.
  • amann1976
    Options

which statement

The one that suggests eating 4-6 small meals makes your metabolism working at a higher rate than other meal frequencies.

wow really??? interesting; it is true though
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I was hoping that by ignoring you guys, you'd go find another thread to *kitten* on. Apparently not :(
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Bread - Still working on it Ive cut down quite alot and Im working towards having a whole week without it.

I need to give rum and diet coke the flick too. I dont drink during the week but I certainly make up for it on the weekends!
  • Anamaere
    Anamaere Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I decided to not actively give up anything (makes me destined to fail) but simply to stick to my 'number' (i.e. calories) as i KNOW i'm a horrible over eater. That decision does mean that i have to choose if i do or dont have something, or what kind of a thing i have (like dark versus milk chocolate). Just having the number means that yes i can eat badly, but then i may only eat once a day and that just makes me grumpy, so the vast majority of takeout has been given the flick so someone doesnt kill me for being a moody, hungry cow. LOL

I will say though that i tried the diet instead of sugar softdrinks and it was a HUGE mistake. drinking even half a diet coke/coke zero/etc guarantees me a headache unless i follow if immediately with a huge volume of water, so now i just drink water or do the exercise first so i can have a can of softdrink. It can also be extra hard to resist the siren song of carbs (especially pasta), but some protein usually fixes that
  • 6tassles6
    6tassles6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work shift work and people bring in cakes, cookies, etc. and I love my sweets and chocolate and they just sit there all day or night calling my name. It's been tough to not indulge at work but I did one time and ate a huge slice of cake and regretted it later when I ran out of calories and had to go over. Now I just make sure to bring those 100 calorie fibre one bars to work to curb my sweets cravings, if they should arise.
  • keepitstylish
    Options
    ice cream ice cream ice cream.. i have been successfully avoiding it for a month now, i have an insatiable appetite for ice cream.. ever since i have started logging the number of calories i consume i have been able to avoid it as it would be detrimental to achieve my goal
  • nikteazer2
    nikteazer2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Beer! Used to drink every night! Now have the occasional white wine spritzer
    Bread - probably the thing I miss the most but have stopped craving for it now
    Pasta, I do seem to eat a lot of rice now instead though!

Have lost 30lbs just giving up the above, clean eating and lots if water so the sacrifice is totally worth it!!
  • lisamariepickering
    Options
    Chips, chips, chips. Specifically BBQ Lays. Drooool. But I found the Special K Cracker Chips and they are super yummy for very little calories. I just have to remember to count out a portion and not plop down on the couch with the whole box.