Disect my diary: Eating under hindering gaining muscle!???

Options
2»

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've had a look at your diary and personally I think you're eating too much fat Your calories are fine but you're eating 60g fat on some days!!

Why would that be a problem? 60g of fat is fine, not even a high number.

^Yep. Thats a good amount. Good fat is good for you. : )
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've had a look at your diary and personally I think you're eating too much fat Your calories are fine but you're eating 60g fat on some days!!

^ you need that! they are right!

my routine is non-existent right now. I am lifting once a week - twice if Im stressed out more than usual, running about 25 miles a week, and working in pilates or something similar in between for active rest days and usually nothing on fridays.

BUT Im about to switch to a gym down my street and then I want 4 lifting days (one of which would be bodyweight circuit style so it would count as a cardio day too) and 2 short runs and a long run. I mean a LONG run. Yesterday I did 13 for the first time in a very long time- id been stuck at 9 and just wanted that growling extra oomph.

But i think of it this way. If I could drive to my fitness goals, would I only put half a tank of fuel in my car, or enough to get me all the way there?

:drinker:
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options

^ you need that! they are right!

my routine is non-existent right now. I am lifting once a week - twice if Im stressed out more than usual, running about 25 miles a week, and working in pilates or something similar in between for active rest days and usually nothing on fridays.

BUT Im about to switch to a gym down my street and then I want 4 lifting days (one of which would be bodyweight circuit style so it would count as a cardio day too) and 2 short runs and a long run. I mean a LONG run. Yesterday I did 13 for the first time in a very long time- id been stuck at 9 and just wanted that growling extra oomph.

But i think of it this way. If I could drive to my fitness goals, would I only put half a tank of fuel in my car, or enough to get me all the way there?

:drinker:

I *try* to eat good fats........I cook only in evoo or coconut oil, etc.

When you go to the gym to lift, do you have a time goal? That's what I mainly do now........I will go in and say I'm going to play with weights for, say, 20 minutes. And just see what work I get done in that time. Or should I be going in with a certain amount of work to do in however long it takes to do it?

And, so you're saying........raise my calories, raise my weight training, keep in some cardio...???
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    When you go to the gym to lift, do you have a time goal? That's what I mainly do now........I will go in and say I'm going to play with weights for, say, 20 minutes. And just see what work I get done in that time. Or should I be going in with a certain amount of work to do in however long it takes to do it?

Personally I do the latter. I have a specific amount of sets of specific exercises that I intend on doing, and I stay till they're done. Usually takes me 60-75mins. Having a plan leads to better progress, in my opinion.
  • mtlkate
    mtlkate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump. Wow! That's a lot of useful information. Thanks for going into detail.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

It is going to depend on a few things. If 20-30 minutes is an intense workout for you then that is enough. I have a set routine that I try to finish. They usually take 45-60 minutes plus some cardio at the end. What you dont want to do is over stress your body.

Pick a proven program and stick to it. 5x5, New Rules for lifting and a few others get a lot of great reviews. Just going in and hitting a few machines with no plan is just spinning your wheels.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

It is going to depend on a few things. If 20-30 minutes is an intense workout for you then that is enough. I have a set routine that I try to finish. They usually take 45-60 minutes plus some cardio at the end. What you dont want to do is over stress your body.

Pick a proven program and stick to it. 5x5, New Rules for lifting and a few others get a lot of great reviews. Just going in and hitting a few machines with no plan is just spinning your wheels.

Dead on advice here! I would suggest Starting Strength. The volume is a little less than 5x5 and it stiill is an easy to follow and uncomplicated program. But have a plan.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Not enough protein--too many refined carbs. Eat whole wheat English muffins instead. I think I saw a blueberry muffin mix, chocolate stix, Trader Joe's tortilla. Don't eat that kind of stuff. Your diet's not bad but refined carbs and lack of protein is probably the biggest problem.
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen of your diary, it doesn't look like you are doing strength training beyond whatever might be included under your circuit training entries. I highly encourage you to start lifting heavy, because it will really help change your shape and the development of lean muscle will help your metabolism.
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Looks like your fat is coming out on the high side quite often. I think I'd focus on cutting that back.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you eat at a calorie surplus with well-balanced macros (you do have to hit the protein mark), and then substitute your cardio (at least some of it) for resistance training, you should see both an increase in muscle and a decrease in fat. Best part is that since you don't have a lot of fat to lose, building some muscle will make you look leaner automagically.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    One idea might be to talk to whoever created or assisted you in creating your regimen and see if they know of a baseline level of calories you should consume with that program. The man who developed my primary regimen specified that, to benefit from the program, users needed to apply the "Moderately Active" multiplier to the BMR formula JUST to cover the caloric needs of his program, alone.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you eat at a calorie surplus with well-balanced macros (you do have to hit the protein mark), and then substitute your cardio (at least some of it) for resistance training, you should see both an increase in muscle and a decrease in fat. Best part is that since you don't have a lot of fat to lose, building some muscle will make you look leaner automagically.

This is correct. The only thing I would emphaize is that when trying to build muscle I would eliminate or all but eliminate cardio. Like maybe one session per week to maintian adaptations. The hormonal and chemical responses of the body to cardio and to strength training for hypertrophy and counterproductive to eachother.