Ways to make Zumba more challenging?

Options
Hi there! So I've been doing zumba 4-5 times a week for about a month now, and I absolutely love it. It's the one workout which never seems to get boring, and of course my body has transformed a bit since last month.
There's just one issue... Obviously, as with any other cardio workout, the more you do it, the easier it gets. I had a 4-day Zumba hiatus and none of the workouts I've done since have given me the same satisfaction... even the toning DVDs don't seem to be as challenging as they once were, and I'm using 3-pound weights instead of the suggested 1-pound weights. I'm not sure if my body needed rest and that's why I find the workouts so easy, or if there's another reason behind it, but the challenge is pretty much gone!
Do you have any tips to make the workouts more challenging? I would hate to stop doing Zumba just because I can't feel the burn!

Replies

• dadzpeach
    dadzpeach Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump so I can see some ideas too
  • zeppelinkd
    zeppelinkd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Three pounds is not a lot of weight. Your body is already used to that amount. If you want to build muscle, lift heavy weights and do things l like dumbbell curls, lunges with weights, squats with weights, deadlifts, chest presses, one arm dumbbell rows.

If you really like Zumba, do it one a week and do other more challenging cardio exercises for the rest of the time. Try jogging, the rowing machine - or even try another type of exercise class if you like that kind of a set up.

Bottom line - You are making progress, which is why Zumba and 3 lbs weights don't work any more. That's a good thing. Lift heavy, move harder and faster.
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    somebody on my friends list does zumba on their toes for a better workout, she seems to like it but i've never tried!
    maybe you should try a different class if you are not getting as much out of it as you used to. I started with zumba but had to move onto more 'difficult' classes as i got fitter. x
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love zumba too but I have come to the realization that it's not going to get any harder. I simply stopped doing it so much..... I've realized it's not going to make my body change anymore since I'm too use to it.... I started trying other classes, I enjoy body pump, spin class and step. Perhaps you would like some of those as well... I might do zumba on rare occasion (if I had a hard workout the day before) but I would just hate to waste my time doing something that is not getting me anywhere.... it sucks but it's what I have to do if I want to change my body. "If it's not challenging you, it's not going to change you".
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Different instructors pace their classes differently so definitely try a different instructor. Also you could ask the instructor for ways to up the challenge. I know dropping deeper into the moves to add a squat component helps, also maybe ask about using Toning sticks in the regular class also. I'm just getting started with Zumba so I haven't reached that point yet. I did try a kickboxing class and it certainly worked different muscles than my Zumba class.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    By walking past the class and going to the rack to do heavy squats instead?
  • teejay2039
    Options
    ^^ WHAT HE SAID!!!
  • nielym
    nielym Posts: 4
    Options
    I am actually using DVDs at home, which is part of my problem! I may start going to the gym, but trust me, the last thing I need is a bigger lower body, which heavy square unfortunately have often led me to!
    But thanks for your tips, I will try to change up my workouts from now on.
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba® and will likely never quit no matter what. I say move harder and more intense. If you are doing videos and not a class that's the problem. U need another video. If you have a good instructor they tend to automatically change up songs and routines so if it is a class it's never the same and your body should never get used to it. Also if even still u are not feeling challenged then do Zumba® wearing ankle weights or something or do Zumba® as your easy workout day...and incorporate other workouts as the others suggested

ETA I have done the vidoes the game and the classes with various instructors let me tell you...the class>game>the videos ...the video is basically nothing compared to the class the game is almost as good as going to class...
  • krypty
    krypty Posts: 14
    Options
    Yea, so something else...zumba is glorified dancing, its barely a workout
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Have you tried ankle weights and wrist weights?
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You def need to try a different instructor. I have one that I am in love with for sure. He kicks my butt every time and always has new routines. I have been doing it consistantly for 4 months and I am always dripping sweat when I leave the class. I would for sure shop around to a new instructor if possible.

**saw you did the Dvd's.. (My poor brain) I would try an instructor. More hardcore for sure! :)
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to take a Zumba class if others think it's too easy... I bought Wii Zumba Fitness 2 and honestly can't even keep up with the beginner songs because the character on the screen moves so quickly and there isn't a lot of warning as to what moves are coming next (just a shadow of the movement in a PIP screen).
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Dare ya to actually take a Zumba class and do all the moves as fast as the instructor says and with good form, then you can diss it if you still think its not exercise. It isn't strength training, no, but I certainly burn more than I ever did on the elliptical or the treadmill.
    Also, I took a kickboxing class intead last night, and let me tell you compared to Zumba it was way less cardio, I did get a good workout, but Zumba definitely burns more calories.
  • mhouston2011
    Options

I'm interested to see if you have ever tried this "glorified dancing" or if you just make quick judgements without the proof to back it up?
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You're probably familiar enough with the moves in the video to kick things up a notch. Make your steps a lot bigger. Turn steps into leaps. Really, jump every chance you get. Turn your six-step into a pivot turn. Since you're doing this at home, you don't have to worry about running into people - just figure out what moves you can sub in for what the instructor is doing that will cause you to move your body more.

I've also found that the Zumba classes at my gym are a LOT more difficult than the standard workout videos. My instructor increases the music speed and uses a lot of jumps and direction changes in her choreography. Trying a class might help you a lot.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Do it with one leg.
  • amcmullan
    amcmullan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Zumba is more than glorified dancing, I used to burn 1000 calories in one hour, come out dripping with sweat. Each move is supposed to be done a certain way and if your doing it in the right form you will feel it. If you have a good instructor, like some others said, they will change up the routines so that you are not constantly doing the same movements. The workouts on DVD are not as challenging as a class.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I used to wear a weight belt in dance rehearsals. It helped me get more out of my conditioning, as well as making it more difficult for my partner to lift me - building strength.

Really though...I would just keep doing zumba because it's fun, and find another way to burn those cals and challenge your body. It's important to change your routine every so often or your results will stall.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Definitely try to get to a class. My instructor is awesome, she is constantly changing things up and she does a lot of fitness moves.