starting today

Options
Hi,

I decided to join my fitness pal today. I know it is a great tool and I do much better when I record what I eat. I have set some reasonable goals for the long term. If I follow the plan I should loose 1.5 per week. My worst time is late evening. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Kelsea1218
    Options
    I'm the same way! Because I know I will want to snack later on in the evening, I try to save some calories for that time. I also go out of the way at the grocery store to find decent snacks that are low cal that I can set aside to reward myself for a good day of eating-which is happening more and more because of these rules I have set for myself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cindy and Kelsea:flowerforyou:

There is a group that has a topic here that has a great success rate for people with this issue (like- all of us, right?)

here is the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81669-no-late-night-junk-snacking-feb-15-21?hl=late+night+&page=1#posts-1125375

They start a new thread every week I think and they post the new link on the old thread. Check it out - it's helpful.

Good luck to you both!
  • THuffers
    Options
    I know the feeling... I'm a mid-afternoon and late evening snacker. Now that I don't work and am a SAHM, I find that in the afternoons I want to eat because no one is watching me (except a 1 month old) and late at night after a stressful day I want to snack to relax.

Besides keeping less junk food and more healthy snacks in the house, I'm learning to distract myself and keep myself busy when I want to eat. During the afternoons I like to walk my dogs or find a household chore that needs to be done (which there always is something to do!). The evenings can be harder for me to distract myself, but I find that reading with a glass of water or some hot tea helps a lot. It keeps me out of the kitchen and helps to hydrate myself at the same time!

Good luck!
  • aliciarae22
    Options
    Hello was jst wondering how u get ur calender count on ur page tried few times and couldnt get it up??
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Hello was jst wondering how u get ur calender count on ur page tried few times and couldnt get it up??

do you mean the "Weight Loss Ticker"?

Here is how:

Q. How do I add a ticker to my forum signature?

A. Here's a quick explanation of how to add a weight loss ticker to your forum signature:

1. First, click on the "Tools" tab, then click on "Tickers" in the light blue bar below the tabs to reach the section of the site where you can create your ticker.

2. Follow the steps to create your ticker. They should (hopefully) be self-explanatory.

3. When your ticker has been completed, you'll be shown two boxes with code in them to display your ticker. Click on the box on the left (BBCode) - this is the code you need to use on the MyFitnessPal message boards. Highlight all of the code in that box (most browsers will do this automatically once you click on the box). If the code is not all highlighted, you can right-click on the box and choose "Select All"

4. Once you have highlighted all of the code, right click on the code and choose "Copy."

5. Now click on the "My Home" tab, then click "Settings" in the light blue bar below the tabs, and finally, click on the "Change forum signature" link.

6. Right-click in the box where you can type your forum signature and choose "Paste."

7. Finally, click "Save Changes."

Once you've saved your new forum signature, every post you've ever made should now display your ticker at the bottom of it. You don't need to create a new post to test your ticker - just look at any previous post, and the ticker will be displayed there if you've followed the steps properly.

(From Frequently asked questions - or "Help" - at the top right of every screen)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/faq
    __________________________________________________________________________________
  • Julem22
    Julem22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thuffers, congrats on your baby!!! That is so exciting, I have a 9 month old girl!!! Anyway, hello to all, I am "restarting" today. I sort of went off the deep end the past few months and now need to get back on track!! Good luck and happy Sunday to all!!
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Hi,

I decided to join my fitness pal today. I know it is a great tool and I do much better when I record what I eat. I have set some reasonable goals for the long term. If I follow the plan I should loose 1.5 per week. My worst time is late evening. Any suggestions?

Have you thought about 100 calorie pop corn as a snack. I sometimes eat that if I'm watching tv and feeling snacky. I drink water with it and if I want something sweet I added a sugar free water flavoring packet to it! I'm a night time snacker too, especially if I have a glass of wine. Just try to keep healthy snacks around so if you reach for something it will be low calorie and you won't feel guilty!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've learned to embrace my evening snacking by planning it in to my calories as a reward if I'm under my calories for the day. My weakness is ice cream, so I keep some 100-150 calorie prepackaged ice cream treats around and I plan my day to include them. I do not keep any snacks around that are not prepackaged in single serving sizes. This helps keep me honest in tracking their calories.

Hope this helps and welcome to MFP.

JAM