Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas... OH MY!!!

Options
So... these 3 major eating holidays are coming up. I've never tried to eat healthy at this time of year before... or really any time of year. But, I am not giving up now that I've come this far. However, I expect it to be a little difficult. Are there any good suggestions from fellow FP's out there? What has worked for you? What hasn't worked?

I'm thinking I'll just watch portions, which will be hard? Any good advice on watching portion controls at all the get-togethers coming up?

Replies

• emzack
    emzack Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about this as well. I'm used to having plenty to drink, and then eating whatever I want... and dealing with the 5 lbs gain every january! Not this year! Not if I can help it...

I think my plan is, similar to every day, to fill up on fruits and veggies, keep exercising, and stay away (as much as possible) from the alcohol. The last part will be the hardest for me. I am thinking maybe I'll pick up some sparkling water to mix with and water down the wine, and maybe some flavored waters to put in a wine glass and keep me happy.

Would love to hear some other suggestions!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the holiday. I usually don't log the day of. It is a holiday and I enjoy it. I just don't start the holiday eating early and continue it after.....
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about this as well. I'm used to having plenty to drink, and then eating whatever I want... and dealing with the 5 lbs gain every january! Not this year! Not if I can help it...

I think my plan is, similar to every day, to fill up on fruits and veggies, keep exercising, and stay away (as much as possible) from the alcohol. The last part will be the hardest for me. I am thinking maybe I'll pick up some sparkling water to mix with and water down the wine, and maybe some flavored waters to put in a wine glass and keep me happy.

Would love to hear some other suggestions!

Fortunately, the alcohol is not a problem for me. It's the cookies and candies. And fried foods.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the holiday. I usually don't log the day of. It is a holiday and I enjoy it. I just don't start the holiday eating early and continue it after.....

I probably won't worry as much on the day OF Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's the weeks up to and following these days that I'm worried about. :laugh: Especially when my mother loves to bake so much.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Well, we don't have Thanksgiving here, and we don't really have Halloween as a "holiday" as such, so I'm just thinking about Christmas. I think I might set my goal to maintenance for a couple of weeks (I'll be about due a diet break by then anyway, like to take one every few months). I then plan to exercise lots and make use of intermittent fasting and calorie cycling when need be if there are days of indulgence. Otherwise, I'm just going to enjoy yummy food and hopefully continue the portion control that I've been practising all year. :drinker: