Pain in my shoulder and near my neck....

Options
Hello,

So, three months ago I could not even finish one mile jogging, now I can comfortably jog (4.5 mph, 3% incline) 3.5 miles. However, I have been noticing that around mile 2:
- My left shoulder begins to hurt and the pain moves up to my lower neck;
- I thought it was bad breathing, but I am breathing normally;
- I thought it was posture, but there is nothing different between the left and the right shoulders. If I put it down it hurts (plus it is really hard to run with your arm down);
- I thought it was the different surfaces when running outside, but it is happening on the treadmill as well;
- I have changed shoes, and these ones are the best ones yet;
- I do stretch and sometime I grab the treadmill bars to rest the arm; but it still hurts.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
M

Replies

• lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to see a doctor sooner, than later. Could be something muscular etc, or it could be cardiac related.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    see a chiropractor
  • martamierzejewski
    Options
    I would go to see a doctor, just to be safe. Heart pain can show up in places other than the heart. It's probably nothing serious, something like a stich maybe, but better safe than sorry. Hope all clears up for you real soon! :)
  • vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It could also be a pinched nerve... Sorry I don't have any help other than that.
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My bet is that you have a tight deltoid muscle. You wouldn't think that would cause your neck to hurt, but when a muscle starts to hurt you get the guarding... and the trapezius muscle likely starts to take over the motion, which causes it to tighten up across your lower neck. You will probably need to do some stretching, and possibly have an alignment (since the tightening can cause things to adjust the wrong way)...

BUT, like others suggested... you should see a doctor first. If it isn't muscular, it may be something more serious... better to be safe than sorry!
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    See a doctor (DC or MD) because usually as you get into your run, your endorphins should cover normal pain unless it is more serious. From my non medical experiences. Does this make sense?
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I am sure we all have thoughts and suggestions but we are not Dr.s I feel it sounds like a possible nerve impingement I had something similar and as I ran the movement irratated the nerve and it hurt quite a bit I saw a chiropractor a few times and with adjustment it improved I get a massage every two weeks now and it does wonders for sore muscles and nerves she sometimes rolls the muscles over the nerve bands and releases the knots can almost make me cry when she is working on me but feel great after
    But we aren't Drs so our opinion shouldnt guide your health get a professional to check you out your running will improve and be much more enjoyable
  • Vicstar1977
    Options
    Something minor to consider, you're not looking down when you run are you? I have that habit of looking at my feet and after awhile my neck feels tight.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I used to get this exact thing a lot when at work. I drive a truck, so I figured it was something with the seat. Turns out my traps were just extremely weak, and exhausted easily. After a few sessions of getting into heavy shoulder work, then pain has never returned.

This may not be the case for you, but it's something to consider.
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    try posture work (shoulder blade pinches)
    diaphragm pain (stitch) can also refer to neck/shoulder
    or see a physiotherapist ;)
  • ticho9
    ticho9 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thank you to all who responded! A+

Although you clearly stated that you are not Drs, I think you all speak from experience. I have made an appointment to go see my M.D. and I have consulted with a close friend who deals with sports injuries and rehab. One possible explanation is that when I was in high school I got my left shoulder dislocated wile on a water polo match. They put it back in, but I never did anything about it. It is until now that I have noticed that my shoulders are not aligned, and that my collar bone is slightly shifted. It is probably too late to do anything to it (meaning fixing it), but I will still go get a medical opinion...

I will keep those of you interested in an update informed.

Happy running!
  • ticho9
    Options
    I used to get this exact thing a lot when at work. I drive a truck, so I figured it was something with the seat. Turns out my traps were just extremely weak, and exhausted easily. After a few sessions of getting into heavy shoulder work, then pain has never returned.

This may not be the case for you, but it's something to consider.
    I did change my chair at work and at home since I spend about 9-10 hours typing on a computer....
  • ticho9
    Options
    I only look down when I am running on a new surface (street, etc) that I don't know... but when I run in the track, I don't usually look down. But good point though!
  • ticho9
    Options
    See a doctor (DC or MD) because usually as you get into your run, your endorphins should cover normal pain unless it is more serious. From my non medical experiences. Does this make sense?

Yes, it makes perfect sense... I have played tennis with a wrist injury, and I understand what you mean... I also got used to the pain my shoulder sometimes causes me while swimming, but I have learned what is normal and what is not... I just need to apply the same logic to running since I do not want to use this pain as an excuse not to run!