Vegan Tofu 'Ricotta' Stuffed Shells - Pasta Recipe :)

Options
tumblyweed
tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
Pretty simple recipe. Have not had time to put it in the database to check for calories, etc.

6-oz. uncooked jumbo shells
1 14-oz. package extra firm tofu, drained
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. dried basil
2 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 24-oz. jar vegan marinara sauce

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cook the jumbo shells according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside.
Crumble the tofu into a large mixing bowl, then add the olive oil, lemon juice, basil, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, and salt. Stir until just combined.
Pour 1/3 of the marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9-inch-by-13-inch glass dish.
Spoon a large dollop of the tofu mixture into each shell and place in the dish. Continue until you have formed four rows of four or five shells each, then top with the remaining marinara sauce.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.

Replies

• Davidgettinghealthy
    Options
    Bump for later reading. Thank you. :-)
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish.

I've found that many pre-made marinaras can be high in oil and wreck your calorie deficit, so if you have time, a homemade sauce might be a tasty topper!
  • tumblyweed
    Options
    If you have one, post it here so we can substitute :)
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    sounds great! thanks!
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    that sounds good :) thanks for sharing
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Bump. Sounds good!
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Okee doke:

My fave quick marinara

1 large can whole low-sodium tomatoes
    1 15 oz can roasted tomatoes
    1 small (8 oz) can tomato sauce (Spanish style is good here)
    ~6 cloves garlic
    2 T good quality olive oil
    salt & pepper to taste
    Handful of chopped fresh herb--basil, oregano, marjoram or thyme would all be good. I'd even go for mint.

Smash and lightly brown garlic cloves in 1 T oil. Add whole tomatoes, juice from can, and tomato sauce, breaking up the tomatoes coarsely with your hands as you add them.

Take the pot down to a simmer, add roasted tomatoes and let simmer uncovered for as long as you can, until it's thicker, for an hour or two, taking care not to let it burn. When you're satisfied with the consistency, add the second tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt & pepper to taste. If you have to have perfectly smooth sauce, you can run an immersion blender through it. I like mine chunky. Add chopped herb(s) over top.
  • tumblyweed
    Options
    Sounds good! Could probably turn it into a 'crock pot marinara' and let it cook real slow so that the flavor could burst! :)
  • DeborahBatewell
    DeborahBatewell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    :)