How much is too much?

Options
How many times a week for what duration are you all finding the most effective in getting fit and slim?
:glasses:

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, listen to your body. Most people seem to do 3-5 days a week, 30-60 minutes at a time.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Too much is the amount that you can't recover from before the next workout. How much that is depends on fitness level, genetics, and the type of workout you are doing. What is too much now may not be enough later as far as fitness goes.
  • olerolls
    olerolls Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to listen to your body. What is too much for one person might not be too much for someone else. I am just starting my fitness/weight loss journey (two weeks yesterday). I started by joining a boot camp that meets Tues/Thur/Fri mornings. It's a very tough workout and takes a lot out of me. I was sure that was going to be all the workouts I would do each week - just those and in general moving more in daily life (walking at lunch and in the evenings, etc.). But by the time that first Sunday came around, I was craving a workout and couldn't wait until Tuesday. So I worked out Sunday and Monday too. I continued boot camp, but I'm also working out every one of the off days. Yesterday, I had boot camp in the morning and worked out again in the evening.

I never in a million years would have thought that I would enjoy working out this much, or that my body could do so much. Working out every day feels really good and right to me at this point, so I'm going with it. If it starts feeling like too much, then I'll scale back. I think that's the key - do what your body can. Set a goal, but if it's too easy, push yourself to do more. If it's too hard and you feel you're risking injury, tone it down. Don't worry so much about what works for others and instead focus on what your body tells you.
  • CLDKess
    CLDKess Posts: 40
    Options
    I am currently doing a total body fitness class that meets M-W-F (45 minutes) and personal training 1-2x/week (1 hour) as well. I often don't feel sore anymore and previously that was how I gauged if my workout was working...the teacher of the class is certain I am doing enough exercise to make a difference yet I am not losing any weight...It has to be my diet :(
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Correct, soreness has nothing to do with how hard you worked. Weight loss is also 80-100% diet. Sounds like you're getting plenty of exercise and you know where to look.
  • CLDKess
    CLDKess Posts: 40
    Options
    I do, but I am having a really hard time controlling the "fat" in my diet...I was under the impression that good (natural fat ie Avocado) wasn't bad but actually helped. Thoughts?
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Nothing wrong with fat at all, especially the unsaturated fats. Only thing you really want to avoid is trans fats. Only real "problem" is they are relatively high in calories so that has to be figured into your overall intake. They don't do anything special to help weight loss either, however.