What's wrong with my work out plan?

It's been 4 months, 35-90mins cardio a day (Lately separate the work out during the day, eg, morning/noon and evening), 5 days a week. Eat carefully most of time. Lost in total 5 lbs. No big changes in measurement also. Anybody have some idea of why it is sooo slow?

Replies

• What are you eating?
  • jmach002
    jmach002 Posts: 113 Member
    u need to add strength training three times a week. it will make a huge difference when added to the cardio you already are doing
  • Alioops831
    Alioops831 Posts: 207 Member
    A few questions...

Are you burning more calories than you're eating every day (or the majority of days)?

Are you on any medication?
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    What do you typically eat in a day? What exercises do you typically do and what is your height/weight. Without those things, no one will be able to help you.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    I just looked at your diary for a few days-where is your water? How much do you have to lose-if it's less it'll take longer but if you have a lot to lose, it's faster
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Checking out your food, (and I'm sure you know this) it seems you're eating a lot of calorie dense carby/fatty food. You may have better luck switching out the buns for breakfast and eating some protein. And cheesecake, while evilly delicious, will not help you lose weight eating it a couple times a week.

I think you should lighten up on cardio (30-45 minutes a day) and do strength training. Keep at it!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    If you're not losing like you expect it's usually your food intake, not the exercise routine, though it could also be the intensity of the exercise (say you got really efficient at your current routine and it no longer burns what it used to).
  • yaomihaha
    yaomihaha Posts: 21 Member
    What are you eating?

Thanks for replying. Most of time oats in the mornings, sometime with fruits, vegg+beef/chicken(high protein meat)+whole grain bread/ rice as lunches, similar but normally smaller amount as supper. have snacks twice a day ( morning and afternoon, with fruit, dark chocolate, or nuts, etc) , lately drink milk/ eat egg after work out.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Strength training. Do 30-60 minutes of cardio mostly to keep your heart healthy and burn a few calories, but unless you're training for a marathon and need to put in more time, switch your focus to lifting. You need to be building muscle to tone up and increase your metabolism.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    You could probably better use the time you spend at the gym by doing shorter more intense cardio such as HIIT and in all the time you save add in strength training
  • yaomihaha
    Thanks for all you guys. I am too lazy to record all my weight lifting thing and my water thing. I do do weight training in my usual work out plan. I admit that lately I am doing badly on my diet because I am getting too upset. I will try to adjust the diet, and then try interval training maybe.
  • Alioops831
    Alioops831 Posts: 207 Member
    In my experience when I'm not losing weight it's because I'm eating too much or just too much crap. Track your food intake carefully, make sure you're burning more than you eat and you'll start seeing results.
  • My first instict lead to your diet. How many calories are you eating? Do you count macros? What's your BMR? TDEE? What are you eating? Have you hit a platrau?
  • You need to incorporate strength training into your routine. Strength training will help develop the muscle that you need to help lose body fat. You also need to mix up your routine. Your body can become accustom to a certain workout and after a while it will slow down your weight loss. Also with each workout you need to go into it with a mindset that it will be your best workout. You need to leave each workout feeling like you can’t go anymore.
    For your strength training you should focus on each major muscle group in your body. You should lift at least 3 times a week and lift each muscle group at least once a week. When doing your lifting program make sure you are completing 12-14 sets each workout and for each set have a rep range from 8-20. Having a higher rep range will help with fat loss and help tone your muscles. With your cardio incorporate different workouts, such as the treadmill, elliptical, stairs, or even just sprinting outside. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them the best of my ability
  • yaomihaha
    All good advices. Will think more of my work out routine and try to start to eat clean and good. Just worries that I am not strong enough to do wight lifting more, currently 3 lb, 12 a set already make me dead.

ahahaha :) Thanks all you guys. Feel better now.