How much cardio a day

Options
Hey guys,

How much cardio a day would be safe and i mean like the MAXIMUM without putting yourself at risk of injury.

im currently doing about 1 hour, 30 min on cross trainer and 30 mins on bike. i just feel like i could do more but i hear too much is bad.

thanks

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run for an hour or so most every morning. Weekends I run for 2+ hours on at least one day.

My uterus has yet to fall out.
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    I run for between 50 minutes and an hour each day. Apart from being called crazy, I don't think there is a problem. You're on the bike and the cross trainer = probably better than running as it is less impact on your joints. If you feel like you could do more, you could always up the intensity?
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Unless you feel like spending more time in the gym I would suggest upping the resistance. Why spend longer in the gym?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If your motivation is increased calorie burn and weight loss, I recommend increasing intensity, sticking to an hour or less and adding in weight training.
  • Ian214
    Ian214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i have the resistance on the machines at about 5-6 but i workout based on my heart rate i have quite a high resting rate which is at 100 sometimes 110, when i workout i try to keep under 170 and normally i am about 165. if the intensity was any higher i probably have to stop or my heart rate would go above 180 which im told is not safe for me.

when my heart rate dosent rocket so high and i get stronger id like to increase the intensity but i think for now i need to focus maintaining the excercise for as long as i can. i want and feel like i could do more ( more as in longer workouts not harder ) but im scared of over doing it.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Well I'm hoping my IMAZ attempt will be less than 12 hours... so 12 hours of cardio.
  • Ian214
    Options
    Well I'm hoping my IMAZ attempt will be less than 12 hours... so 12 hours of cardio.

12 hours a Day?
  • deadpool10
    deadpool10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    lifting weights burn more calories. Why join a gym just for cardio when you can run outside.
  • Ian214
    Options
    i spent about 40 mins on weights 2-3 times a week also
  • IronmanPanda
    Options

12 hours a Day?

Well it's a one day event... It wouldn't be an Ironman if it was over the course of a week now would it?
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    A hour a day is plenty of cardio, unless you training for a half or full marathon. That coupled with your weight training sessions is enough. Just stay under maintenance on your calories and the weight will continue to melt off. Remember you didn't put the weight on over night, you're not gonna lose it over night.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    lol well if you're training for a specific event - like Ironman, for instance... or something more reasonable but still over an hour like a half marathon, full marathon, triathlon, Tough Mudder etc. - training for the duration of the effort is a good idea. I ran a half marathon in August and once a week I'd train for up to 2:15 or so, but most of my workouts were about 1:15 or less otherwise.

It's fine to do more than an hour, but it's unnecessary to do it daily unless you're specifically training for an endurance event. There are no cardiovascular fitness gains over an hour and really, working out more than an hour a day for the long term just seems a bit over the top.

For weight loss and general fitness it's probably more reasonable to work out up to an hour a day and eat less so you continue to lose weight reasonably.
  • deadpool10
    Options
    What's your goal just to just lose weight or to get lean muscle?
  • IronmanPanda
    Options

OMG I loved you in Wolverine!!
  • Ian214
    Options

Both
  • Ian214
    Options

OMG I loved you in Wolverine!!

lol
  • ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I might suggest doing some interval training rather than keeping it the same intensity for your entire workout. I like to start a a lower level and up it every 2 minutes until I hit the upper limits of the heart rate and then slow it back down. Rinse and repeat.
  • d1angel
    Options
    I sometimes do an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. Generally, though, I do 30 min of HITT training twice a day, and that's plenty. :-)
  • deadpool10
    Options
    Lol they screwed him up in wolverine with the ending scene. Lol anyways do more weights less cardio eat a lot of protein lift heavy weights. Try for like 4 sets of 6-10 if you can do more its to light. And of course keep your calories 500 below your maintenance level and you should be golden. You'll see notable results within a month
  • Ian214
    Options
    Thanks for all y'all advice