Farmer's Market: What do you get?

Options
For the first time, I went to the local ones here..it was pretty big. About a whole city block. Everything looked good. Tons of yummy fruits and veggies, natural meat rolls/breads..coffee, pies..pumpkins..apple cider..what do you usually get at yours?

Replies

• jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. I love hutterite veggies! I don't even buy veggies at the grocery store in the summer. I live in an area where fruit is not really grown well, but carrots, peppers, peas, beans, cukes, brocolli, tomatoes...AH! You name it, I buy it.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Eggs, fruit and veg, apple juice, cheese (in moderation!), fish, meat... I do try to resist the bread and cakes but buy them for the kids.

The best things at our farmer's market, depending on the time of year are free range eggs, turkey, venison, seafood, soft fruits (strawberries, raspberries etc) and goat's cheese. Also a lovely man on the local organic co-operative stall who will give you recipe tips for all the obscure veg he sells!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I love fresh eggs. Honey when I need a little. The FM here sells the little 1 serving tubes. No Salt Boiled Peanuts. Which ever veg are cheap. And whichever fruit is in season. Love mid summer blue berries.

I forgot goat cheese. I love that stuff.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I go to our local farmer's market almost every weekend. Fresh, locally grown peppers, tomatoes, green beans, broccoli...yum! I get whatever looks good and is in season. I've also gotten very nice cut flowers, seasonal plants, herbs and spices. I go with a friend so even if I don't find anything, I've still enjoyed an early morning walk and some laughs.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Only a week or two left for most of the markets left where I am (Boston) but this time of year I'll grab a few of the last tomatoes, lots of greens and lettuce. Poblano peppers if they have them and some corn too.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    We try to get whatever is in season...I'm going to miss my cherry tomatoes! Ours will end mid-November! Right now I am stocking up on squash, greens, carrots, beets, apples and sweet potatoes! I also like to get my honey there :) we get bread, pasta, granola, dog bones and maple syrup there on occasion! I love it because what I spend on fruits and veggies at the farmers market would cost me double or even triple at the grocery store! :)
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hutterite veggies, fruits driven in from BC, and I always check out the snacky items to see if anything will fit into what I eat (no dairy, no sweeteners, no processed foods)... Sometimes I find unsweetened jams and last time I went I found a vegan organic chocolate spread.

Ooh, elk jerky. My friend always buys it and ends up giving me a piece. That stuff is GOOD.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    We get 95% of our eggs and meat from a local farmer and we order from him through the farmer's market. Otherwise, I get what's in season. Last week I got potatoes, acorn squash, and kale.
  • olerolls
    olerolls Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    We have a ton of farmers' markets in the Portland area. We do about 75% of our shopping at them in the summer & fall. We buy a lot of stuff there - all fruits and vegetables (whatever is in season), most of our meats, all our eggs, cheeses, local raw honey... the list goes on and on. Basically, anything we can buy direct from farmers instead of at the store, we do. A couple of our local markets also are carrying on through the winter (though going to every other week) and I'm excited about that. We'll still buy our meats, eggs, honey, cheeses, and winter produce there instead of the store.
  • mynameismita
    Options
    Every type of squash I can find! I also tend to buy anything I can't recognize. This has led to discoveries like dragonfruit, starfruit, tanniers, chayotes, ostrich & emu eggs, turban squash and even coagulated pig's blood.
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I also load up on squash,they last fast over....sweet potatoes, lettuce, green beans, cabbage, broccoli, carrots....peppers.

I go almost every weekend until it's done. It's where we get most of our vegetables from. Though it sucked for fruits this year, dunno what happened but we have had nada! I was hoping it would get better with apple season....but nope! So I've been stuck getting those from the grocery store. boo.
  • GayleProbe
    Options
    I'm actually going to our Farmers Market (Buffalo) for the first time this Saturday! I'm really excited! I just hope it's not too expensive!
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I find the farmer's market is actually cheap and the sizes are bigger than what you can buy at the store.
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I plan meals with my husband, then I go off to the farmer's market and get everything on the list that I can from there, then go to grocer for the rest.
  • mclarkin75
    mclarkin75 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Veggies, fruit, kale, bee pollen, quinoa, ground flax, spices(salt free mixes eg. Taco)
    Garlic and more! I :heart: the Farmers market. I love that everything is local and most of it is organic.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I get everything that looks good. You can freeze a lot (like avocados and tomatoes).
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    the one i go to has the best kale! and asparagus! and peaches! and grass fed beef! and lots of other things.

and snow cones!
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Ours is tiny, so I try to buy at least a little something from every table. It varies substantially, but this weekend I got honey, sourdough bread, tomatoes (LOTS, mostly heirloom), beet greens, garlic, zucchini, carrots, and purslane. I had never had purslane before, which is one of my favorite parts of the farmer's market - getting unusual ingredients.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I plan meals with my husband, then I go off to the farmer's market and get everything on the list that I can from there, then go to grocer for the rest.

We do the opposite - buy whatever looks good, then go home and build a menu around it :).
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Ours just ended for the summer, September 30th (small town, so we don't have a year-round market). I like to get big, fresh butter tarts from the "butter tart lady". She also makes some great breads, and always has a line-up. On Canada Day, she says she sold 1000 butter tarts... and I believe her! The woman fills several of those wide, low rubbermaid-type containers (like the ones designed to store under a bed) with these butter tarts. I'm thankful that she'll be back for 3 weekends prior to Christmas, for the smaller winter market. It would only make economic sense for her to make her butter tarts (which are even more popular as a Christmas goody) available during that time. She told me that she can take advance orders for a dozen or two, for people after a bunch of them.

I also get lettuce, squash (I have a couple of the Red October variety, waiting to be used), organic honey, apple cider, probiotic low-sugar soda from the SodaWorks gal (she has interesting, subtle flavours, sweetened with apple and pear juice. 500 ml is only about 60 calories, and because it's probiotic... it recarbonates itself more if you twist the cap closed again and keep it in the fridge for awhile). I also sometimes get fudge from the local fudge makers, homemade perogies from the Ukrainian family whose business is nothing but, and various scented goodies from the essential oils girl.