Make me a list! A "must have" for my pantry list

Options
Starting with Spagetti Squash? Never heard of it before but apparently its amazing. New Zealand is so far behind the 8 ball for low cal foods I'm on the hunt. GIMME SOME NAMES AND BRANDS SO I CAN SEARCH THEM OUT!

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Spagetti Squash? Where in NZ are you - have you tried speciality health shops? I just googled it and there doesn't seem to be anything here in NZ.
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm in Christchurch. I know we have two (Piko Wholefoods and Liberty Market) that are still standing and in operation. I'm planning a trip to see them but want to take a list of low cal foods or substitutes that other people use and find helpful
  • msmarieann
    Options
    Starting with Spagetti Squash? Never heard of it before but apparently its amazing. New Zealand is so far behind the 8 ball for low cal foods I'm on the hunt. GIMME SOME NAMES AND BRANDS SO I CAN SEARCH THEM OUT!

Well, personally I think you need to have =:

ground almonds (you can use it to bread things with)
    agave nectar (it's a low GI sweetener that's all natural but without the horrible taste of stevia)
    Coconut sap sugar (low GI Sweetener, all natural, doesn't taste like *kitten* and it's a good substitute for brown sugar)
    cauliflower (you can make pizza crust with it, a tasty sub for mashed potatoes)
    hummus + baby carrots (killer go to snack)
    Quinoa (it's got some carbs to it, but it also has a lot of protein. you can use it instead of rice, in soups, you can make a sort of porridge with it)
    Avocados & Bananas (high in calories, but packed with good fats and vital nutrients)
    Meal replacement shake powder (I add a touch to my morning smoothies to give me a nutritional punch!)
    instant coffee (make a greek frappe with it, coconut sap sugar, ice and almond milk and you won't miss starbucks)
    Almond Milk (dairy doesn't agree with me, but almond milk is the perfect substitute. unsweetened.)
    Roasted Seaweed (low cal, high in vitamin A and dietary fibre. It's a great snack. Tao Kae Noi is a naughty Thai brand that comes in lots of tasty flavours)
    Protein Bars (i keep one in my purse in case I get hangry. a bite or two can keep me in check or a full one is a meal sub on the go)
    Ground Flax (add it to anything for fibre and essential fatty acids)
    More will come to me as I go along. I promise. LOL
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    OOOhhh sounds good!!

How do you make pizza crust from cauli?! It's a whole new world out there!

Also, is there a substitution for pasta? Like a low cal spaghetti or something? I love pad thai but it's so high!
  • msmarieann
    Options
    Zucchini might not be ideal for pad thai. But, I think in that case, it might be easier if you make the dish from scratch then have half a serving.

You just shave off the zucchini with a vegetable peeler and it makes noodles. Check out my blog for my dinner from last night.

Re: Cauliflower - YEAH I KNOW RIGHT! It's apparently good. I have to give it a try still. But, there's a lot of magical things that you can do out there with veg. I'm going to make the cauliflower pizza maybe on Friday night. I'll take pics (as always) for my blog.

m
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Greek Style plain yogurt
    steel cut oatmeal
  • misssarah_
    Options
    What the feck is spaghetti squash?
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    lots and lots of
    protein powder!
    eggs,
    peanut butter,
    hummus,
    mini candy bars (1 each night for sweet tooth)
    arizona tea sticks
    pistachios
    strawberries
    extreem thin sliced cheese (1 slice for cravings)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Bump, I definitely need this list too
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    What the feck is spaghetti squash?

It's basically squash cut up into noodly weirdness.

As for my must haves, they are pretty simple:

Carnivor protein powder
    Quest Protein bars

Everything else is expendable to me...well, except for all of the meat in the fridge, but you specifically asked for pantry. :)