A quick rant!

Options
Hello!

I do not post often but i do peruse the posts daily to see how others out there are doing and make the occasional comment. I just want to put a thought out and it is that i am thoroughly upset over the past 3-4 posts that i have read....

People are putting themselves out there folks. We ALL have our shortcomings and we are all battling with weight loss whether it is hundreds of pounds or just a few. NO ONE IS EXEMPT and no one has the right to belittle or say negative things about what others post.

What works for one or what one person finds helpful and motivational may not be the same for another and i am completely disheartened by the amount of folks out their that respond to posts with negativity.

We are all working hard people, just because a questionnaire, a dieting technique or even a general question doesn't work for you or you find it silly, doesn't mean that you should respond with negativity. Either DON'T respond at all or put a POSITIVE spin on it.

Shame on you all!

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I'd hate to hurt anybody's feelings, but I'm also aware that every once in awhile somebody needs a good swift kick in the butt to get off the bench and into the game. I've only been here 2 weeks and already notice that the same tired old excuses come up over and over and over and ....

Bottom line - don't censor when it's me. I need to know the good, the bad, and the ugly.
  • Angelina3894
    Angelina3894 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh i agree....but there is a difference between motivation (aka, the good swift kick in the butt) and when someone posts "this is silly" or "taking that questionnaire was a waste of time"...yes, it might not have been helpful for that person but it was helpful enough for someone else that they shared it so that others might get a benefit. don't be hurtful.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    This is silly.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    sometimes things are just stupid and really don't need a positive spin
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Either DON'T respond at all or put a POSITIVE spin on it.

Shame on you all!

Why? If you see a post whereby the OP is contemplating something that is either useless or potentially dangerous the choices are either "way to go" or silence?? While some members may be less diplomatic than they could be at times (and yes, we do have trolls) disagreeing doesn't make someone a meanie.

How about.....shame on the sycophants.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    sadly sometimes the truth hurts.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    why is there an add for shoedazzle on my page for knee high boots for 39.99 when ive never shopped at shoedazzle or for knee high boots
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between truthful and helpful and truthful and hurtful/ mean-spirited. Yes, the truth does hurt at times, but that doesn't mean you have to twist the knife after you've stuck it in.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Awww...somebody must have run over your unicorn...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmL_al-nBS9q-cE-S6x3tRd2B7U28ZPcJY-YJOEcr8tQmWVSa-DBUdHfaT
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Don't take life soooo seriously, its all for fun.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh i love knee high boots.....
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It's a message board on an open forum... people have the right to say whatever they want! If you don't like it, then it is up to you to ignore it.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Either DON'T respond at all or put a POSITIVE spin on it.

Shame on you all!

Why? If you see a post whereby the OP is contemplating something that is either useless or potentially dangerous the choices are either "way to go" or silence?? While some members may be less diplomatic than they could be at times (and yes, we do have trolls) disagreeing doesn't make someone a meanie.

How about.....shame on the sycophants.

[swoon] You had me at your use of the word sycophants.

I generally only dislike people who post rants. No offense to the OP, but rants basically only come in 2 flavors: 1) I hate [fill in the blank] and I want you all to agree with me so I feel superior; or 2) I want to police what everyone else is doing when I should really be minding my own beeswax.

I get it, "say something nice or say nothing at all" but no one learns or accomplishes much when you're only surrounded by "YES!" men.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If people would realize this is a public forum on the internet with self made experts and a bajillion different opinions and didn't wear their emotions on their keyboard, then they wouldn't get "hurt" by someone stating their opinion.

You can polish a turd, but in the end, it's still a turd.

AND....

You CAN'T fix stupid.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You're not allowed to put me on "ignore". You don't have the right.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You can polish a turd, but in the end, it's still a turd.

Really shiny turds are the best!
  • steviedrew1967
    Options
    i'm with cmcollins001 and gauchogirl!
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between truthful and helpful and truthful and hurtful/ mean-spirited. Yes, the truth does hurt at times, but that doesn't mean you have to twist the knife after you've stuck it in.

Very well said!
  • lioness0806
    lioness0806 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I completely agree!

One of my news posts last week was about the same thing. All I wanted was some help, but with that I got a negative comment and no helpful comment to go with it.