Length of Time Exercising

Options
I am 40 years old, 5' 9", weight 247 lbs and 32.2% body fat. My target is 170 lbs / 16 % body fat.

Currently I fit my workouts (30 Day Shred) in during my lunch hour with some additional cardio on some evenings. The length of time for either of these activities is 25 to 45 minutes with an average burn of 200 calories doing the Shred and 300 calories doing the cardio (Recumbent Bike). So at least 3 or 4 out of 7 days I would be burning 500 calories with a minimum of 200 on the other days.

Is my schedule right now suitable for losing weight/getting in shape or am I not exercising long enough? Is there a minimum amount of time that should be adhered to, such as an hour? Or a minimum number of calories at a time for best results?

Replies

• doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what you can and what is enjoyable to you. Your routine sounds good. I think the minimum is 20 minutes. I say go as long as you can go.

I think Shred has weight/cardio type exercises, which is fantastic, but maybe you would want to add a day or two of weight training? Men seem to really benefit from that (women do too, but men seem to really drop weight easily while weight training).
  • cmuggridge
    cmuggridge Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am considering doing the 30 Day Shred as many days as I can and add weight training on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with the cardio on the rest.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps you eat a reasonable amount while maintaining a calorie deficit and improves health and maitians lean muscle mass. It is not nessesary for weight loss but is for optimum body composition and health. There is no amount you need to do. Adding in the weight training is probably the single most beneficial thing your can do to maintain lean muscle mass.
  • W2obx
    W2obx Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would agree with mmapags, calorie counting is really the key to weight lose. Excersie will help tone your body as you drop the pounds plus build muscle which will burn more calories. Additionally, exercise will keep you healthy often preventing heart disease and other illnesses brought on by being overweight. The part I hate about exercising is how hungry it makes me it makes it harder to watch those calories when you just want to eat.

My opinion on exercising is do what you can don't over do it because it will only make you dread working out or even cause injury.

Good luck...