Former College Athlete With A Lot To Lose...

Options
So I was an offensive lineman and rugby player. My football/rugby weight was about 275-280 (with my frame, that's actually not so bad. I am a rather big guy) but later started running 6 to 10 miles a day, eating nearly perfectly, and managed to get to a 6-pack-having 240 lbs (that's what I weighed in my profile pic).

I had some injury problems, started eating poorly, became embarrassed to workout in front of others because I wasn't in the condition I was accustomed to being, and things snowballed. Over a 9 year period, I went from around 240 to a high of 434. I have destroyed pictures, avoided mirrors, showered in the dark, avoided socializing, and I have really let it affect my life.

I finally knew i had to get serious about it. I reminded myself that I was the one who made myself fat and I am the only person who can do anything to change it. Another motivator is REALLY not wanting to have any kind of weight loss surgery. I know a number of people who have had them. Many of them have lingering health problems, can't enjoy the things they used to (even in moderation), and they are a mess. I really want to be able to be the same person I am now and I don't like the idea of a surgeon messing with my digestive system.

Anyway, I've been hitting the elliptical pretty hard. At this point, depending on the duration, I am burning between 1165 and 1550 calories per workout. I even try to manage 1 or 2 days of 2-a-day workouts per week when I can. When I drop another 20-25 lbs, I plan to get serious again about lifting weights.

I started using MyFitnessPal on my iPhone on June 1, 2012. As of October 5, 2012, I am down 53 lbs (381) with a final goal weight of 245 (about what I weighed in my profile picture). One thing that has changed is that I no longer say "if I can get to my goal weight..." I now say "WHEN I get to my goal weight..."

Scott

Replies

• HuskyMan3
    HuskyMan3 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I am a former college football player as well. But I was a kicker and at one time I was skinny, but time has caught up with me since I was in college. Anyone can add me if they wish
  • kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hey Scott,

Gotta say, I love your attitude. It sounds like you're really in this for the long haul, and I can tell you've got the work ethic to get exactly where you want to be.

It looks like you're on the right path. I say good call waiting a little bit to start strength training, but don't wait too long. There's no reason you can't get strong and lose weight at the same time.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions along the way, brother!
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Inspiring stuff, amazing loss, and courageous of you to come out with all the details of your struggles. It must make your progress all the more satisfying.

I have to say I am liking MFP - it encourages me to stay with it and the friends thing has been helpful in feeling like I'm not alone on this path of getting and staying healthy.

Continued good luck on your journey!
  • aliciarose511
    aliciarose511 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow, that must be some elipitical workout! It must be something to see!

Congrats on getting back on track!
  • 23dragon
    Options
    What an amazing story and great progress. I am currently as big as I ever have been, just working on losing what I can while I can. I need to get more consistent with my cardio and introduce weights as well. Congrats!
  • jagspal
    jagspal Posts: 75
    Options
    Amazing attitude! Keep up the good work!