Good workout for those with herniated disc?

Options
Hey :)
I'm trying to get my husband on board with getting fit, and he's determined that because he has a herniated lower disc, he can't do stretches/Squats, etc.

Any suggestions? He says he would try P90x, but I'm afraid he'd hurt himself. :C

Replies

• EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Bump

(I have an old thoracic spinal injury with bone spurs and exercising hurts if I don't focus on posture or baby it)
  • mets86champs
    mets86champs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 years old, with a repaired left knee and a very bad lower back. I completed P90X classic last fall and I'm currently on day 45 of 90 for my second round of P90X. I credit doing P90X with saving me from having back surgery last year. The weight loss, stronger core and especially Yoga are the reasons.

Everyone's back pain is different. The more I stretch and strengthen my core the better it gets.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    if he has a herniated disk, perhaps he can get a referral to Physical Therapy. There are many treatments to fix that. I have helped to administer quite a few.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    How about water aerobics? Low impact and you are supported by the water.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have three bulging discs in my neck. I find that low impact activities such as walking, cycling or elliptical work well, as long as I don't overdo it. I have yet to find a weight routine that doesn't put strain on my neck. I can do lower body weight machines, but I can't do anything where I have to hold weights in my hands. Yoga and pilates are also good, as long as he starts slowly.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    if he has a herniated disk, perhaps he can get a referral to Physical Therapy. There are many treatments to fix that. I have helped to administer quite a few.

His current Doctor recommended shots in his back, which he's gotten 4 of since he found the disc, but neither of us are happy about constantly going back to get the shots (about once every 9mo). I will DEFINITELY check into Physical Therapy! Its a brilliant idea, because perhaps it will get him a little more limber then he is now. He can't barely lift his leg because the disc that is herniated, presses up against is sciatic nerve.