I did it! 40lbs in 1 year with pics!

Options
Hey everyone! Let me first say that you all for your support!

I'm not a fan of the long drawn out story, so I'll keep it basic. But if you all have questions feel free to message me.

So my workout consists of mostly weight training with a moderate amount of cardio. I eat as healthy as I can, but when I can't I don't flip out about it. I just compensate for it at my next meal or opportunity.

I didn't follow any particular diet. Diets didn't work for me because they are too restrictive. I wanted this to be a lifestyle change, not just a quick weight loss phase this time around (lost 41 quick in 2009 just to gain it all back plus 40lbs by 2011!). So what I do is eat as healthy as possible as often as possible. i moderate, not restrict. If I want it, I eat a small portion, and then I make sure I eat healthy the rest of the day. i usually plan my treats or not- so- healthy meals. That way I can encourage myself to eat healthy before and after the goodie.

I work out daily: 30min to and hour Zumba, 15 to 20 minutes for abs and 1 1/2 to 2 hours weight training. More imporant to me than losing lots of weight is losing lots of inches. I learned weight training gives me the results I require to achieve this goal.

I've taken the time to get to know my body and learn what it takes to achieve and mantain my weight loss goals. I've learned that I cant totally cut out anything. my body doesnt react well to deficiences. i think it's important to learn what your body needs and not just follow a random diet. it's suposed to be a lifestyle change. Are you going to eat like that forever? no? then why even start.

My next step is to continue losing inches to finish flattening my stomach and tone my muscles all over. I also encourage you all to take your time. I want to also thank God for the help and strength I've recieved along this journey. I wish good luck to you all and encourage you to keep striving for your goals. message me anytime!

Ok, Ok enough of the chatter:wink: Let's get to the pictures!!!

1bandafront.jpg
1bandaside.jpg
1bandaback.jpg

Replies

• unicorn1081
    unicorn1081 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ha I forgot to tell you guys, I lost 12 inches of my stomach too!:drinker:
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look GREAT! I love the big smile, too. Thank you for sharing your story and pictures to inspire the rest of us!
  • not_alone
    not_alone Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ha I forgot to tell you guys, I lost 12 inches of my stomach too!:drinker:

At that rate of loss, you are much more likey to keep it off long term! Great example for me and the rest of us. Thanks for being so open about your health plan!
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    GFU!! Feels good to see the results of yo0ur efforts huh? Your heart thanks you too! :drinker:
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Great results lady!!! Glad you have kept it up!!

You rock!!
  • IrshRnr56
    IrshRnr56 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You look great!! I like that you went for the lifestyle change instead of dieting.
    What kind of weight training did you do for abs? I have had 5 kids and my weight is in my belly. I run and do yoga, like both. Congrats and let us know about your ab workouts with weights.
  • lexusgirl1
    Options
    I'm similar weight, thanks for motivating me, u look so happy and healthy.
  • conure2
    conure2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Very Inspiring!
  • Goldenera
    Goldenera Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Absolutely amazing! Good for you and it is inspiring to see that you did it slowly but surely.
  • evmoses
    evmoses Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    WOW! GREAT JOB!
  • unicorn1081
    Options
    You look great!! I like that you went for the lifestyle change instead of dieting.
    What kind of weight training did you do for abs? I have had 5 kids and my weight is in my belly. I run and do yoga, like both. Congrats and let us know about your ab workouts with weights.

Well I like the ab bench and ab machines. I can't do crunches because of back issues so i use the ab bench alot to support my head and neck. for obliques I use a free weight and do side crunches. My favorite ab workout though is on youtube. it's called "12 Minute Standing Up Abs - Lets Kick those ABS into shape". it's awesome and really wittles away the stomach fat and obliques. I like to change my workouts around all the time to encourage muscle confusion. it's worked well for me.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You look great, nice to see hard work has paid off!!
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Nice work! You look great!
  • IrshRnr56
    IrshRnr56 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the youtube workout suggestion. I'll definitely check it out. Having a lifetime of back sloping forward too much, I'm unable to do crunches but standing ABs I could try. I need to join a gym for the AB machine.
  • unicorn1081
    Options
    You guys, I had someone ask me this: I do lots of cardio but my biggest struggle is the weight training and to keep myself motivated and not bored while doing it. What did you do?? I noticed you did it for 1-2 hours! i can barely do 30 minutes.

After I finished typing my response, I decided that I wanted to share this info with all of you. I hope it helps. when I changed from just boring repetitive sets to this, I lost 9lbs that month and 4inches off my stomach:drinker: . so it definitely worked for me. remember though, that everyone is different. that's why i say learn your body and what it takes to get it where you need it to be. try different proven methods and develop your own from what works for you. here is my response:

i listen to music. also, I dont stop other than about a min or 2 between exercises. I curcuit train. that is when you do two exercises working the same area at the same time. for example: to work my abs, I use the ab machine at my gym and a free weight. I do my set ( whatever i decide it is that day) on the ab machine, and then I get up immediately and do side crunches for my obliques. after I finish my oblique set, I go right back to my machine sets. I do this 3 times per muscle group i'm working that day. another example is my arms. I work my biceps on the machine and my triceps with the free weights in the same 3 set rotation I mentioned. then I change and work my biceps with the weight and my triceps with the machine. this is one of the ways i change up my routine to keep it challenging and interesting and to encourage muscle confusion. also, I change something about my routine everyday. on some exercises i increase the weight by 5lbs and try to get to 3 sets of 15 reps. when I can, I move up. I try different ways to work my muscles. even if it's something i don't really want to try, as long as it doesnt hurt or feel uncomfortable, I give it a try. you never know, it my be just the exercise you need to add to you regimen. So try and change things up as often as possible. DONT OVERDO IT. go at a reasonable pace, but when you feel stronger, challenge yourself to go one step further. you may ache sometimes, but the week after, when your muscles have adjusted and the inches are starting to strink, you will be so proud of yourself and determined to do more.

I wish you all again good luck! feel free to message me anytime.:flowerforyou:
  • jc86
    jc86 Posts: 151
    Options
    Amazing job!!
  • blackbutterfly318
    blackbutterfly318 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! You should really be sooo proud of yourself!! :happy:
  • JohnnyBLean
    JohnnyBLean Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You look marvelous! Congratulations to you on an awesome job.
  • Bigjayinga
    Bigjayinga Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Looking good young lady. Great job. Congrats on your lifestyle change
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You look gorgeous!! Very inspirational!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!