Lost 53lbs but......

Options
Hey people.
I have lost 53lbs since being on this site. The only thing that has confused me a bit is the fact that i have only gone from a uksize 24 to a uksize20 and i have lost that much. What is wrong with me ??
Im so confused right now. I just want to be a uksize 12 but only going down two dresses sizes compared to some people loosing the same amount and going down 4 or 5 its so annoying. Guess i have to keep pushing still want to loose another 80lbs but still want the dress size to go down quicker. Thanks :)

Replies

• gemstone29
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with you, dress sizes are tricky things, for starters they vary from store to store because shops use them as a form of marketing (think about it, you try on one dress in one store and then one dress in another, the second one is a smaller size on the tag but a bit more exensive, you will probably buy it though because emotionally you feel better about it).
    Also wight loss is not always directly proportional to clothing size, you can't control where the weight comes off, and it comes off everyone differently.
    Going down four dress sizes is an amazing acheivement, you will get there just dont give up! :smile:
  • LuridDreamer
    LuridDreamer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Exactly what gemstone said. The extra weight could be coming off in places that would have no bearing on your dress size. Also, ignore whatever the tag says and instead look at yourself and realize how far you've come in your journey. :heart:
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Two dress sizes is totally an amazing achievement!
    I read somewhere that it usually takes about a 10lb loss to equal losing a dress size, but in practice I found that to be way off!
    I've lost 17lbs so far, and dropped one dress size... but am still not completely comfortable in the smaller size! I definitely can't do jeans in that size yet!

You're doing great, so keep going and you'll get there I promise! Take photos and measurements once a month, and you'll be able to see the visible progress you are making, even if the clothes size doesn't change much for the moment.
  • Spindrift2012
    Spindrift2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've lost 33lb so far. Some clothes still seem to fit the same. Others have dropped a size. My UK size 16 jeans that I bought recently are now loose but other clothese aren't. It all depends on the sizing in the shop and the way that you carry your weight. My is more around my tummy so that is hard to shift and means that some clothes still look awful because of the way they are cut. You will find that suddenly you'll need to go down a size.

I'm doing 30 Day Shred which is helping to pull my tummy in. I haven't lost much weight on it so far but I had to put a belt on my trousers the other day for the first time so its obviously changing my shape.

You'll get there eventually and having lost 53lb is a great achievement so don't start feeling down about it.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I no longer trust the manufacturers; last autumn I bought a pair of M&S jeans and loved them. Went back the following week and bought a second, identical pair, but put them away and didn't try them on (thought I didn't need to tbh). When I did go to wear them was pretty shocked to find that I really struggled to get them on and done up!!! The inconsistency in sizing is unbelievable, and that's before you go to different retailers. I can wear clothes from one shop, but not another.

Try not to get disheartened, maybe try a few different shops, but don't get hung on label sizes. You know how much healthier you are as a result of your weight loss, and that's what matters.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest, I had to lose a wider range of pounds to move a size and found that the less I weighed and closer to goal, the less amount it take to move a size. Hope I worded that so it make sense.

Now at near goal, it only take five pounds to move a size for me. At my heaviest, almost twenty pounds to go down a size.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    For me it took 20 pounds for me to lose a size at first. However, I've been losing weight very slowly since the first 60 pounds. For instance, I'm now in a smaller size than I was this time last year, though I'm around the same weight. Every body is different. Just make sure you are eating well and including some type of resistance/strength training if you work out, rather than only cardio. That way you will keep your lean muscle and shapeliness.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It takes me way longer to lose that first dress size. Also, are you exercising? If not start now and you will see your body change! :)
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi thats great news, I know what you are saying, I have lost 2 stones so far and I can really tell the difference. However, like everyone else has been saying, it depends on where you shop. Be proud of what you have achieved
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with the UK sizes. I've lost 70 pounds and have gone from a US20 to a US12 (almost into a 10).

But you might have lost some muscle which does not take up as much space in your body as fat does. So... Make sure you are getting plenty of protein. Google "protein calculator" and you should be able to find a site that will caculate how much protein you should be getting for your sex/height/weight and set your MFP settings appropriately. Then, exercise - mixing cardio and strength training. I exercise 4-6 days a week for at least an hour at a time. And, I'm always mixing things up and doing new things - always changing so my muscles are confused, which is a good thing.

Good luck and have fun!
    Roni
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Don't give up you're doing great!! I noticed for me, 20 pounds equals a pants size. When I lost weight before, I went from a size 18 to 16 when I lost 20 pounds and then when I hit the 30 pound lost mark, the size 16 was starting to feel loose. Now I'm back up to a size 18 since the pregnancy. 20 pounds is a rough estimate though because it also depends on where you lose the wieght. For me, I lose first in my face, arms, and upper body before I'll lose in my hips and thighs. Because of this, I'll see my shirt size come down faster than my pants size; whereas, someone who loses in their hips and thighs more easily than their upper body may find the opposite to be true.

Because of this, I have a hard time shopping for dresses. I usually have to go with 2 pieces-top and skirt. When it fits in the hip area, it's too loose up top. When it fits up top, the dress won't fit around my hips...it's a vicious cycle.

Don't give up!! You losing weight gives me inspiration to do the same! :flowerforyou:
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Sizing in any store in any country is a crock o *&%#. Stores are now making "vanity" sizes and just makes finding the correct size insane. Heck wedding dress sizes are ALWAYS 2 sizes bigger than what you "wear in normal pants" as they tell you. Can we say IN CAHOOTS with the effing dieting people?! Sorry to get distracted.

You have lost 2 sizes and that is amazing. You will lose more weight and drop again. Don't rush it. Everyone is different. Take me for example. I have been at this for a year, claims I have only lost 7 pounds but I have clothes that don't fit the same as opposed to last year, in a good way. My "flat tire" or Love handles are smaller, not where I want them but they are smaller, as is my stomach. Not where I want to be but I can see I have lost weight in certain places. My legs are much slimmer and my face is as well. My waist is smaller as is the flat tire sitting on my hips but that is the slowest to come off.

It will happen and don't focus on the number in the pants, heck don't focus on the number on the scale. Focus on eating right and exercising to get you to that final goal. It will happen.
  • voliver77
    voliver77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight before and I discovered that I had to lose LOADS to get from 20 to 18 but then a little bit less from 18 to 16. The 10 pounds per size rule only works if you Only have a small percentage of total weight to lose, so it's true when down at the 12 10 8 end. So you will not have to lose as much to get to the next size. :)
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else, it really is hit and miss with a lot of stores, sizing can be all over the place. I'm in the UK also and found that to go from a size 24 (my highest) to a size 20 took nearly 3 months and 36lbs. Then I went from a size 20 to an 18 pretty quickly (currently in the size 18). I think it is true that the first size or two takes a long time but after that it speeds up a little.

Hang in there, be proud of what you've achieved so far (amazing!!!!) and stay motivated...you will get there :-)
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Once you get down to around a size 16-18, the sizes seem to drop a lot faster. I've lost 85 pounds and only dropped 3 sizes so far.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    One other thing that may be a factor is how were your clothes really fitting you before you started losing weight? I know for me I will wear the same clothes until they are just way too tight when I'm gaining weight (you know, cause I'm going to start loosing it soon) and then don't want to get new clothes when I'm losing weight until they are falling off of me. But when I try on new jeans or whatever, I buy what actually fits, not the smallest thing that I can squeeze into. So, if you are like that at all, you may have lost one more size that you aren't accounting for.
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi

Pleased don't be discouraged, keep going and it will happen. I've been doing this since Feb. Was a UK24 lower half and 22 on top.
    I'm down to a size 16 on top but only today (!) got into a size 20 trousers!
    My top half has lost way more inches than my bottom half but now it must be finally coming off my bum/hips. It all depends on your body shape.
    Just keep going and celebrate your fabulous success so far!!
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Don't give up you're doing great!! I noticed for me, 20 pounds equals a pants size. When I lost weight before, I went from a size 18 to 16 when I lost 20 pounds and then when I hit the 30 pound lost mark, the size 16 was starting to feel loose. Now I'm back up to a size 18 since the pregnancy. 20 pounds is a rough estimate though because it also depends on where you lose the wieght. For me, I lose first in my face, arms, and upper body before I'll lose in my hips and thighs. Because of this, I'll see my shirt size come down faster than my pants size; whereas, someone who loses in their hips and thighs more easily than their upper body may find the opposite to be true.

Because of this, I have a hard time shopping for dresses. I usually have to go with 2 pieces-top and skirt. When it fits in the hip area, it's too loose up top. When it fits up top, the dress won't fit around my hips...it's a vicious cycle.

Don't give up!! You losing weight gives me inspiration to do the same! :flowerforyou:

I agree! I'm smaller in pants but I still can't fit in a smaller size shirt with sleeves bc of these arms. They just don't seem to want to disappear. But you're doing fine! 53 pounds is a huge accomplishment! I can't wait to say the same!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so I don't know what kind of exercise you're doing and what types of food you eat. If you aren't doing any strength training, you probably should. Also, regardless of the calories, eating fatty foods instead of lean meats and lower fat options could be the culprit. Obviously sizes vary from brand to brand. I wear anywhere from a US 14 to a 20. I've lost 45 lbs and was wearing a 22 when I started this. Don't give up. :-)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Lot's of good responses/advice so far. I agree with all of it.

I will also add, that when I started losing weight, I had been in denial about my weight/size for so long I was probably wearing clothes that were a size too small because I wasn't willing to buy the next size up. Once I started getting my shape back, I started wearing my clothes a bit bigger to get a more flattering fit. So it is possible that you lost an additional "size" that you never wore to begin with, if you're at all like me lol.