I work in a bakery...

Options
I work as counter staff in a bakery that makes everything from sandwiches and soups to cakes and pies! We are encouraged to eat the food for "quality control" and so we know what to say when people ask if something's good. There was one week where I seriously felt forced to eat a cream puff 3 out of 5 days! (I did split one of them with a co-worker, but with my issues with portion control, it's usually easier to just say no from the beginning!)

Does anyone have any experience trying to lose weight when you're surrounded by calories 40 hours out of every week? It doesn't help that I don't really like my job, so by the time lunch rolls around, I'm not in a great mood.

Any support or recommendations appreciated!

Replies

• tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    No and I wouldn't trade places with you PASTRY is my WEAKNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I run a convenience store and I look at chocolate, chips, pastries, sandwiches and sodas 50+ hours a week. I'm pretty sure it's how I gained a good portion of what I have over the last 5 years. I'd especially snack when there was a slow time and since I don't get a lunch break, I would eat whenever I felt "hungry". What I do now is pack my lunch with a good variety of snacks and a sandwich so I have my choice.
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is cruel and unusual punishment if ever there was. You poor thing. All I can think of to say is there, there. I assume you are looking for other work? You've just got to get out of there. It's kind of funny but then not really. I couldn't handle it.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for you in that situation. That is a tough one.
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i spit the food out after i try it. that way you know what it tastes like, consistency etc. keep one small bite and swallow. feels like you ate the whole thing :)
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yup!! I work in a grocery store with a bakery, deli and restaurant in it. I feel for you. Between the donuts, chinese food, pizza and mashed potatoes I smell and work with all the time, it sometimes drives me crazy, but I keep moving and drinking water and tell those chocolate chip cookies beside me to just shut up when they scream my name. :) I also work part-time in a sort of fast food restaurant, or at least did for a couple months, until I couldn't stand it anymore.

Water really helps keep me from eating it, as does keeping moving and reminding myself of my goals and how I would feel if I gave in. "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips".

Edit to say: I almost always bring my lunch (a small sandwich and an apple) from home, too.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I teach ESL and around midterm, my students look awfully delicious...

JK. They do bring me delicious snacks from around the world, though, especially around finals week when they are still shooting for a few extra points. I'll tell you, Saudis can work some magic with almonds and sesame seeds. DANGER. SWEET, SWEET DANGER.

ETA I was thinking about Saudi pastries and forgot to say that I deal with it by eating some of them and leaving the rest on the counter in the teacher's building to share with my coworkers. I guess that wouldn't help much with OP's problem, though...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have my own cupcake business. I do not have issues with overindulging in my own baked goods. I taste a bit of cake batter and frosting, and take a taste of the finished cake. But that's it. Occasionally, I'll have one cupcake.

If I were in your position, I don't think I'd need to constantly try foods. Sandwiches are sandwiches, cream puffs are cream puffs. There shouldn't be much, if any, variation in flavor or quality. Once you've tasted one, you've tasted them all. You should be able to make recommendations to customers without trying these foods every single day. Bring your own healthy food for lunch and don't try the pastries. Problem solved.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I don't eat processed foods....I have a house full of Ding dongs, ice cream, candy bar, pudding, cake, cookies...and lots of other goodies. If I allow myself to eat them...I have no self control...and will go back for more. I just pass on all of it. I feel strong saying no! I also feel as if none of that junk makes me feel good after I have ate it. I feel great saying no, and seeing the scale move down!
    Nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels!!
  • storytelinor
    storytelinor Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the sympathy! It is funny, but people who aren't trying to lose weight just don't get it. To make matters worse, when I'm working the cupcake case, customers frequently say things like, "I don't know how you work here! I'd way 200 pounds!" um, wow. that's not insensitive at all!:grumble:

The spitting out is a good idea; I never thought of that - just treat it like a wine tasting!
  • storytelinor
    storytelinor Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Not really "problem solved" with my emotional eating habits - it's just not as simple as not doing it, if it was I wouldn't have this problem. And, since lunch is free at work, and I get just over min. wage, I can't really afford to bring a lunch. But the lunch isn't the problem - it's easy to make a salad or a bowl of oatmeal -it's the pack mentality of "try this!" that gets me.
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Not really "problem solved" with my emotional eating habits - it's just not as simple as not doing it, if it was I wouldn't have this problem. And, since lunch is free at work, and I get just over min. wage, I can't really afford to bring a lunch. But the lunch isn't the problem - it's easy to make a salad or a bowl of oatmeal -it's the pack mentality of "try this!" that gets me.

keep something with you at all times that you really like but is way lower calories than what you are eating at the bakery. a mini heath bar is 39 cal or take a tub of peanut butter and eat 1t of it... if you said "no thanks" and went to the things you brought instead maybe that would work
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Chew sugarless gum, so it takes thought and effort to take a bite of something else!
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I kinda know what you're going through. I worked in a AMAZING gelato store and we were always snacking on the gelato so we could tell customers how the ice cream was that day. Sure, I loved it but I gained weight. My suggestions to you are:

1. Bike/walk to work if you can
    2. Imagine something gross on the food that will turn you off: before you pick up that cream puff, imagine mustard replacing the cream. ew.
    3. Find out WHY you're picking up that food - are you stressed, bored, tired or anxious? There are usually feelings behind the move.
    4. Stay hydrated! Water will help curb those cravings and throw in a package of Crystal Light, yummm.
    5. Chew gum if you can do it discretely.

Good luck
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can calculate your calories to allow for one item every day?
    But if you are not happy with your job I hope you can find something that you like better soon!
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    All of these suggestions are good work-arounds of the problem but the main issue I think is that you crave, your body literally craves carbs because it is burning some and turning the rest into fat stores and then you're soon hungry again. Continually struggling with it is a lose situation every time because it will always wear you down. The only permanent solution is to break the craving cycle and that won't be easy in your situation. "Opportunity knocks once but temptation leans on the doorbell all day long." Even the strongest so-called will power can't fight those kinds of odds indefinitely. Your long-term health is much more important than giving in to peer pressure. If these co-worker/friends really care about you they will understand.