Low Carbers............I need some answers!!!

Options
Hi everyone! I have been doing low carb for about a month and a half. Finally decided to start Induction 4 days ago and do it right. Its going great!! I just need some people who are seasoned low carbers to tell me if your sodium and cholesterol levels are usually high or if I am just choosing the wrong foods!!! I know fat and cholesterol are not a bad thing on Atkins, as your body uses them for fuel instead of carbs but I am still shocked some days at my #'s! Please advise!!! Add me if you are adding friends!! Thanks!!

Replies

• supbanana
    supbanana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm following the ketogenic diet (7 months in) and it's generally recommended that your diet is ~65% fat, ~30% protein, and 5% carbs. Some people even do short term 'fat fasts' and up their fat intake to 90%. As long as you're hitting the 65/30/5 you should be good to go. :)
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm following the ketogenic diet (7 months in) and it's generally recommended that your diet is ~65% fat, ~30% protein, and 5% carbs. Some people even do short term 'fat fasts' and up their fat intake to 90%. As long as you're hitting the 65/30/5 you should be good to go. :)
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Did you lose all the weight you have lost in seven months?
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i'm not really following any one plan. I keep my carbs low because I'm diabetic. I usually have high sodium and high fat. I'm losing!! I take a little from this plan, and a little from that plan and figured out what worked for me. Good luck!!
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can certainly go lower in sodium. Check your bacon labels and items which are high in sodium like pickles, that you can swap for something else to balance out a day (or add in more salt if you're low), or find a lower sodium version.

A lot of seasoning contains salt for no reason other than padding, so you use lots to get more spice. I can't see cholesterol in your diary, but check for high items in your day and work out if all items like that are so high, or just this brand/recipe.
  • supbanana
    supbanana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Did you lose all the weight you have lost in seven months?

Nope... my journey is a little complicated. I lost the first 30 pounds two years ago (almost three years now, actually). I started in January of 2010 and lost the 30 pounds in ~3 months, and then couldn't lose another pound for two years despite trying incredibly hard. I started the keto diet in March and have lost 60 since then. My weight loss trend is to stall for several weeks and then drop ~10 pounds in like three days, then stall for several weeks and drop 10 pounds... rinse, lather, repeat. ;) Shoot, as long as it drops at all, I'm happy.