New, someone rope me in?

Options
I wasn't impressed by this site by my now separated wife, but feel I should give it a shot now for a new me, but don't know how to get started when you're a terrible cook, hate exercising, and eat out all the time. I'm 210 and 5"10 male, so I'm right at the entry level to obese. I've been as light as 160 when I was in college eating nothing. Then I got stuffed by good cooking from the wife and never looked back. That option is now gone, so its either bad food, or bad cooking from me, or something else.

I'm setting aside an hour every other day for exercise, and 30 minutes every other day on top of that to do prep work and be ready for meals and exercise. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks
-aveekdatta

Replies

• skinnyjean4me
    skinnyjean4me Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    First you have to want this. You really have to set your mind that your going to do this and be successful at it. Set small goals for youself and work to achieve. Take a cooking class to get you started on the "bad cook" area. Salads are a great way to start you off and all you have to do is add chicken for protein. Pan fried chicken is easy. I just put in a boneless skinless chicken breast with a little bit of water and put a lid on it and cook it till its done, cut it up and add it to the salad. Feel free to add me if you want and always look on this site for more great healthy recipes! Good luck!
  • AAIKI777
    Options
    I'm sure you can meet you goals , I'm new here too and I'm hoping to put it to good work
  • healthyCAL
    healthyCAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Its not easy to lose weight if you don't cook your own meals. Its important to start simply. Adding fresh fruits and veggies to your diet. You don't even have to cook those! There are lots of recipes online that can help you get started. Skinnytastes.com is one of my favorites. Most important is portion control. Get yourself a digital food scale and accurately enter all you eat into your MFP journal. Next start to move more. Keep coming here for support and advice. Good luck!
  • alecsg21
    alecsg21 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I honestly get lazy!!!!!!!!!!! My cousin has been begging me to do the herbalife diet...but I would do it for a day or 2 and drop it. I finally joined a biggest loser challenge at work ($350 on the line!)...apperantly money talks!!! LOL!!!

Anyway, here's what I've done...

A.M. - Shake (w/supplement pills)
    A.M. Snack- a piece of fruit (usually apples, I feel they keep me the fullest longer)
    P.M lunch: grilled chicken and mixed veggies (both from the frozen section at the grocery store) plus salad (no dressing)
    Dinner: Shake (w/supplement pills)

It's super easy!!!!!!!!!!! I've been doing this for more than 3 weeks now and have lost a total of 10 lbs!

Good luck!
  • chrisenos
    chrisenos Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Its not easy to lose weight if you don't cook your own meals. Its important to start simply. Adding fresh fruits and veggies to your diet. You don't even have to cook those! There are lots of recipes online that can help you get started. Skinnytastes.com is one of my favorites. Most important is portion control. Get yourself a digital food scale and accurately enter all you eat into your MFP journal. Next start to move more. Keep coming here for support and advice. Good luck!

Thanks for the website suggestion. I went to check out it and looks like a good site for ideas. (Drop the s from the end it's actually http://skinnytaste.com)