always tastes better when momma makes it

Options
Personally my moms not a good cook. But still everyone hasca food that just isn't the same if your mom didn't make it. Mine are

1. Sweet tea
2. Grilled cheese sandwich
3. Eggs..I hate eggs otherwise
4. Thanksgiving stuffing

So what foods are your moms specialties? (Or dad grandma great aunt husband whoever)

Replies

• emilygh1974
    emilygh1974 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Any sandwich, and crock pot roast
  • Taimarra
    Options
    My mother is an amazing cook ... but we both agree that I make her recipes better than she does.

My grandmother, on the other hand, made the only apple pie I have ever eaten (and enjoyed.) Sadly, she took whatever her amazing secret was with her when she passed and none of us have been able to replicate it :(
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to duplicate my Mammy's pot roast, cooked in a dutch oven. Or chocolate meringue pie. Or coconut pie.
    I'm getting close to duplicating my Daddy's old-fashioned fudge, but I'm not quite there yet.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    Mmm you reminded me grandmas chocolate pie, yum
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My mother used to make something called thickened potatoes, which is potatoes boiled in some kind of sauce that includes milk and corn meal. Sounds strange, but it was the ultimate comfort food.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    1. Meatballs
    2. Thanksgiving stuffing
    3. Gravy
    4. Soup
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Her warm potato salad with bacon (she's German) and her Crisco pie crusts. My husband is aware (because I remind him every time I do it) that a homemade pie with a homemade crust from me truly is a labor of love because I get so frustrated making them (frustration with the crust tearing, argh). I'm sure there are many others, but those two come to mind.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I avoid my family's cooking like the plague. If you ever see them, you will understand why. Nary an *kitten* in sight that doesn't knock **** off of the shelves in a store when they walk down an isle.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Creamed spinach on toast and cream of asperagus soup. I've tried to make it her way, but it just doesn't work.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My mother used to make something called thickened potatoes, which is potatoes boiled in some kind of sauce that includes milk and corn meal. Sounds strange, but it was the ultimate comfort food.

Here's a recipe- they sound great!

http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/p/155888/157239.aspx#157239
  • cblevitron
    Options
    My mom makes the best oven baked pork chops, and somehow she makes boxed mac and cheese divine. How? I don't know. I've never been able to do it. She told me how to make her pork chops, and they just never come out like hers.

My grandma made the best grilled cheese. She gave me her sandwich press, and my grilled cheese doesn't even compare to hers. She also makes the best jambalaya, shrimp spaghetti, potato salad and gumbo. Mm.
  • SHERRYLLAC
    SHERRYLLAC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, stuffing. She made the best stuffing, now I do lol. Unfortunatley my mom passed away in 2009. She wasn't the best cook, always overcooked any meat "just to be safe" lol. She made great Lasagna, stuffing and potato salad though.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Personally my moms not a good cook. But still everyone hasca food that just isn't the same if your mom didn't make it. Mine are

1. Sweet tea
    2. Grilled cheese sandwich
    3. Eggs..I hate eggs otherwise
    4. Thanksgiving stuffing

So what foods are your moms specialties? (Or dad grandma great aunt husband whoever)

Here is my recipe for southern brewed sweet tea.
    Boil 3 cups water, remove from heat.
    Add 3 family size louzzian tea bags
    1 generous dash of backing soda
    Let sit for 13 minutes.
    Remove bags and add 3/4 cup sugar or equivalent.
    Stir to desolve.
    Pour into a 1 gallon pitcher.
    If your mom is old school Southern, this will start you on your way.

My mom was THEE worst cook in the world.
    My gramma made some great deviled eggs, though! And a light lemon frosted cake