Any Body Pumpers?

Options
Just wondering if anyone here takes a class called Body Pump? It's a group fitness class designed around weight training and is suppossed to promote intense fat burning! Been doing the class for more than 2 months and love it!! Just wondering how many calories the class burns? You definetly sweat and it gets your heart rate going...it's strength training, but I hate to log it as that b/c I know I burn a lot in the class...any thoughts???

Replies

• Melissa_123
    Options
    I have been taking this class since June...........LOVE IT!!!! I log it as circuit training.......I wasn't sure how accurate that was but now that I have a heart rate monitor it is very close to the same calories. Try that and see.............
  • Melissa_123
    Options
    double post ooopps
  • sblades
    Options
    Hi There - I'd like to try Body Pump, although the lineups at my club for this class have been insane and I've not been able to get a spot thus far. I have a heartrate monitor and could report back how many calories it burned for me, however it could be different for you. A heartrate monitor is the best way to figure out how many calories you have burned.
    Enjoy!
  • Relaeh
    Relaeh Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor from when I was pregnant, but I don't think it tells calories...it's a monitor I wore under my chest (wrapped around) and has a watch that tells heart rate...need to get one for calories...
    LOVE this class...I look so forward to it everyweek, I can't get enough! I have become sooo much stronger...my endurance is much better...I saw on Les Milles website it can burn up to 600 cal?? But, I'm sure that differs between men and women and how much weight you use and how hard you work...
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor from when I was pregnant, but I don't think it tells calories...it's a monitor I wore under my chest (wrapped around) and has a watch that tells heart rate...need to get one for calories...
    LOVE this class...I look so forward to it everyweek, I can't get enough! I have become sooo much stronger...my endurance is much better...I saw on Les Milles website it can burn up to 600 cal?? But, I'm sure that differs between men and women and how much weight you use and how hard you work...
    I have a similar setup for my HRM and the watch does display calories. Granted, it took my husband and I 15 minutes to figure it out what setting displayed it, but we found it lol. Could just be hiding from you :wink:
  • Relaeh
    Options
    Ahhh...I'm going to look into that...thanks =)
  • lisanxd
    Options
    Yes I take Body Pump... I burn anywhere from 530-620 calories for an hour depending on the night, according to my Polar HRM.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I love body pump classes! Such an awesome workout. You could also try logging under calisthenics (though I think the calorie burn is the same as for circuit training--not really sure what the difference is supposed to be).
  • Relaeh
    Options
    Great tips, guys-thanks =0)
  • Relaeh
    Options
    You were right, Kaitlinj....I just went and calculated 50-60 minutes of circuit training and it came up with 400++ calories burned-That's awesome-I loved Body Pump without that info, now I REALLY love it ;)
  • maxlua
    Options
    I have been going to Body Pump for about two years and I love it! According to my HRM I burn between 450-550 calories depending on the tracks the instructor uses. Have you tried any of the other Les Mills classes? I LOVE Body Attack, Body Flow, and RPM!!!
  • Relaeh
    Options
    I haven't done any other of his classes. The gym I go to started offering this class 2 years ago, but I didn't start until recently....i look forward to it every week!
  • shutter_bug7783
    Options
    I LOVE BODY PUMP!!! It's a great way for me to get in the weight lifting/toning that I might not otherwise do. I'm slightly uncomfortable with going into the free weights room because it's always full of nothing but guys. So doing the BP classes, I can still get toned.

We're currently on 72. I like some of the tracks... but I miss my Thunderstruck. That was muh jam! Not sure if I like the abs tracks on either the 71 or 72. They're great, but I like doing my own moves sometimes. I get bored with that track the easiest.

I love the crazy eights! Doen't that make your butt/thighs burn or what?
  • Relaeh
    Options
    OMG...lol....I love 71 as well..that's what I started with...we've been on 72 now for a few weeks, but the instructors are now switching it up, going from 65-71, to change it up-we did 71 last week and I was so excited! Thunderstruck def gets me going! the eights are hard! I can bearly get through it...but I love how I feel afterwards...def a great burn ;)
    So exciting for find others who love this class!
  • Vonne
    Vonne Posts: 33
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE PUMP!! I've only been going for about 5wks but I love it. I actually have to try really hard to get in just straight cardio like spinning or combat on alternate days...I would really rather do Pump as my only workout but I know you need to give your muscles a break every other day. I might have to request Thunderstruck to my instructor (I've never done that one)...she's been asking people if they have requests the last two weeks before the new track comes out.

Anyone who is interested in adding a friend who loves pump, please send me a request. I'm new to My fitness pal...
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    My wife's been a body pump instructor for over 2 years now, I've gone to a bunch of her classes. It's a pretty good workout, you definitely do burn quite a few calories.