Struggling to find the time- or energy

Ok I need a little help. And for those of you who have offered advice thus far, thank you, thank you, thank you! Here is goes: Here is my schedule:
Monday Class 1-4pm, work every other week 7p-7a
Tuesday Sleep from 8a-4p then have dinner with family and get ready for work (work from 7p-7a)
Wedneday, Sleep from 8a-12p, go to class from 1-4p. Every other ( the week i do not work monday) I work 7p-7a.
Thursdays (if I worked Wednedays) I sleep 8-4ish. Dinner with fam and then whatever.
Friday 7a-7p Clinicals at the hospitail
Every other Saturday and Sunday I work 7p-7a.

SO, one can see how I might be tired and struggle with where you find time to work out. I have NEVER been a morning person and all i want to do when I get off of work at 7am is sleep.

Any advice where to crap it in? What to do? I know I have days off and I can fit it in those days...I think I just need more energy. (you will say, work out, it will give you energy lol) Bah.

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Do you get a break in your 12 hr shift?
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    I can never work out on work days unless I fit it in before breakfast.
    Any chance you can change gyms or classes to do it around 4-5pm?

3 hrs is quite a long workout, perhaps you could shorten it by going more intense? (I don't know what you're doing fo r3 hours, so forgive me if its wrestling sharks or something. )

Either that or start doing your clinical rounds on a Space Hopper.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Um...all you need is about 30mins 3 days a week.
    You do some push ups, pulls/chins and squats.
    30 mins.....3-4x a week.....
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    I can never work out on work days unless I fit it in before breakfast.
    Any chance you can change gyms or classes to do it around 4-5pm?

3 hrs is quite a long workout, perhaps you could shorten it by going more intense? (I don't know what you're doing fo r3 hours, so forgive me if its wrestling sharks or something. )

Either that or start doing your clinical rounds on a Space Hopper.

Where did you get the 3 hour work out? I'd assume the class she refers to is like school/college lecture not a workout class?

Why not try something like the 30DS before work? It's a quick workout and easy to fit in to a busy schedule. I'll usually do it if I feel the need to work out but I'm short of time? I generally do that while my housemate cooks dinner actually. x
  • Hi, I can see how difficult it must be for you to fit exercise in. Perhaps your situation calls for more focus on what/how you eat and then to fit in incidental exercise whenever you can e.g., taking stairs/walking around the block, etc. as part of your day??
    Hope things work out - I too had to consider how I was looking after number one!
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member

Where did you get the 3 hour work out? I'd assume the class she refers to is like school/college lecture not a workout class?

Why not try something like the 30DS before work? It's a quick workout and easy to fit in to a busy schedule. I'll usually do it if I feel the need to work out but I'm short of time? I generally do that while my housemate cooks dinner actually. x

Oh yeah.
    I'm still going with the Space Hopper though.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    You may be right, I may just need to modify my eating until I can figure out a routine. I just started working nights and it is wearing me out. But I do feel like I am letting myself slide, and I don't like that. I am getting my boyfriend on board, though, so he will walk with me at least!
  • aquasw16
    I am so exhausted WHILE i am at work at right after work ...that although I do get 30 m inutes...all i want to do is sit there on my lunch, since I run my butt of while I am actually working :)
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    What are you eating? Serious question. Is your diet carb based or more protein based? I've found that when I have a 35/35/30 (carbs/protein/fat) that I have more energy. When I have my diet like it's set up now, with more than 50% set to carbs, I'm more sluggish. I have it set that way because of my pregnancy, but when I have her, I plan on resetting it to a more even split. You might try the different ratio for a couple of weeks and see if that gives you more energy.

The other suggestion is that you aren't eating enough, or you set your goals a little too high (2 pounds/week weight loss) and you really aren't meeting the demands of your body. Not eating enough will make you sluggish as well. Its not just the busy lifestyle. I work 7p-7a as well as having 3 children with 1 on the way. I still find time to at least go on a walk. Generally, though, it's not on the days I work.

Unfortunately, this entire process revolves around planning. Pick a time, 3 days a week, where you are almost guaranteed the time to exercise. Then make it an appointment, part of your schedule like work or classes are and stick to it. You can lose weight without working out, but I guarantee you'll feel better if you do work out. And it makes losing weight alot easier once you get your body moving.
  • aquasw16
    What are you eating? Serious question. Is your diet carb based or more protein based? I've found that when I have a 35/35/30 (carbs/protein/fat) that I have more energy. When I have my diet like it's set up now, with more than 50% set to carbs, I'm more sluggish. I have it set that way because of my pregnancy, but when I have her, I plan on resetting it to a more even split. You might try the different ratio for a couple of weeks and see if that gives you more energy.

The other suggestion is that you aren't eating enough, or you set your goals a little too high (2 pounds/week weight loss) and you really aren't meeting the demands of your body. Not eating enough will make you sluggish as well. Its not just the busy lifestyle. I work 7p-7a as well as having 3 children with 1 on the way. I still find time to at least go on a walk. Generally, though, it's not on the days I work.

Unfortunately, this entire process revolves around planning. Pick a time, 3 days a week, where you are almost guaranteed the time to exercise. Then make it an appointment, part of your schedule like work or classes are and stick to it. You can lose weight without working out, but I guarantee you'll feel better if you do work out. And it makes losing weight alot easier once you get your body moving.
    Oh I am eating horrible recently. Mostly carbs. I want to do a spring tri at some point, hopefully next summer, and a 5k before then...So I am wanting to work out to really get in shape and also for weight loss, of course.
  • michay
    michay Posts: 37 Member
    Does the hospital or facility you're clinicals are at/where you work(or if you're like the scool I went to, the college of health was attached to the hospital) have a gym? Or workout incentives? Maybe get a group of coworkers together and you all workout as soon as you get off work in the mornings, even for 30 min. That way you're not the only one holding you accountable.
  • When I started, I had NO energy. I didn't bother trying to exercise, but if I walked, I logged it! I just started keeping track of my food diary. If I went over, I went over (calories). I just ate what I wanted. I finally started eating a little less. Sometimes because I was too lazy to want to log in snacks later. I've lost 27 pounds in 5 months. Much slower than my goal, but it's something I'm proud of. I'm looking forward to buying some new pants, as my old ones are falling off. :smile:
    I NOW feel like I have some energy! I'm watching the calories much closer, as well as the fat, carbs, protein, and fiber. It's getting fun. I LOVE carbs, so those are harder to cut down on. I can't eliminate them completely, but there are certain times to swap them. I like low carb wraps (La Tortilla Factory) has some good ones, for a sandwich instead of bread. Lots of low or no carb cookbooks are out there too.
    If you're just starting, don't try to do everything all at once. Start small. I'd read once where someone wanted to start exercising, but couldn't find the time. They started on the first of (whatever) month. On the first, she exercised for 1 minute. On the second, she exercised for 2... She continued the pattern until she was doing it for half an hour a day. I love the concept! Maybe it could work for you. Just worry about the food diary until November 1. On that day add 1 minute of exercise.
    Good luck!!!:happy:
    Feel free to add me as a friend. >^..^<