Where can i find Turmeric?

Options
Where can i fnd Turmeric? Walmart produce don't have it. Can i even fid this in a grocery store of do i have to go to a health food store to get Turmeric?

Replies

• Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    In the UK it's just with all the other dried herbs and spices in the supermarket......
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    my local grocery has it in the spice area.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Yup, we have it in the baking aisles with spices as well :)
  • heliach
    Options
    It's in the spice aisle of any grocery store
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Just FYI the spices are in alphabetical order.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The only place that I have seen any fresh turmeric root is at my local health food store, which sometimes stocks it.

It's really going to depend on your location; if you're in the city, there are certain neighbourhoods you'd have more luck in (for example, when I lived in Toronto, I lived near Little India). If you have a Whole Foods, you might find it there. In a small town, though, it's really hit and miss. All around, it's a lot more expensive than the dried stuff, far more expensive than its cousin, ginger root, and I can pretty much guarantee that it won't ever be stocked by Walmart.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If you have an asian supermarket near by they will sell it, but if you look by the dried herbs and spices in your food store you should find it. It will be in a jar or packet and is a bright yellow powder!
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The spice aisle of any grocery store. You can also find whole tumeric in asian grocery stores.
  • Aisha_E
    Aisha_E Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Becky. Try your local specialty or health food store. Whole Foods, Trader Joes are sure to have it. Even a co-op. I get most of my herbs and tea online from FroniterCoop.com.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I always put a bit in when I'm cooking rice - gives it a lovely pilau colour without the cost of saffron :)
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    The spice aisle of any grocery store. You can also find whole tumeric in asian grocery stores.

lol! snap we posted the same thing at the same time!! Freaky, but kinda obvious too!!!
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have yet to have seen fresh turmeric in my life, but I'd assume you could find it at an indian market.

However, you should be able to find dried turmeric in the spice aisle at any store.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Walmart has 500mg turmeric supplements. Break the pills open? LOL.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    you can find it where ever you shop that carries McCormick spices, i got mine for the first time at Jewel one of the lage grocery stores by me.