Running In Winter Weather

Options
I've been doing a beginner running program, "Run Your Butt Off" from Runners' World mag, This will be my first winter as a runner. I'd like to continue to run outside for as long as I can. I'd like to avoid treadmills or indoor track because of boredom.

What is your best advice for running in snow, slush and ice?

Replies

• MDIRunner
    Options
    I live in Maine and use common sense in the winter. Check the conditions before you go out and let safety be your guide. Usually, even if there is a good bit of snow on the ground, the shoulder on the road has enough clearance to run there. If there is ice, or if you feel cars will not have control, find some trails or stay inside. Layer properly for warmth. Also, I've heard snowshoeing is great exercise, though I have never tried it. :)
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    bump
  • haasgirl
    Options
    My best advice is to make sure you have good running gear for winter. It can get expensive but there is nothing worse than being or getting cold while you are running.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    try to smile right from the start so that when the snot freezes on your face your expression will show everyone you are still having fun
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Invest in some shoe spikes if ice in your area is bad. Yaktrax Pro Traction Cleats for Snow and Ice
  • jodiebarrette
    jodiebarrette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love running in the winter - especially when its snowing. I wear layers and I run a little slower on the snow and ice. Just stay toward the shoulder of the road and you should be fine. Good luck to you and have fun!
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If the footing is unsure, don't run.

If you still want to run: http://www.xxl.no/sko/skotilbehoer/brodder-og-pigger/pro-loepebrodder-1058432

I don't know the word for "brodder" in English, but it's basically a way to give yourself an extra grip - spikes I guess is one term for it. I used those for a winter in Northern Sweden and never slipped. I have issues with my pelvis, so I really needed to be safe at all times, and those things did it. They are designed for running, but I only used them for walking. Northern Sweden may be a bit more extreme than where you live - I was pretty close to the polar circle, with very long nights.

As for clothing: thin wool underwear, mittens and a cap, and layers. Wool bottom layer, long johns and long sleeved shirts, and windbreakers on top. Wool keeps you warm even after it's moist from sweat, unlike synthetics. While running will keep you warm, you will still need some insulation, experiment until you know how much clothing you'll need. And no, modern wool clothing does not itch. It's actually wonderfully soft and comfortable.

Happy running!
  • Zyphun
    Zyphun Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It is a bother, but I agree with finding a local trail or track. Try anywhere you can find, but the roads (in terms of it be icy) can be dangerous and it is best to have back plans.. If your area had a community/rec center, that might be a place to start. You could also call the local high school and ask for the track coach. They might have a place they train their runners in the winter.

It isn't as easy as just getting out your front door, but it is safer.
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is what I do:

I love running, but I never run outdoors if it snowed or rained the night before. I do this for safety because you can never trust the cars on the road if they see your not. When the snow comes, you can buy studs or put screws in your shoes to help with traction. Watch out for ice! It's a killer. I also don't run if the temp is below 0 degrees F, but that's just me. That is just way to cold. On those days that it has/is rained/snowed, I focus more on strength training inside. Strength training is equally important as muscle burns calories all day long.

I hope this helps. Also, feel free to add me as a friend, as I'm always open to friendship.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running in the winter. I start before 4 am during the week and 5 am on Sat. Sometimes, it is tough. From my experience, it is usually exhilarating after a run in tough weather.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run outside all year 'round. If you're dressed properly (think layers) running in winter can be very enjoyable.

You do need to watch you footing (this has the added benefit of forcing you to shorten your stride - which promote a mid foot strike - unless you want to land on your butt) and you need to be very cognizant of visibility as there are fewer hours of daylight (if you're running in low light conditions or in the dark make sure you have reflective clothing and get yourself a headlamp)

Have fun!
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the great input. :bigsmile:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Step careful, don't train for pace/worry about your speed even when it seems pretty clear, try to note where it's easiest to run/clearest while you're out during the day. For example, my building complex was always a lot more diligent about shoveling than anywhere else in the neighborhood. Maybe find an apt complex or some similar community, where they take care of the public walks surrounding them.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If there's a polar bear behind you, run faster. :smile:

If it's icy out I wouldn't even risk running. One bad twist and the whole season can be over for you. Wear a toque and keep those ears protected. I got frostbitten ears one year and I looked like dumb-bow the elephant for about 2 weeks. Spend the money and get top quality winter running shoes.

Have fun and stay safe. Wear a safety vest if your running on the roads.

Cheers
  • kldiva70
    Options
    I am a new runner and this is a great question thanks for bringing it up!
  • pithole
    pithole Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Also, just good running advice:
    •Wear safety colors: neon yellow and orange.
    •Get a blinker or headlamp to illuminate yourself and path.
    I ran for an hour and a half the other day and never saw the sun.
    Winter weather means less sunlight so just be extra cautious.
    I look like a big flashing traffic cone running down the road in the morning.
    I rather look a little silly than go completely unnoticed by groggy morning drivers.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump, to read tonight
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    bump for more advice.
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying outdoor winter runs... but just yesterday, I slipped on some ice just as I was hitting my stride in front of my house... be careful! (Skinned knee grade: Retro.)