Frazzled homeschool mom of 5 needs help.

Options
I hope I will be able to do this. I spend practically every waking moment taking care of and teaching my children. I won't go into all of the reasons for that, but simply pushing that responsibility aside is not an option, as I am deeply committed to it.

BUT, I need to figure out how to work in a bit of time to exercise and to be able to THINK THROUGH what I am doing with my diet. Dinner is usually planned about 3:30 every afternoon (i.e. What do we have that I can throw together.). I love sweets. I love tea with sugar. I am addicted to chocolate. If there is pie or cake in the house, I eat it for breakfast. I have very little self control. Okay, none.

I am fat-thin. People say I am skinny. Truth is, I am at about 30% body fat. Yuck. I look terrible naked. I quit swimming a couple of years ago because I look so horrible in a bathing suit. I have very little muscle, and I disgust myself. I am a pear with NO (I mean NO) chest, a smallish waist, and huge hips and rear.

And now it is nearing winter in Iowa, and I won't be able to go jogging outside. Okay, okay, I won't want to go jogging outside. I don't like the cold. I don't like exercise anyway, but to exercise in the cold?!? Yikes! But we live in a very rural area, and the nearest gym is 30 minutes away. How do I fit that into my schedule? I don't.

Sheesh. I need to get a handle on this, and figure out how to make it work.

I need a new attitude. How do I psych myself up to do this?

Replies

• Sandraleigh87
    Sandraleigh87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Check out Jillian Michaels! I love her 30 day shred, buns and thighs, abs, everything!! Her DVD's only require a set of hand weights and they are usually about 1/2 hour. Also, they are super fun!!
  • misselleau
    Options
    Hey there!

I've never posted on this board before, but I have 5 kids too, and I know exactly what you mean! I have the same challenges as you, this program is working for me so far and I've lost 14 pounds. I'll tell you the tricks I have learnt. Number one - Sugar is addictive, Just brace yourself, and cut it from your diet for a week. Swap to Splenda in your tea, and skip the sweet snacks.. after a week you stop craving it. Number 2.. Protein is the key, make sure you have protein with every meal, it staves off the hunger and stops your body from eating through muscle rather than fat. Number 3.. Make you the priority for a while..You have to, once you get a handle on eating healthier, you will have so much more energy, you will have time for your kids and yourself, and they deserve a healthier happier Mum, who will be around for them much longer! Good luck!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Buy casserole dishes and prepare several over the weekend.
    Crackpots are a godsend. But need to be started in the a. M.
    Stop making pie, it isn't good for anyone. Maybe when you have company, but make sure it and gets eaten
    Breakfast frittata, look them up.
    After each lesson, let the kids do individual study while you do a quick carfdio work out. Even if you get in 15 mins 2-3xs a day, it's something.
    Join your local homeschooling group. It will help your kids socialize, you socialize andy many parents like to swap 1/2 days 2-3xs a week. Sometimes because the other parent is better at a particular subject or just to give the mom down time.

If 1 or 2 of the kids are old enough to help the younger kids, this can add to the 15 mins. You can also get them together to do group calisthenics, which is important.
    Good luck
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I am a homeschooling mom of 8. If you have older kids have them take on a meal a week.We plan out our meals a month at a time. Some of that food I make ahead of time and freeze, I love my crockpot too. Also try to work exercise into the kids schooling (P.E. credits!). We did a session on nutrition. We watched Food Inc, Super Size Me, Food Nation, and a few other food documentaries. The kids were totally on board about changing out diets after that. We have to take time to take care of ourselves or we can not properly take care of our families! Best of luck!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I know lots of moms with several kids who were able to do it. Looks like you got some good suggestions here. We all have our situations to deal with. Life is not fair. We choose to have kids and must face the consequence of that choice, and the bottom line is that it is a sacrifice to raise kids and harder to find time. I hope you find some ideas here. The kids grow up before you know it, and you will reap the benefits (or not) of what you ultimately do now with your life and your body. Being fit and healthy even though it's hard is the best example you can give your kids. You probably need to want it a bit more. The more you want it for real, the more you will find a way to make it work.
  • cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above! Protein and a crockpot are lifesavers. Include kiddos in meal planning (home ec) and plan your meals at least a week at a time so you are prepared and not overwhelmed at 3:30. Include them in exercising (PE), my daughter and I both have a goal to run a 5K in the spring. Make the older kids help and help them all gain independence by being able to work on their own for a bit at a time. Look into online learning apps/games that they can do. And netflix has some great little 20minute workouts that you can squeeze in through the day.