Ever had anyone try to tell you how to do your job?

Options
2»

Replies

• MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Every single day! My patients tell me how to do my job! hahahahaha.... With the ones I know well, I tell them "hey, I don't come into Taco Bell and tell you how to do YOUR job!" They back off. I don't suggest saying what I say, but just shrug it off. :flowerforyou:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    She was ignorant & you a very much needed in the medical field ~ best of luck to you :flowerforyou:

Awh thank you :) I did have one really nice gentleman, an anesthesiologist, that sounded really excited about me calling and asked me all kinds of questions, and it sounded like he wanted to get me an interview, so that's good. Plus it was for the Hoffman Heart and Vascular Institute, so lots of EKGs, which I love!

OHHHHH HELL, if you can get yourself in with an Anaesthesiologist, you will have it MADE!!!!!
  • blessed0910
    Options
    Yes - today in fact - and it infuriates me .... I want to tell that person to get her head out of the bosses *kitten* and do her job and stay out of mine! But I just smile and walk away. My momma taught me how to be a lady, after all.

I so understand your fusterations there. I have a supervisor who is the HR/Office Manager, does not know anything about accounting and yet tries to tell me how to do my job. Let me just go by telling you that i have been doing accounting for 14 years and I have my 4 year degree. She may have been doing her HR job for years but she doesn't have a degree at all. Plus no real knowledge of accounting. She and I have gotten into it a few times because of it. I just have to remind myself it was me working full time and going to school full time and raising two children, with one that has special needs. She is in her 50's and it is a control thing!
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    No, but I've ran into MEN that do not want to deal with me because I'm a woman...........I get...well what does Dave say? BLAH......whatever.......If he didn't trust me to do the project or task, he would have done it himself........
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I draw blood, and we get a lot of junkies who try to direct you to their bad veins so we don't use up their good ones. :noway:
  • bermudamel
    Options
    I'm a phlebotomist and have had people doing that all 10 years of my career! Yes I understand some people have hard to find veins, and yes when I was 22 and just starting and looked new that's fine but now I just say "ok" and do what I need to do. I think no matter what the job is you run into that. It cracks me up though in my job when they'll start looking at their own arms or feeling veins like they know what to feel for. I don't do that to the person when I get my blood drawn!
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Totally.

"Is that YOUR child? You know you really ought to cover him up better!" It was 70 outside.
    OR
    "Oh that behavior isn't THAT bad, you don't need to get on to him!" When he smarted off to me.

Being a stay at home mom is the best job ever!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    OH Yes!! One old crotchety mechanic who tries to tell me daily something I have done wrong - I do the bookkeeping and reception, I don't try to tell him to how to fix a car, don't tell me how to balance the books or answer the phones!! Grrrrrrr.... I def have to just shrug it off, anyone who is that critical of others obviously needs to make himself (or herself in the OP's case) feel better by talking down to others.

I don't care what your job is, if you are "just" the assistant, the janitor, the cashier, or the freaking CEO - do YOUR job well, and STFU about everyone else. At the end of the day, I am accountable only for MY job, and I go home feeling good knowing I gave excellent customer service, was friendly to those I came in contact with, balanced the books, and hopefully had opportunity to do something a little above and beyond. I have had customers give me the "you're just the secretary" thing before, and I just smile to myself because I know my boss would be LOST without me being "just the secretary". (Now if he thought of me that way, we would have a problem!!)
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    Yup and I left the building about 10 seconds before I ruined my career by punching him between the eyes :angry:
  • bermudamel
    Options
    I draw blood, and we get a lot of junkies who try to direct you to their bad veins so we don't use up their good ones. :noway:

have totally had that happen too! or they smack the h3ll outta one and tell you to go there!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I'm a phlebotomist and have had people doing that all 10 years of my career! Yes I understand some people have hard to find veins, and yes when I was 22 and just starting and looked new that's fine but now I just say "ok" and do what I need to do. I think no matter what the job is you run into that. It cracks me up though in my job when they'll start looking at their own arms or feeling veins like they know what to feel for. I don't do that to the person when I get my blood drawn!

Unfortunately you will run into patients who do know that one arm might have rolling/collapsing veins vs the other arm which is better... Ive done phlebotomy work and Ive always asked the patient if they had a preference to which arm they would like it done to...

When Im the patient, they have to take it from the right arm if they want the full draw to happen without having any problems. Its more courtesy to ask in my opinion.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and patients always have advanced medical degrees ala Google and know everything thanks to Grey's Anatomy. In the medical field you get use to it!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Today, I was calling places for my internship, and had a lady ask what program I was in and then said "Oh." and proceeded to tell me how they don't really take medical assistants because "all they do is..." and then continued telling me what I already know I would do O.o It's fine if you don't take MAs as interns because "all they do" isn't enough for you, but I think the past year and 4 months I've been in school, I know what the job entails. -sigh- There was a few other sites that looked promising, though, so at least that's good!

Ever had anyone try to tell you how to do your job?

The most important trait in any job is being able to handle critique externally and internally. Meaning that externally you must communicate that you accept the critique. If it is something that you should strongly work on then my advice is to work on that. There are critiques that can be mere perception and depending on the importance of that person then you must reflect internally and keep it internally if you disagree. If you didn't like the critique then you can always ask for supporting facts and then counter it but if there is no merit and if it pissed you off then keep that to yourself.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

Unfortunately you will run into patients who do know that one arm might have rolling/collapsing veins vs the other arm which is better... Ive done phlebotomy work and Ive always asked the patient if they had a preference to which arm they would like it done to...

When Im the patient, they have to take it from the right arm if they want the full draw to happen without having any problems. Its more courtesy to ask in my opinion.

I ask, but most of the time, I take into consideration who I'm asking. I honestly get some that just don't know what they're talking about. I once had a patient tell me he could only be drawn from a spot on his forearm. I stuck him and got nothing. I ignored him on the second stick and found a HUGE AC vein, and it worked like a charm. Some people just want to look like they know everything....
  • bermudamel
    Options

I'll ask, I can't stand it when they just start bossing me from the start. Give me a chance to say hi, how are you, which arm would you like