Start Weight?

Options
When you started MFP, did you weigh yourself right when you started using the program, or did you start with your highest weight?
My highest weight that I knew of was at the doctor's office; I weighed 312.
I weighed myself the day I started using MFP, and I clocked in at 305. That is my start weight on my profile/ ticker.
Would it be unfair to change it to 312? Does it really make a difference, as it's only a 7-pound difference and I now weigh 276?
Any other thoughts?

Replies

• hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    120 kilos at start - I wondered the same but I think it is right to record what it was at the time - else we are fiddling the weight loss chart
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I put my weight when I started my weight loss journey, not when I started on MFP.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was about 30 pounds heavier than what I started at on here - but that was years ago, and I had lost weight since then and then gained it back. Now I'm trying to lose the weight I gained back, plus more :)
  • divasj
    divasj Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Start with the weight you was when you started so you don't cheat yourself.. Sure your story on weight loss. I see a lot of weight loss from a lot of people. Help me because I am slowing lossing.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    When I signed up, I didnt have a scale so I guessed. Then a few days later, I saw that my office has a scale (for mailing large presentation materials). So I used it. I was off by 4lbs and I adjusted MFP because I never really weighed that number. Since you really did weigh that amount, it wouldnt be wrong if you changed it.

Some of the other stories I have read on here say that they once weighed whatever but since then they have lost 100lbs but their ticker only shows 40 (or whatever). Basically, I think some people just use the weight they were when the started but I dont see either as wrong.
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was honest with starting weight for MFP. My highest weight a while back was 300 (one day only, but there) I dieted off and on before MFP, and starting weight here was 280. A lot more than your 7 difference. I would stay with your true MFP weight. If someone asks how much, they usually aren't on MFP, and you can tell them the actual weight loss. You can put on your profile if you haven't already, a note stating your high weight . I guess the starting weight here for me was when I really got serious and knew I needed support as I wasn't doing it alone. I'll tell people when asked, I've lost 32. But while on MFP, it shows 13. I don't mind. It's then end result I'm after. :smile:

Starting weight xxx (or heaviest weight xxx)
    MFP 1st weigh-in xxx
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself the day I started mfp and went with that. It works for me but everyone needs different motivation.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I put my SW, not when I started MFP.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I used my MFP start weight however in my profile I've put my highest weight, start weight, current weight and goal weight, but just so i don't get confused about how much I've lost during this diet attempt, I started with the weight I weighed in at on the first day even though it's not as impressive a loss.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I put in how much I weighed I started MFP.. I had lost 6 before joining but I figured it really doesn't matter what my ticker says. MFP just uses your current weight and your goal weight when determining your goals.
  • cldaugherty
    cldaugherty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used my current weight for MFP as my start weight because my highest weight was 4 years ago, which was 70lbs that I have been able to keep off. That "old" self is gone and I don't want to remember that. I want to keep my eyes on the future of where I want to go. The front windshield is bigger than the rearview mirror for a reason. :)
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    My ultimate starting weight was 4lb but I made up for it since.
    I'll stick with the 120 kilos I put in
  • mininipuce
    mininipuce Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I put my original weight when I started my weight loss journey too (Feb. 2012). I started using MFP because one of my colleague recommended it to me since I needed extra motivation to continue to lose weight steadily.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've thought about doing that too, but I've just kept it. My highest weight was a month before I signed up for this site at 210 and when I started here I was down to (which is wrong because I was at 201 and I don't think I had the heart to admit to being over 200lbs) I just keep the highest number in my head so I can keep track of how much I've lost.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    You putting the 305 when you weighed the day you started MFP is fine, you can just notate elsewhere what you were at your highest.

I dont think it is cheating, thats what you currently weighed and you logged it in when you joined

I dont see the big deal. You however, have to do what you are comfortable with.

Congrats on your weights loss so far.
  • scoutmom22
    Options
    I put my weight when I started my weight loss journey, not when I started on MFP.

me too - it makes me so happy to see that total number!!! i had lost -20 pre-MFP and i added that in there - when i figured out how, i also make note of it under my inspirations i think. YAY! do what feels good to YOU!
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    In order to see the effectiveness of this site, you really should list your weight at the time you joined this site. I was at 388, dropped to 380 in one week (I was ill and basically knocked out on prescribed medications) and the next week I was 382. Since I had gained 2 pounds in one week, one of my doctors decided I needed to change the way I eat. That is the day I started here, so that is the weight I listed. I do belong to a Friday weigh in group and when I weigh in each Friday I list what my highest weight was.