heart rate monitors

Options
So, I just got my new heart rate monitor (Polar FT40) and I'm just a little confused...How do I know where to set my maximum heart rate? I read the manual on line but didn't see anything about that, any advice out there would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• alimay66
    alimay66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Think its on page 26 of the manual:

http://www.polar.fi/e_manuals/FT40/Polar_FT40_user_manual_English.pdf

Training Settings, Select Settings > Training settings.
    • Training sounds: Select Off, Soft,Loud or Very loud.
    • Heart rate view : Set the FT40 to display your heart rate as Beats per minute or as Percent of maximum.
    • HeartTouch: Select On or Off. Heart Touch will display the time if you bring the wrist unit near the transmitter.
    • Heart rate upper limit helps you to train within your personal target heart rate zone (e.g. advised by a doctor). Set upper heart
    rate limit On and adjust the limit with UP/DOWN and press OK.

User Information Select Settings > User Information and press OK.
    • Weight: Enter your weight.
    • Height: Enter your height.
    • Date of birth: Enter your date of birth
    • Sex : Select MALE or FEMALE.
    • Maximum heart rate is the highest number of heartbeats per minute (bpm) during maximum physical exertion. Change the default value only if you know your laboratory-measured value.
    • Activity: Select the alternative that best describes the overall amount and intensity of your physical activity during the past three months.
  • JenSpinnaChick
    JenSpinnaChick Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    OK I guess I didn't state my question correctly,,,how do you know what to set as your personal target heart rate zone?
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The simplest traditional method is 226 minus your age.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You should take it back and get it a Garmin Edge 500. They're the best. Period. Point blank.
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ooops...sorry.

For the zone I use this:

http://www.ottawarun.com/heartrate.htm
  • malariemj
    malariemj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The article there says that some people vary up to 15-20bpm from this rate (if you do the calculator). My MHR is supposed to be 170 but when I work out my average HR is around 165 and my max is always like 193. If you don't want to look at the calculator just do 220 minus your age.
  • malariemj
    malariemj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think Polar HRM are the best. I have a Polar FT70 and it connects with all my cardio equipment at the gym. It has a GPS tracker, too.
  • amberforgo
    Options
    It really depends on what type of training you want to do? If it's fat burning zone i think its keeping your heart rate at 60 to 70% of your max heart rate. For Aerobic Zone 70 to 80% max heart rate.

To find your max heart rate for females its 226 minus your age (this is not exact but close enough)

Hope this helps
  • coolcatrandy
    coolcatrandy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Google "Determine max heart rate" there are several sites that can give you the ranges for a person your age, height, weight etc.