Weight Training??

Options
Will I get different results using free weights versus the weight machines?? Is there a difference?? Is it ok to start by using the weight machines?

Thanks

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Free weights work the supporting (stabilizing) muscles, while machines don't.

Short answer: Free weights are more work in less time.

Example: Leg press works quads, and some hamstrings
    Barbell full squat works: Well, every single muscle group is under tension in a full squat.
  • dynad
    dynad Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Free weights Rule!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Here's some great motivation about why free weights are the preferred method:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap

Like wellbert said, free weights give you better results in less time
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable using free weights and can do the correct form during the workouts.. use free weights.. If you are not comfortable or unsure of your form, use the machines until you are comfortable.
  • ElleFerguson
    ElleFerguson Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That's a great question. I can't wait to see the answers.
    I use both depending on what routine I'm doing for whatever day.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable using free weights and can do the correct form during the workouts.. use free weights.. If you are not comfortable or unsure of your form, use the machines until you are comfortable.

Exactly!
  • wellbert
    Options

If you are uncomfortable with the idea of being in the weightroom, then I agree.

However. Using machines will never teach you how to use free weights, and you only delay your learning by doing so.
    Start with very light free weights to get the form down, then start making it heavier.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    weights with the machines are fine, if you are unsure of how to do free weights correctly, or are intimidated by them. Free weights will get you faster results in less time because they work more muscles. Machines isolate your muscles, but are safer over all.

I use both, depending on how I'm feeling and what I'm doing. I'm learning to use free weights right now, and so there are certain exercises I do with free weights now, that I used to do with the machines.

I think the biggest issue is safety. Learn to use the free weights CORRECTLY, and they definitely give you an edge. But if you use them wrong, you can hurt yourself and/or not get the results you are looking for. That is why the machines are popular, because you can target certain areas without fear of getting hurt.
  • wellbert
    Options
    but are safer over all.

. machine weights force you into unnatural movement paths 100% of the time.
    free weights, only if you screw up.

just sayin.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Free weights all the way! The machines do not move like your body should. Like let's say Smith machine-moves up and down on cables. If you do squat with the Smith, the bar will move up and down. If you do squat with barbell, your body moves a bit to the front to compensate for the weight and up and down.Plus, free weights involve so much more muscles than machines. To get form right with free weights, don't load up too much while you are learning the moves.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Here's some great motivation about why free weights are the preferred method:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap

Like wellbert said, free weights give you better results in less time

:laugh: Thanks... that saves me some time! :drinker:

Machines are better than nothing if you have no other option, but if you have the option... go for the free weights.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Free weights are definitely better!
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    I agree with the responses but I find one machine useful: cable pull machine. Plus its always good to mix things up a bit. But I do agree with the general answer of free weights. Be free! It is more fun once you get familiar with it.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    but are safer over all.

. machine weights force you into unnatural movement paths 100% of the time.
    free weights, only if you screw up.

just sayin.

this is true...you can definitely do the machine weights wrong... you have to make sure you've got them set up for your size. I have to adjust the machines all the time at the gym, because I'm short.