Crossfit -What fitness level were you when you started?

Options
I’ve become interested in doing crossfit and I’m curious as to how fit I should be before starting. I don’t think I would have the endurance to do many of the circuits I’ve seen in the videos of people in their ‘boxes’ doing their various sets.

I suppose my thought process is that if I can’t do a great deal of what they are doing I could get discouraged. So I’m wondering if there are typically people in those classes working up to that level, or if people generally train up outside of the crossfit boxes to a point where they can be relatively in decent enough shape to participate.

A good example is chin ups. I’m lacking in upper body strength, coupled with being still over weight some, I would be unable to do the chin up sets. I’m also pretty sure I can’t do the rings either. Do they usually have classes for people working up to that?

***Edit*** After finding and reading this article, I think I may check into it sooner rather than later. I may even shrug off the Lee Labrada plan if I like it. I think I'll check out a couple of local 'boxes' when I return from my upcoming SCUBA diving trip!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/01/interview-with-the-paleo-kitchen-and-a-crossfit-instructor/

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine.

They typically offer a free workout....just swign by and check it out.
  • djmauck
    djmauck Posts: 18
    Options
    I basically went from the couch to CrossFit. It was a tough transition obviously but the workouts were able to be modified. I did ring rows instead of pull ups, even had a sand bag put on my feet because I couldn't do more than 20 push ups. I went 2-3 times a week for about 6 months, and since then have stopped and moved on to other fitness goals for various reasons. However, as of my last WOD I had graduated to a proper pull up and can do around 12-15 in a row, plus lots of sit ups.

I would like to caution you, though, to be VERY careful starting CrossFit. One thing I noticed is that a lot of boxes tend to not stress proper form, which can be very dangerous especially if you're doing load-bearing exercises and trying to do a lot of reps very quickly. For example, many WODs at my box would involve push presses, dead lifts, power cleans, etc. These are lifts where form is extremely important. I pushed myself too hard one day on a WOD that involved dead lifts, performed the last few sets with poor form, and ended up barely being able to bend over for like a week afterwards.

Because of the competitive environment, it's very easy to go way past what your body is capable of. If you're doing anything that involves throwing around a barbell, dumbbell, or kettlebell, this can easily lead to injury. So whatever you do, learn proper form, do it right even if that means you have to slow down, and if you find yourself too tired to do a given exercise with proper form, stop and rest until you can.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    @djmauck Yes, I have seen the form in the crossfit games, and in some videos and see where that could definitely be an issue. I have no problem with peer pressure and due to the fact I've had and overcome injuries; I place a higher value on caution than competition.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    If "sad" is a fitness level, that's where I started crossfit. The gym I went to they were super cool and helped me scale absolutely everything, so I never missed any elements of any WOD. Sure, I felt a little self conscious at first with my teensy little 1/100th pood kettle bell surrounded by people flinging 5 pood bells around, but at the end of the workout we were all pink and sweaty and wasted, no matter how many pood were involved. And wow it felt good to have Jen (the trainer) point to me and say "not that one, not anymore. Move up." as I progressed up the weights. I stuck with it for a good six months too, 5x a week, only leaving when work sent me out of town for a few months. When I came back, they'd moved to a much less convenient location, but I miss it, they were awesome people. Who else can you have a conversation about pood with?

Go for it. If you wait until you are in "better shape" to do anything, there's a lot of fun you might miss out on.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes, I found some good info on it here:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/03/01/a-beginners-guide-to-crossfit/

Now that I see everything is scalable, I am really interested.
  • cmoreci
    Options
    I have been doing Crossfit now for a 3 months, I absolutely love it! I wasn't in horrible shape when I started but I have made such great improvements since my first week. You can pretty much scale anything down and the trainers are very knowledgeable in how to do this. I recommend you try it out, I know you'll love it!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about doing it and just go sign up for the ramp up class. Not trying to be harsh, but nobody ever got into shape by thinking about doing something. Or reading about something. Or wondering what they are capable of. There's only one way to find out what you're capable of. Just go do it.
  • bekind14
    bekind14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I Crossfit 5x/week. When I started, about 4 months ago, I went 3x/week. I have definitely improved in ALL areas...and love the fact that I can walk into the gym and have the workout planned for me. I don't have to think...just DO! How do you track your workout calories from Crossfit?

Anyone doing a Paleo diet?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do it. just sign up for the on-ramp class. everything is scalable and the trainers are pretty patient with showing you technique.

after the on ramp i've noticed many boxes also have beginner's classes so you can go to those afterwards and maybe get a little bit more instruction until you feel somewhat confident with the form and technique

and no paleo for me. ever.