Daily weighing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally Frustrated!!!!!!!!

Options
zd04
zd04 Posts: 1,160 Member
Hey friends I weighed myself on weekly bases for last two weeks.
But from this week I've started weighing daily and it makes me so sad!!!!!
Because I am getting the same weight from last two weeks.
No improvement!!!!!
This is making me so frustrating!!!!!
Guys need your support!!!!!!!!:cry:

Replies

• Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Go back to weighing weekly then! Weight can fluctuate by a couple of pounds from day to day, or stay static for a while before dropping, so if you're finding daily weighing stressful and frustrating, stop doing it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Stop weighting yourself daily.
  • patrox247
    Options
    Yeah the scale has driven me crazy over the last year. I started My Fitness Pal in December of last year (2011) and have lost around 127 pounds over the last 10 months. There were times where I steadily lost weight but those times were very rare for me. My body likes to stay at a weight for a long time and sometimes even put on more water weight which is even more frustrating and then all of a sudden dump a bunch of the weight all at once. It is frustrating because I would like to have more day to day instant gratification but I have come to the conclusion that my body just won't lose weight that way. I have stuck to the program no matter what the scale has told me and if things continue like they have I should reach my target weight in December. That will be 150 lbs lost in one year by simply trusting the program. I also want to mention that I have a very inactive lifestyle and I do not exercise at all. This is going to change in 2012 but it goes to show that My Fitness Pal works great. You can do it! Trust the program and you WILL lose the weight.
  • Rasputin
    Rasputin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue with daily weigh-ins - just don't take it as being 100% accurate - Also, you may be in a plateau - Trust your caloric intake and caloric burn via exercise - Eventually, the work will pay off - The MOST important thing is DON'T give up! Hang in there; it will be worth it. GOOD LUCK!
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I started weighing myself daily and at first it was stressful, but there is a pattern that happens with weight fluctuation that you will get the hang of recognizing (if you continue). But, if you feel that seeing it every day really brings you down, go back to weekly weighing.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of that joke: A man walks into a Dr's office and says to the doctor "Hey, Doc, it really hurts when I do this.". So the doctor looks at the patient, and says, "So stop doing that".
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself every day and are not losing and it depresses you, then weighing yourself less often makes the depression happen less often. But you still will not be losing weight.

If someone tells you that your weight goes up and down and the scales do not tell the whole story- this is true. But if you weigh yourself less often then the chances of weighing on the day your weight drops is less.

Better to weight everyday and if you are not losing weight - you find out sooner, weigh yourself once a month and it will be months before you face the reality that you have not been losing and something needs to change in your lifestyle.

BTW the first month I was on MFP I gained weight.

I weigh myself everyday before dressing and eating.

IF you want some help to get rid of ups and downs in weight try http://physicsdiet.com/

Throughout the day as you eat, drink, breathe, sweat, and use the restroom your weight varies. In fact, from one day to the next your weight can vary by as much as 13 1/2 pounds.

That is why most people recommend that you don't weigh yourself every day. It is emotionally draining to look at the scale one day and see that you've lost 3 pounds, only to look at it the next day to see that you've gained 5 pounds. Most people, including me, can't take that kind of emotional abuse.

That was the genius of John Walker's The Hacker's Diet. He knew that those random variations are just noise. To really understand how you are doing on a diet you need to filter out that noise. And there are plenty of tools in the mathematical toolbox to filter out such noise. After a bit of trial and error John Walker settled on using an exponentially smoothed moving average. And that is what the PhysicsDiet.com uses too.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    The only people who should weigh daily are those who can handle their progress chart looking like the rocky mountains. My husband can do it, and his chart looks like the rocky mountain - and he doesn't care - he says he can see the gradual downward slope, and he's okay with it.

Weighing daily is SO not the way to go for me. My official weigh-in day is Monday. I might weigh myself on Sunday night or Monday morning to get an idea of what happened that week, but if I weigh in everyday, it just plays with my head because there are too many factors that can influence weight from day to day - salt intake, how much water you drank and when, etc. etc.

You have to do what works for you, and it doens't sound like weighing daily is it. Not if it's going to frustrate you this much.

Go back to weekly weigh-ins.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a data nerd...the more the better. I weigh every day and log it in a spreadsheet along with calories consumed, exercise calories, and net calories. Every week I average the weight and net calories. I don't obsess over the daily weighings because I am more concerned over how I'm trending on a weekly basis with respect to the net calories. If trending in a direction I like, I don't change anything. If trending in a direction I don't like, I do nothing for one week and reassess. If the results are still trending wrong then I adjust the calorie levels.

It's certainly not a rapid process, but it allows me to make decisions based on rigor instead of emotion. Also, if I weighed only once a week it may be on a day where I'm fluctuating high/low - thus causing me to make a calorie decision based on erroneous info.

Good luck.
  • apnovack
    Options
    This reminds me of that joke: A man walks into a Dr's office and says to the doctor "Hey, Doc, it really hurts when I do this.". So the doctor looks at the patient, and says, "So stop doing that".

Spot on!