no upper body strength

Options
hey everyone.. I am a 26 yr old female with about 40 lbs to lose. I am pretty much active, dance a lot and go to the gym regularly. Thing is when I try doing push ups (even girly ones) I just cant do it.. planks.. side planks.. tried bench press with 2 lbs - couldnt even go half way ..anything relating to the upper body.. my body is very flexible otherwise.. I don't lift weights.. (never liked them)

How can I make my upper body strong? My body shape is that of an apple.. so all of my weight is concentrated on my back and the middle...

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Try incline pushups (like against the counter top).
    Try negative pushups -- just lower yourself down (don't worry about pushing back up), but try to do it as slowly as possible, resisting gravity.

Same with dips. Try some on a stair or the counter or bench. If they are too hard, again you can try negatives (just lowering yourself down, but resisting the whole time).

Planks you can try on your elbows, just for a few seconds the first time, adding a couple of seconds each session. Put your feet wider apart to make it easier. You can even do them on your knees if needed.

I am positive you can bench press 2 pounds. You are probably just psyching yourself out. If weights freak you out, you can stick with the above body weight exercises for now, but just know that you likely can do it if/when you feel like it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Try incline pushups (like against the counter top).
    Try negative pushups -- just lower yourself down (don't worry about pushing back up), but try to do it as slowly as possible, resisting gravity.

Same with dips. Try some on a stair or the counter or bench. If they are too hard, again you can try negatives (just lowering yourself down, but resisting the whole time).

Planks you can try on your elbows, just for a few seconds the first time, adding a couple of seconds each session. Put your feet wider apart to make it easier. You can even do them on your knees if needed.

I am positive you can bench press 2 pounds. You are probably just psyching yourself out. If weights freak you out, you can stick with the above body weight exercises for now, but just know that you likely can do it if/when you feel like it.

I have to agree with this guy. If you couldn't even bench press 2 pounds, you would find it nearly impossible to function in daily life. Picking up the average woman's purse would likely prove too much for your shoulders. There's something more mental than physical going on here.
  • Pooj_K
    Pooj_K Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess it is a mental thing if I struggle with the minimal set of weights.. I will start doing all of the above and see how it goes.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Just remember:
    Do a little more each time. Extra rep, extra weight. Doesn't matter.
    As long as you work harder than your last workout.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I had pitiful upper body strength when I started too. I did negative pushups and lifted with really light weights to start. I increased the weight as often as I could. It took time but I've developed enough upperbody strength that I can do regular pushups now
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You couldn't bench 2 pounds or you couldn't bench an additional 2 pounds on the bar? These are very different amounts...

Start with small free weights and work yourself up from there. I couldn't do a good pushup when I started.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. When I started working out I could only hold a plank for 5 seconds. I've done virtually nothing but planks for my upper body and now I can hold it for a good 30 seconds. Everytime it gets longer. If you don't want to life weights, then take something like the plank and hold it for the few seconds that you can, and keep doing it, trying to hold it longer every time, eventually you'll get there.

I couldn't do crunches either, my abbs wouldn't let me, I stuck at it and I've just done 240...

Perserverence is the only way to improve. Find the excersise that you want to be able to do and stick at it, push through and you'll get there.
  • gtahvfaith
    Options
    I was the same as you. I had no upper arm strength. Without even thinking Yoga could help with this I bought the Bob Harper Yoga DVD. In a few weeks I was doing 20 pushups! Give it a try!
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    i'm the same, no upper body strength at all
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone else. It just takes time!

Start with small soup cans if you need too, then move on to big ones! I did that. :3
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? TRX is an excellent upper body workout. They have at-home systems for about $200.

Otherwise, the only way to start building up strength is to start doing all of those things that you say you can't... Pushups, planks, etc. Today you might be able to only do 5 pushups, but if you keep doing them and pushing yourself, soon you'll be adding more. Same with planks--start small--3 sets of 15 seconds, but try to add more time each time--even if in small increments.

You'll get there!

Edited to say--if you are self-conscious about doing these at the gym, they are all things that you can easily do in the privacy of your own home until you get stronger!
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    hey everyone.. I am a 26 yr old female with about 40 lbs to lose. I am pretty much active, dance a lot and go to the gym regularly. Thing is when I try doing push ups (even girly ones) I just cant do it.. planks.. side planks.. tried bench press with 2 lbs - couldnt even go half way ..anything relating to the upper body.. my body is very flexible otherwise.. I don't lift weights.. (never liked them)

How can I make my upper body strong? My body shape is that of an apple.. so all of my weight is concentrated on my back and the middle...

Thanks in advance!

You can start with the "weightless bar" that only weighs about 15 lbs, 1/3 of the regular bar. Or start with the small dumbbells. Or both. Start super light and do 5 sets of 5. Increase the weight each time. If you get to where you can't do it, drop back to your last weight and try again.
  • Pooj_K
    Options
    You couldn't bench 2 pounds or you couldn't bench an additional 2 pounds on the bar? These are very different amounts...

Start with small free weights and work yourself up from there. I couldn't do a good pushup when I started.

I attended this group power class.. where I had to grab a bar bell slip on some weights and do the bench presses. Everyone around me were adding huge weights and me I added 2 lbs and oh boy.. i struggled.. I thought i'd feel like a fool if I just lift the bar bells without adding any weights...
  • Pooj_K
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? TRX is an excellent upper body workout. They have at-home systems for about $200.

Otherwise, the only way to start building up strength is to start doing all of those things that you say you can't... Pushups, planks, etc. Today you might be able to only do 5 pushups, but if you keep doing them and pushing yourself, soon you'll be adding more. Same with planks--start small--3 sets of 15 seconds, but try to add more time each time--even if in small increments.

You'll get there!

Edited to say--if you are self-conscious about doing these at the gym, they are all things that you can easily do in the privacy of your own home until you get stronger!

Yes I go to a gym and I've seen people training with the TRX. I am a little conscious about doing it at the gym.. so yeah first let me work on this at home and then show off at the gym later ;)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I attended this group power class.. where I had to grab a bar bell slip on some weights and do the bench presses. Everyone around me were adding huge weights and me I added 2 lbs and oh boy.. i struggled.. I thought i'd feel like a fool if I just lift the bar bells without adding any weights...

The bar weighs 45lbs. So technically, you couldn't bench 47lbs.

I agree with others - start doing body weight exercises. And look around on here for success stories from women who do lift heavy weights. Maybe you'll get inspired to start? (note - heavy doesn't mean 300lbs.....heavy means heavy for you!)
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Bump, I have this problem too. Have since grade school. Lifting now but still cannot do a girl pushup.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I was strength-training last night -- with just my body weight (planks, pushups, etc...). I am completely weak on upperbody, and left leg. I could do lunges by pressing up on my right leg, but not my left.
  • chrisa8170
    chrisa8170 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm following the one hundred pressups programme (hundredpushups.com) and you can start with any style i,e full pushups, 'alternative' aka girlie and even planks. and the info is free. Just make sure you do every other day to allow for recovery and you shoudl start to see a steady improvement. So if you start with planks, get to a level where you are doing a large number of reps then try an alternative push up, don't be dishartened if you end up changing styles and going back to low number reps, just focus on the progress you are making and remember, slow and steady.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    *double post* sorry, my computer is being a brat.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

You'll get there!

Yes I go to a gym and I've seen people training with the TRX. I am a little conscious about doing it at the gym.. so yeah first let me work on this at home and then show off at the gym later ;)

I am like you. No upper body strength at all and just started TRX last week at my gym. My entire body was shaking when I walked out after my first class, but I LOVED it. I felt super self-conscious at first, but 3 minutes in you're too busy pushing yourself to worry about anyone else.