Pregnancy, weight gain, and weight flucuation.

Options
I know this isn't about weight LOSS, but I wasn't sure where else to post this. I am 10 weeks pregnant, 5th pregnancy. My weight has always fluctuated a lot depending on what I eat (lots of carbs or sodium equals bloating). But its even worse now. Some days I am extremely bloated, and I will weigh in at 129 (up from my original weight of 126). Then the bloating finally subsides and I am only 126.4. Which is only a .4 lb gain through this whole 10 weeks. I know that a lot of people don't gain much their first trimester, but I figured I would gain a bit more because my doctor didn't clear me to do most of the exercises I like. I will ask my doctor about this as well, but I was wondering if anyone else had this much weight fluctuation when they were pregnant? I know that your digestion slows dramatically while you are pregnant, so that could have something to do with it...?

Replies

• mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Early on, it's common to not gain a lot. I didn't gain any weight with either pregnancy until about 20 weeks and it was only a couple pounds. Then around 30-32 weeks I started really gaining. Both times I gained about 40 and like 34 of it was in the last month or so. Luckily it was a lot of fluids. I wouldn't worry unless the doctor seems to worry, but excessive morning sickness is the first thing I think of.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm 23.5 weeks and mine fluctuates really quickly (fast on the way up, slower on the way down). I ate a lot on Monday and on Tuesday morning was 4 lbs higher than on Monday morning. Now I KNOW that's not all "real" weight gain, most of it has to be water but digestion patterns change and you're more likely to bloat because of high progesterone levels. I wouldn't worry unless your doc is worried about your lack of weight gain. You don't need a whole lot of extra cals, just a bit above maintenance. Just make sure you're getting your vitamins, minerals and macros (fat, protein, carbs) in.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    The fluctuations are normal, especially if you're sodium and water intake is all over the map. Pregnancy hormones can make you bloat up quite a bit early on (exactly what happened to me).

Start tracking your sodium intake, try to balance it with high-potassium foods (starchy veggies like potatoes, peas, etc. and bananas), and up your water intake. Your carb intake should be consistent also. Having a day where you overeat the carbs will make you bloat up a little as well.

Try to be consistent with your tracking.
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy = lots of bloating, swelling, etc., in addition to actual weight gain. I didn't weigh myself during my pregnancy, except for at the doctor's office. I wouldn't worry about your weight gain unless your doctor is concerned.

That being said, it's okay to not gain a lot in your first trimester. And, even if you can't do much exercising, most doctors will okay you for walking.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses, I feel much better knowing that its not totally weird! My doc said not to worry about the fluctuations as long as my weight isn't in an overall downward trend. I don't have awful morning sickness, just nausea when I first wake up. But for some reason, my body just doesn't want to gain it and keep it on! I will definitely watch the sodium intake and try to just stay away from foods that make me bloat so I can get a better idea of actual gain. Thanks for the advice everyone! :flowerforyou: