How long on the elliptical?

Options
I just got an elliptical machine from someone and was excited to start and was shocked after less than 5 minutes, I had to get off because my leg muscles were shaking so bad! No matter if I am overweight, my legs have always been the strongest part of my body( years of waitressing) and never had a problem exercising my legs! How long does everyone do on the elliptical? Is it just something that I have to work up to? And what are the benefits as compared to a treadmill? Thanks!

Replies

• megannxx
    megannxx Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The longest I can go on a ellicptical is 30 minutes. The first couple mins my legs are a bit shaky, then they are fine afterwards. I enjoy the elliptical more so than the treadmill. I'm not sure on the benefits of either but I cant last that long on the treadmill.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    last time i used one was on holiday and started timing myself from 20minutes then over the weeks pushing myself a little to hit 45 minutes ...was great as it faced the tv so good distractions help :) saying that i am godawful on a treadmill !
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    In the beginning stage it is hard, it is a close comparison to jogging for me and depends on how hard you are pushing yourself. During the week I do the elliptical for 1 hour at an incline of 30 with a resistance level of 5 and the weekend I do anywhere from a hour to hour and a half. I love the elliptical more than the treadmill, I come off dripping wet, it is a great workout.

However, I don't know what level you were at, or how low you had the incline, all that has to be taken in to account, maybe you started off at an higher angle than you can handle

Good luck
  • teioneon
    teioneon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My first time on an elliptical was for about 7 minutes. I too had some shaky legs but I said I would add another minute or 2 each time I came back. I eventually got to 60 minutes in the program I was using. I do like the non pounding on my knees and use it for as a part of cross training on my non run/walk days. Keep working at it and just go a little longer each time. All baby steps but you will eventually get to where you want to be.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ A few years ago I got on an elliptical machine and did 10 min ... thought I was going to die !

~ Today ... I am a fitness fanatic and up until three months ago, I never attempted this machine again ... well to my surprise, I found out I love it !!!!! Currently I do 60 min on a day I have to be some where ... I love doing 90 min ... and sometimes I have to make myself get off ! I use all the different levels ... fave is " random with hills " ...

I never in a million years thought I would enjoy this machine ... but seriously ... I LOVE IT !

Just start out slow and work yourself up to whatever you enjoy doing ! The benefits are incredible ... not that a treadmill can't be a healthy choice ... any movement is a better choice than doing nothing ... but the elliptical takes you to the next level ! The workout on your legs is amazing and well the muscles in my *kitten*, Hmmmmm ... yeah AMAZING !

:flowerforyou:
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was so embarrased the first time I tried it, I could only do 3 minutes, but then the next time I did five, then ten, then 15 etc. I can now do 30 minutes at increased levels and backwards too! just takes time to build endurance, you can do it!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I just got an elliptical machine from someone and was excited to start and was shocked after less than 5 minutes, I had to get off because my leg muscles were shaking so bad! No matter if I am overweight, my legs have always been the strongest part of my body( years of waitressing) and never had a problem exercising my legs! How long does everyone do on the elliptical? Is it just something that I have to work up to? And what are the benefits as compared to a treadmill? Thanks!

Just take it a bit slower and don't give up. It takes awhile for your body to get used to exercise. You will get stronger and stronger as you work/heal/work/heal. Rest and healing is as much a part of the process as is the work. As your body gets stronger you can work harder, longer, and more often. Gotta give it time to adjust.

Just don't fall into the trap I did thinking cardio will help you lose weight. It's good for you but you can't out exercise too many calories. My story here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I lifted heavy and ran marathon after marathon thinking this time I would lose. Losing weight is really all about a calorie deficit and exercise is all about being good for you, making you look good when you lose the weight, and maintaining your lean body mass.

If I could encourage you to lift weights. Even just a simple program with dumbbells at home. Why? I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifiting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe this is why people think I look much younger than almost 52, I believe it was the years of lifting.

It's never too late, and you can start even when you are over weight. Just use the weights appropriate and it will go up just like the time on your elliptical machine. You will lose weight faster than you will build muscle. Building muscle is a much slower process. Best to start ASAP so you will have something pretty to look at once the weight is gone.

Best of luck to you! Bobbie.
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    First time on did 20 min. Thought I was gonna die-- but figured 20 mins better than nothing. Now I average 60-90 min with free weight. Hang in there-- you'll be surprised how much stronger u become very quick. I couldn't have accomplished anything if I hadn't gotten on that machine and kept going back. Hang in there and WELCOME TO THE ELLIPTICAL CLUB
  • somervilleshar
    somervilleshar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi I do 30 minutes, and yes I suggest you build up to it. The elliptical is much easier on your knees compaired to a treadmill.
  • mama4loca
    Options
    I was so embarrased the first time I tried it, I could only do 3 minutes, but then the next time I did five, then ten, then 15 etc. I can now do 30 minutes at increased levels and backwards too! just takes time to build endurance, you can do it!

Oh good, I don't feelso bad now! lol
  • mama4loca
    Options
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I use the one at my gym that I can set to keep a more or less steady heart rate. I set it for 150 and it adjusts the intensity to maintain that. Typically, I do 30 - 40 minutes with a 5 minute cool down.

I agree with the others - hang in there.
  • mama4loca
    Options
    Wow thanks ya'll for the positive feedback! I WILL keep it up - it seems to be a really good work out- well, the 5 minutes I can do! haha I am impressed wth everyone who can do it for that long- wow :)
  • mama4loca
    Options
    In the beginning stage it is hard, it is a close comparison to jogging for me and depends on how hard you are pushing yourself. During the week I do the elliptical for 1 hour at an incline of 30 with a resistance level of 5 and the weekend I do anywhere from a hour to hour and a half. I love the elliptical more than the treadmill, I come off dripping wet, it is a great workout.

However, I don't know what level you were at, or how low you had the incline, all that has to be taken in to account, maybe you started off at an higher angle than you can handle

Good luck

Well, the batteries are not in it,so i can't see what I'm doing so I might be doing too much...going to get batteries today!
  • mommyfauc
    mommyfauc Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You did better then me! My first time I lasted 3 minutes! I'm up to 25 now after only like a month.
  • DixieStarr76
    Options
    I am so glad that I saw this! I just bought an elliptical the night before last. I got up super early yesterday, stoked to workout on it. After about two minutes, my legs were like, "Hahahahahaha. No." I didn't give up. I worked on it throughout the day. Today, I can do five minutes...lol. I won't stop. This is more about how I feel than how I look. I want to feel like I can go anywhere and do anything, accomplish any goal.
  • owski17
    owski17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Its something that you need to build up to, the first time I EVER used an elliptical it kicked my butt within the first 10 min. I now do anywhere from 30 to 60 min(jsut depending how much time i have). It will get easier if you stick with it!
  • cdub78
    cdub78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried an Arc Machine??? It's like an elliptical and a stairmaster had a baby and it was an evil little brat! I used to do 40 minutes on the elliptical after I got used to it I switched to the Arc. Tip for the elliptical....when your legs feel like they are giving up...pedal backwards! Gives those muscles a break and works on other ones. I always tell myself this too.....if I can say one more fry won't kill me then one more minute on the elliptical isn't either!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Good luck

Well, the batteries are not in it,so i can't see what I'm doing so I might be doing too much...going to get batteries today!

If there are no batteries in the machine, then it's probably at 0 resistance...lowest level. Most machines that take batteries in the display won't adjust the resistance unless the display is working.
  • pt85
    pt85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

For almost a year straight I did the ARC Trainer 750 at LVAC in Las Vegas 4:30 am 2nd row 2nd machine 1 ONE hour a day. If I looked at the clock before the hour was up I would add 5 minutes. One time I peeked at 3 seconds left and had to do 5 more minutes.

CHANGED MY WHOLE LIFE. Later I got doubles on it.

Then one day it had a blue sign about 4x6" on it that said: "Please be Patient while we service this equipment" It was like a Badge of Honor. I rode that piece of crap machine into the ground and they had to cart it out of there! Been a daily outside runner since.

Visited it a couple of weeks ago.