food budget

Options
2»

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Pay close attention to sale prices and stock up when there's a low price. Pair sales with coupons if possible.
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    $25.00 isn't a lot but it can be done. The key is trying to stock up when you can find things cheap or on sale. If you live in a town that has several stores then find out when they change their ads out and keep an eye on the specials they are running that week. I do that and I have found frozen veggies for less than a dollar a bag and boneless, skinless chicken breast for less than $4.00 a bag.

If you can before you move out, I would try and gather up as many dry foods as you can so you won't have to start from scratch. Tuna, canned chicken, cereals, whole grain pastas and spices are a good thing to get before you move out on your own.

Aldis is a good place to go. Big Lots is where I get my spices and some of my dry goods for really cheap.

Good luck..
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Frozen or canned fruits and veggies are pretty cheap, so maybe those instead of fresh fruit & veggies for a while?

If you do go this way try and stay away from caned veggies as much as you can there nasty high in sodium. I just found this out myself.

There are plenty of companies that make salt free canned vegetables.

True. I haven't found many on a budget yet. Im probly not looking hard enough though. :p
  • bailer1310
    Options
    Frozen Vegatables - Steamer packages $1.27 @ Walmart. 3 packages can last you a week.
    A package of frozen salmon @ Walmart - $4.98 (4 individually wrapped filets)
    1 package of chicken breat fillets - $5 - $
    Fresh Fruit - Stawberries, oranges - $4
    Whole wheat Grain Bread - $2.98
    Sliced Turkey - $4.00

It can be done...but you have to be frugal, clip coupons and look for sales!! Good Luck.
  • RuthAne
    RuthAne Posts: 130
    Options
    eggs
  • saugustin07
    saugustin07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I usually pick two meals I can eat all week long for lunch and dinner and eat the same thing for breakfast everyday

Breakfast oatmeal/ or boiled egg and fruit

I only by fruits & veggies that are on sale and in season!

Lunch/ Dinner - homemade nachos with black beans salsa, cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt / fish & salad

The fish was on sale as well as the salad

If fresh veggies are too much choose frozen over canned!
    Canned veggies tend to have a lot of added crap!

With some snacks

My total usually comes to $30 ish

Always make a list before you leave, look for sales, coupons!
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi around you? They are great in prices and have a wonderful Fit & Active line that will help you keep on track. If not, I would watch any adds and build up a pantry when things go on sale. Once you get it built up a bit, $25 would be easy! I have a great pantry and just keep creamed soups to cook with with, tomato pastes, sauces and diced/stewed cans, chicken stock. If you can buy in bulk, that helps too. Good luck. It's a challenge, that should make it fun :-)
  • chchchangess
    Options
    http://ask.metafilter.com/111595/How-to-Eat-off-of-25-a-week this page has tons of helpful tips too.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    That is a really low budget. That's half of what I was spending on just myself, 6 years ago.

Anyway, I agree with what's been said before. Try shopping at stores like Aldi or Save-A-Lot. I also agree with the Asian Markets. There is a great one near me. There are some odd foods there, but there are also good deals on produce and seafood. Just stay away from the cookies.

Portion out your food when you're done cooking it. Put some in the bowl you're going to eat out of, and put the rest in lunch sized portions in containers. Freeze whatever you can't eat in a few days. If you're going to eat on the cheap, you're probably going to cook a lot. You can't afford to let anything spoil.

I also buy a lot of eggs and frozen veggies. They are easy and they store well.

Buy produce in small quantities just for the spoiling factor.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lauryn86
    lauryn86 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yeah the steamers at walmart are good there is like usually 2 svs to a pack. I get the rice ones two and split that up for two dinners. I buy a bag of cooked chicken breasts so all i have to do is pop them in the microwave, they are around 7.00 but i use them for most meals at dinner. Also like someone said, the salmon is great too 5.00 for 4 fillets. Bananas and strawberries and grapes are good "keepers" and usually cheap-excpt only in season with stberries. I like a 1.00 lean hot pocket for breakfast or you can get the 1.49 pack of like 12 fit and active waffles at aldi and i put peanut butter and cut banana on those. DELICIOUS. CHEAP. AND at walmart for your lunches, get the Tuna to go! Comes with a mint, napkin, silverware, relish, tuna pack and red. fat mayo, UNDER 1.50 usually!!!! Soup is cheap too. Check out my blog for more ideas www.cupcakesandcardio.blogspot.com!!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    You can stretch out your food by, for example, using chicken and vegetables to make soup, then saving the boiled chicken meat and vegetables for later meals. You can also stretch out ground meat by making meatloaf or chili. For a snack, you can buy a container of plain popcorn kernels and pop them with a little oil on the stove top. That is very filling and also very cheap.

Also, buy staples in bulk and learn how to freeze fruits and vegetables so that you can buy them when they are in season (and therefore cheaper) and keep them for later.
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    $25.00 a week would be tough, but I imagine that it is only you you are feeding on the $25.00.

I would find a good farmers type market and shop there sales (I shop at Sprouts)

I feed my family of 3 on $75- $90.00 a week which breaks out to about $25.00-$33.00 per person. (Please note this is for food only, not other essentials like t.p. cleaning supplies, etc that we get at Costco)

Find things that get you more than one meal in left overs or made with the same thing (1 package of ground turkey woudl feed one person serveral meals and only costs around $5.00 and you can make tacos, ground turkey burgers, etc. with it)

I would shop the sales and buy only what on sale, if Strawberries and Potatoes are on sale this week, you eat that, if it's bananas and lettuce next week you eat that.

Buy as fresh as possible, but make sure you eat it before it goes bad.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Just worked out that I spend $20 per person (In the UK, used a conversion), per week. It's very do-able, bulk cook, shop for offers, don't buy anything you don't need to. Downgrade the brands you buy, you always pay more for big names.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to get creative. I don't like lentils, but I do like them in burritos with mustard. I am also working on a mashed lentil recipe. You can make potatoes in a million different ways, and they are so cheap. There are many recipes on the web on how to make mashed potatoes with mashed beans mixed in for more protein and satiety. Try roasted chickpeas in place of potato chips. I'm going to try toasted/roasted lentils this weekend. Try to incorporate foods that keep for awhile and you don't need to buy weekly--oatmeal tubs, rice. Remember to buy beans dry and plan ahead. Lentils are great because you don't have to plan ahead. You can also cook them in the rice cooker. If you have a crockpot (or even if you don't,) experiment with soups and stews.

Look around online for couponing sites that will download automatically to your grocery store savings card. I use Savingstar, but I think it is new and there aren't many offers just yet that I want. But it gives you money back in terms of Amazon money and stuff like that (which can be used to buy food.) Make sure to use your grocery store savings cards. Don't be shy when people ask you what you want for Christmas to tell them grocery store gift cards if necessary. If you qualify income-wise, you can also check out food pantries and community meals. Your local United Way can help you find them.
  • Saezimmerman
    Saezimmerman Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Check your community's FaceBook page for a local farmer's market. You can get some great fresh fruit and veg this way.

Another suggestion is to break your budget down into categories so that you make sure you don't blow the budget on only one type of nutrition. You can do this a number of ways:

Option 1:
    ~Proteins: $12
    ~Fruit & Veg: $8
    ~Carbs: $3
    ~Treat: $2

Option 2
    ~Breakfast: $5
    ~Lunch/Dinner: $18
    ~Treat: $2

You'll notice I included a small treat in both options. On a budget, it's important to give yourself a little treat regularly so that you don't go on a spree after a few weeks of depriving yourself.
  • Sarahmarie51285
    Options
    I have read before that frozen fruits and veggies are not only less expensive, but also really good for you. They pick them at the peak of freshness and preserve them, then freeze them to lock in all the nutients. I know that on the Target website they have had coupons for the Market Pantry brand frozen fruits and veggies. Also, this time of year keep your eye out for Del Monte coupons, they usually have some out for the holiday season. I like the Green Giant Just for One packs. They come in packages of 4 for about $2.50 here in MN, and they are great little sides for lunches or dinners! Also, make sure that you are purchasing fresh fruits and veggies that are in season, when you buy them out of season, they can drain your pocket book. They also say that if you purchase more fruits and veggies your grocery bill will be less since you are not buying a bunch of other filler food.