Cheat Days - Are You A Believer?

Options

Replies

• kulaid813
    Options
    I cheat on Saturdays. I usually eat anything I want for Saturday dinner and then don't weigh myself the following day. That keeps me from seeing the pound or so that I probably gained. By the next time I weigh myself after that, I'm still recording a weight loss, so it's not that discouraging. This works well for me as you can see below by my ticker. This also seems to help keep me motivated becasue it gives me incentive to work harder the other 6 days of the week knowing that I'm going to have a hearty meal on Saturday. ^_^
  • lmunro5394
    lmunro5394 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific "cheat" day. For ME, that would be a slippery slope! I don't deprive myself, if I want something, I make sure for one, that it fits into my calories for the day, but something else that I'm finding about myself is that I don't WANT to eat those things I use to crave anymore. It's not worth how I physically feel the next day.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    It works for me. Your mileage may vary.

I'm a believer
    I couldn't leave her

Actually I could, but I neither want nor need to.
  • LadyButterfingers
    Options
    this is something only you can answer because your body is unique. for example, when i hit a plateau, i eat
    McDonalds and BAM! i loose weight again. its weird (and awesome) and how my body looses weight.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't call them cheat days - that has such a bad and negative vibe. I feel one day a week is okay to not look and count the calories. You can go out to eat .. you can have a pizza or ice cream or go to that BBQ at your friend's house.

Log it if you want .. or don't. Chances are - you will already be paying attention to what you eat. Even if it is decadent and rich .. you'll most likely choose to smaller portions .. still enjoying the yummy goodness, but not over indulging.

I think holidays, weddings... special occasions can wreak havoc on your diet if you let those get out of hand, we're all human - but don't deprive yourself if you wanna have one "fun" day to eat what you want :flowerforyou:
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I look at it more like calorie cycling than cheat days. If I eat more one day I'll eat less the next (though I try not to go under my bmr).
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific "cheat" day. For ME, that would be a slippery slope! I don't deprive myself, if I want something, I make sure for one, that it fits into my calories for the day, but something else that I'm finding about myself is that I don't WANT to eat those things I use to crave anymore. It's not worth how I physically feel the next day.

Pretty much this. I don't believe in cheat days because I will over-do it. Also I'm not sure I could wait for one day that could be like 5 days away if I want something now! If I want something I have it provided my calories allow it, or I find an alternative that will satisfy me.
  • tatev94
    Options
    I don't believe of anything as "cheating". What we are doing here is changing our lives. Yes, at some point you will be at the goal weight and need to maintain, but I would say that you should give yourself a break here or there. You will ultimately feel like you are "missing" something, and your "diet" will fail.

Very well said. It's not a diet - you should eat like this for the rest of your life. Well, you'll be able to eat a few more calories once you've reached your goal but you still have to be relatively disciplined in order to maintain a healthy weight. It's not like you can hit goal & suddenly start eating take-out 3 times a week again, or having a huge candy bar every day, or sitting in front of the TV with a bag of potato chips. You still have to think about eating healthfully; eventually you won't have to think about it so much because it will be completely natural for you.

That being said, I am a firm believer in treating yourself once in a while. The key for me is to PLAN it ahead of time so I can eat really well the rest of the day (or week, depending on the situation!) For example, I know we are going out to eat this evening at a steakhouse. I know I'm going to have prime rib, baked potato & broccoli. I've looked up calorie/fat/protein in advance, and I've adjusted the rest of my daily intake. Not a problem. When people spring stuff on me without warning ("Guess what? I stopped at the bake shop on my way in this morning & brought bagels!") I usually pass unless I know I can make up for it by eating less or working out more.
    this is something only you can answer because your body is unique. for example, when i hit a plateau, i eat
    McDonalds and BAM! i loose weight again. its weird (and awesome) and how my body looses weight.

This has happened to me also. I have no clue how or why.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Not really, if I want to eat more I go burn more. There have been days I went over my calories but it's not very often and I'm OK with it and whatever impact it might have on my goals.
  • smnassise
    smnassise Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It works for me. Your mileage may vary.

I'm a believer
    I couldn't leave her

Actually I could, but I neither want nor need to.

Monkey's reference...sweet.
  • svmaksimovich
    Options
    I definitely include a cheat dinner... for a few reasons:

1) It gives me something to look forward to during the week

2) It let's you breathe a little easier knowing that you worked so hard during the week and you get to enjoy a meal without feeling guilty about it :)

3) Being a runner, I usually do a long run during the weekend and I have burned off enough calories to wear I can enjoy this meal without hurting me.

Hope this helps.
  • Cardiofit29
    Options
    No such thing as "cheat days! Days turn into weeks...and before you know it, all your hardwork will be in vain.
    If you feel that a "reward meal" is deserving, BY ALL MEANS HAVE ONE IN MODERATION.
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I tried to indulge in a "cheat" meal, but felt so guilty I hopped on my exercise bike afterwards to burn off some of the excess calories. I guess I didn't want to ruin any of the progress I had made. I know, total wimp, eh? lol
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    ok so what exactly is a cheat meal? I can understand have a bikkie or a bar of chocolate but wouldnt your main meals usually be good food,say meat/chicken/fish veg or salad that wouldnt be cheating!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I only really cheat when it can't be helped like going out to eat and don't want to bother counting calories when we go to certain places. If I'm having friends over I will enjoy my day with them and not worry. Just had a pizza Saturday for the football game. I just don't plan a cheat day for every week because I'm happy with what I am eating now so I don't get tempted as much but yes I have them on occasions because this is a lifestyle change for me not a diet
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a rule of thumb when it comes to this topic. Do whatever works for you. If you cheat so bad that it undoes an entire week's worth of work you should probably revise your cheat plan. If you can't revise your cheat plan (self control), then don't do it at all.

I do a cheat meal or two throughout the week and lose just fine. That small break gives me motivation, and the more I live this healthy lifestyle, the less bad my cheat meals get.
  • aliadd70
    Options
    Two to three days a week I eat more calories than stated on MFP. I tend to eat desserts or some chips or some things that I usually don't eat the other 4-5 days a week. However, there are some foods that I know I can not eat or some drinks I know I can not drink, for they are my trigger foods. Like Ramen noodles or Mountain Dew or Reese's. Those things are addicting to me and I can not eat them in moderation. Thus far, I have gone 17 weeks without a gain. However, I still have quite a bit of weight to lose. I do not know if this approach of mine will work once I am in maintaining mode. Sooo, this is probably not the healthiest advice, but it works for me and keeps me from binging.
  • tmwk51
    tmwk51 Posts: 9
    Options
    I absolutly (sp) believe. Everything I am craving I can say I will have that on free day, I usually don't eat everything that I have been wanting but just to know I can makes a huge difference then to say never again. and I have lost 77pounds!! But whatever works for you is the best thing to do.
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I feel like within my calorie range.

I am a saint Monday to Friday, sticking to 1200 cals and banking all my exercise calories to use on the weekend. Then I can have fun on the weekend and just make sure my net cals for the week are balanced.

I've been doing this for 5 weeks and have lost 11 lbs so far.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I believe in moderation. If I want to eat something, I do. I just try not to over do it and I try to stay within my calories. If I go over, I just try to do better the next day. I found that if I am too strict with my diet and eliminate something, I will not succeed.

Exactly the same here :)